No announcement yet.

Chill Out 2022 date...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The land barge is in the garage with the time out nearly ready to roll. Need to do an oil check and pressure check, but packing is nearly done! Looking forward to another nice relaxing weekend in TN.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Comment

Where are the early bird pictures???
      Jim & Tammie (Not the Bakers)
      2011 FLHTK & Lees-ure Lite
      2012 Vstrom & 2012 Frankenstrom, 2017 DRZ400
      YouTube Channel: WolfPackOne

Comment

Made it home about 6:30. Little rain, but only after crossing the FL/GA line. A needed relief from the heat. Great to see everyone again.

Comment

Well that return trip sure was something'.

And by somethin' I mean it sucked serious ass.

I left a hair earlier than I usually do, about 845 so I was hopeful and confident I would not have to deal with too much major knoxville traffic. And I was right. There was only one slow down and I made it through town pretty smoothly. Until I didnt.

I was humpin' it through the mountains at about 80 ... just doing what I needed to do to keep up with traffic. At one point my ass was a little shaky and my trailer was all over the place...this didnt seem right...so I took an abrupt exit into Rocky Top TN to investigate. I got to the stop sign, no issue, and when i turned left towards the gas station immediately after I pulled out my whole back end was uncontrollable. I made it to the shoulder to investigate and found the rear tire flat, and partially off the bead. Well, lovely.

I checked my insurance cards, and called state farm only to find that I do NOT have any sort of coverage for roadside assistance. Great. I also let my GWRRA membership (with towing lapse). Great. And I let my AMA expire, because they spam SO MUCH. Great.

I said screw it, fired up the wing, and road that bucking bronco to the gas station within eyesight to see what could be done. I didn't know what I didn't know, so I started to throw everything at it. I started with the bead because that was necessary right? Well I grabbed a bottle of ether and a lighter to do the ole ether and lighter trick, and she didn't take. It wasnt so far off the bead, so the ether was just spraying on the rubber, not actually getting inside the tire. Ok....so lets go the fixaflat route. I managed to the bike into a grassy embankment and partially tipped her over so I could see better what I was working with. I dumped in a can of 'inflator spray' which has some sort of sealing additive. It was pushing the tire up onto the bead, but not far enough, so I hooked up the compressor to get it some motivation. Never went back on.

At this point, the tire was holding some pressure, but I found the puncture. Ironically enough, just to spite me, all the sealing fluid was dumping out of the tire through said puncture. So, at least I knew what I was dealing with. At about this time, a guy in a RAM 1500 rolled in with a blown rear tire....I feel like there had to be something on the highway that I ran over. Again I said screw it, hooked up the trailer, pumped it up with more air, and rode to the Econolodge in Rocky Top TN.

I went ahead and asked if they had a room, and the owner was nice enough to let me in...it was only like noon. So I fired up the AC unit, grabbed my laptop and started to figure out how in the hell I was going to get home. Everything in BFE Tennessee is closed on Sundays. I called a local motorcycle shop and oddly enough a guy actually answered while I was leaving a message. I was trying to find out if I could have the bike towed there for service first thing in the morning. He said sure, but he didnt have a tire that would fit the wing. They had one on order, and might receive it Monday, but it might be Tuesday. It was also about 20 minutes away, and this is not an area that has taxis or uber. Ok, well that was certainly an option, provided I could ride with the tow truck to the shop, let them do their thing, and I'll be on my way. I emailed the ONE tire shop in Rocky Top, hoping maybe they might respond - they didn't.

Ok, so off to uhaul.com. I went ahead and set up a quote for a box truck, and a motorcycle trailer. It was gonna be like 300 bucks. And I still had a busted tire. Ok, not horrible, I can live with it....but again it was in another town and I have no method in which to get there. Ok, back burner that.

Earlier in my quest to find a tire, I was looking for an exact replacement for the car tire I had on the wing. 195/55/16, and no walmarts had them. In the interim, I walked down to advance auto to get a breaker bar, and a 19mm socket so if some solution comes up, I'd be able to get the wheel off. It dawned on me to check other sizes that Goldwing dark siders might use, sure enough 205/55/16, and the walmart in Clinton TN had them.

Now, I had asked a few guys that was standing around the hotel if they might be interested in making some money to transport me, if I were to find a solution. They said sure, depending on how many bourbon and cokes they were in to at that point. Fair enough, thankfully, armed with my new information on an alternate size, I ask if they are still coherent enough to drive. They were, and so I found a nice grassy location, with some rubber mats lying around no less, at the hotel to tip the wing fully over and remove the tire. I've talked about this with people and been like, that cant be good for the motor, but I'll be damned if it didnt work. Removed the lugs, little spritz of degreaser to aide in helping it slide out, and out she came. Off to walmart we went.

Now, you'd think to yourself, walmart will be cut and dry right? Nope. Talked to the clerk, and he was a nice enough guy. He was doing his job, and I don't fault him for it. Apparently walmart has a policy where they wont put a tire on, if it differs from the original size. A little begging and pleading to the shop manager, and they went ahead and did it. I was extremely appreciative and I would have never held them liable. So, half an hour later, tire is on...my new friends that gave me a ride have their dinner and new grill and are ready to head back.

Installation went as smooth as it could be trying to fit a car tire in there. It's a bit of a fiasco, for those who aren't aware. Thankfully some liberal use of purple power and it helps it to slide in past the plastic bags. Return trip was a little odd. I kept it to 73-75 mph because the tire was clearly displeased being on a motorcycle and was being kind of squirrely. I gave a prelim stop after about 50 miles to check pressure, and it was good. And I kept checking at every gas stop. Made it home just fine at about 1030pm, 14 hours after I left.

Glad to be home, appreciative of the folks that helped me out. I did give them a hundred bucks. In a comparison of how much I *could* have spent on a taxi ride, uhaul, whatever other alternative, a hundred bucks for an hour of their time was a great deal. And they seemed pleased to have their dinner more than covered.

Anyhow, that's my story, I'm going to be re-thinking this whole dark side things on the wing. Thankfully no one was hurt. I was damn lucky that I stopped when I did, it could have been WAY worse.
          Last edited by Derick; 06-05-2022, 10:18 PM.
          Current Bikes:

Comment

Got home 4:30 no problems. Good times to see every one

Comment

Originally posted by Derick View Post
              I'm going to be re-thinking this whole dark side things on the wing. Thankfully no one was hurt. I was damn lucky that I stopped when I did, it could have been WAY worse.
              Sorry to hear about all the troubles you had on your return trip. Two comments:

1. On a hot day, under stress and duress, we might not think of all the different options we have. Did you consider trying to purchase one of those string tire plugs to try and fix the leak in the tire?

2. I'm not looking to start a darkside debate, but one of the advantages of a motorcycle tire is the bead lock redundancy. I'm guessing the loss of air pressure caused the tire to come off the bead seat area..
              2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
              2014 Aspen Sentry
              2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Comment

Originally posted by lqqk_out View Post
                Sorry to hear about all the troubles you had on your return trip. Two comments:

1. On a hot day, under stress and duress, we might not think of all the different options we have. Did you consider trying to purchase one of those string tire plugs to try and fix the leak in the tire?
                I do carry a plug kit on board. The bead wouldnt reseat so I didn't figure it would matter anyhow. The tire was holding pressure (though leaking) so I feel like it would/should have had enough force to pop back on the bead in this case. Or, my little slime compressor didnt have enough umph to get the pressure up there.

Originally posted by lqqk_out View Post
                2. I'm not looking to start a darkside debate, but one of the advantages of a motorcycle tire is the bead lock redundancy. I'm guessing the loss of air pressure caused the tire to come off the bead seat area..
                That's what I am thinking too. My go-to for a long time, was a regular motorcycle tire, and then I was using the Ride-On additive. They pat themselves on the back for their product, and it works pretty well. I think that would have helped in this scenario had I gotten a puncture.
                Last edited by Derick; 06-06-2022, 08:52 AM.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

The Chill Out was great. Enjoyed seeing some old friends and making some new ones. My trip continued on to Asheville NC to visit friends. Arrived there in a short 3 hours. Hoping to ride into GA soon then back to St. Louis in a week or two barring any complications.

Derick: Sorry to hear about your troubles on the way home. I appreciate you posting about it. We can all learn from others experiences.
                  sigpic
                  Jeff
                  2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Comment

I made it back to Nashville in a little over 4 hours. 68 to Crossville and 70 to Lebanon, both really nice roads. Beautiful weather and little traffic, even on I-40 from Lebanon to Nashville.
                    A great weekend with friends, made some new ones, and the riding was, as always, a lot of fun on those roads. Kudos to Wendell for the great job he's doing with the infrastructure. I'm looking forward to 2023!
                    sigpic

Comment

I’m setting at Willville after a nice ride up the BRP to the first campground. The next day the rain and fog sets in and we ride the 100 miles down to the Lynn Cove Viaduct and it’s so foggy we can’t even see it! So we get off the Parkway and head for Virginia. As I am pulling in I notice the temperature hand is way up, the bike smells hot and the fan isn’t working! Will offers the use of his tools and some help to see if we can get the fan working but I decide to do the U Haul route after a major pain in the ass trying to get one lined up to rent. I didn’t want to get the fan working and then it overheat out on the road. I’m want to know what made it run hot enough for the fan to kick on during a high sixty degree day in misting rain. The only time I can remember it coming on was setting in traffic on an almost one hundred degree day. So I got to ride on the back of a Spyder to Martinsville to pick up the truck and then on to lunch with Don and Groundhog. Groundhog picked Don up so we could hang out a bit and eat. And yes they both have photos of my fat ass on the back of the Spyder!
                      Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

Well Ziggy, since you brought it up...and we all know that without pictures it didn't happen. So here's the proof.
                        Ziggy.jpg
                        Talmadge
                        "GroundHog"

Comment

Could have been worse Sorry I am not going to see you this trip but we will hook up later on.
                          Deb
                          sigpic
                          2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Comment

Originally posted by GroundHog View Post
                            Well Ziggy, since you brought it up...and we all know that without pictures it didn't happen. So here's the proof.
                            Ziggy.jpg
                            It's all good Steve. Real Men can get away with it!

Bitch.jpg
                            Attached Files
                            Jim & Tammie (Not the Bakers)
                            2011 FLHTK & Lees-ure Lite
                            2012 Vstrom & 2012 Frankenstrom, 2017 DRZ400
                            YouTube Channel: WolfPackOne

Comment

Originally posted by GroundHog View Post
                              Ziggy.jpg
                              I knew it wouldn’t take long! Thanks again for always being there buddy!
                              Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

Originally posted by WolfPackOne View Post

It's all good Steve. Real Men can get away with it!

Bitch.jpg
                                I’m surprised Bud didn’t make me carry a gas can!
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X