Chicago Int'l Motorcycle Show...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Int'l Motorcycle Show...

A couple friends and I attended the IMS this past weekend. I have to say, I was a bit underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong there were some beautiful bikes there. The new Harleys look alot like the older harleys. The new Goldwing is very nice. The Urals make me want to put my wife in the sidecar and ride. The Triumph Trophy seems to have died. The adv tourers that the others are putting out are all rather bland. The BMW GS and Triumph Tiger 800 drew my attention. Nothing there made me pant with desire. I had hoped for panting desire. Oh well, back to planning my upcoming trips...
    2017 Triumph Trophy SE

Re: Chicago Int'l Motorcycle Show...

I missed this one was shoveling snow all weekend.

Comment

I hear ya. I put about 10 hrs on my snow blower since Friday. 5 houses 4 times.
      2017 Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

I used to go every year but it seems to be the same thing year after year. Didn't even bother with it this year.

The way things have been lately we should have a snow blower show. I ran the heck out of mine this weekend.
        "Sappers Lead the Way"
        US Army (Retired) Combat Engineer

Comment

Perhaps it's the television channels I watch but I rarely see commercials for motorcycles. I saw
          one for Honda over the weekend. I think it was the Velocity Channel. Do any of you see commercials
          for motorcycles?
          sigpic
          Jeff
          2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Comment

Originally posted by GailForce View Post
            Perhaps it's the television channels I watch but I rarely see commercials for motorcycles. I saw
            one for Honda over the weekend. I think it was the Velocity Channel. Do any of you see commercials
            for motorcycles?
            Not too often. Now and then I'll see one on one of the motorsports channels, but not on the main channels.
            2017 Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

Originally posted by Hoovooloo View Post
              A couple friends and I attended the IMS this past weekend. I have to say, I was a bit underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong there were some beautiful bikes there. The new Harleys look alot like the older harleys. The new Goldwing is very nice. The Urals make me want to put my wife in the sidecar and ride. The Triumph Trophy seems to have died. The adv tourers that the others are putting out are all rather bland. The BMW GS and Triumph Tiger 800 drew my attention. Nothing there made me pant with desire. I had hoped for panting desire. Oh well, back to planning my upcoming trips...
              I have always wanted to attend one of these shows, but most of the locations are at least six hours or more away. I have family in Chicago so I guess I could combine the show with a visit. Is it just motorcycles or do the aftermarket also have displays set up for their products?
              Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

Originally posted by GailForce View Post
                for motorcycles?
                Harley advertises quite a bit on the coverage of NHRA drag racing. I think I saw a commercial for Suzuki's new SV650, but I can't remember what channel I was on. BMW used to run some cool commercials a year or two ago.
                Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

Originally posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
                  I have always wanted to attend one of these shows, but most of the locations are at least six hours or more away. I have family in Chicago so I guess I could combine the show with a visit. Is it just motorcycles or do the aftermarket also have displays set up for their products?
                  There were some aftermarket vendors. Mostly, it is manufacturers and the usual group of show vendors selling apparel and trinkets. If I lived six hours away.... I would skip it. It isn't worth the travel time.
                  2017 Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

I used to drive ( 4 and 1/2 hour drive ) up to Chicago for this show. The last time I went it sure seemed like the number aftermarket vendors had really dropped off and the bike manufacture displays were not as large and had fewer bikes. I witnessed this same decline happen at the St. Louis International Motorcycle show until it was no-more.
                    sigpic
                    1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

Comment

St. Louis started having Motorcycle Shows about 3 years ago. I made the first two
                      but couldn't attend this year. They are held mid January. Their website states 6000
                      folks attended this year. Perhaps this is a little closer for some folks to attend.

http://stlmotorcycleshow.com/
                      sigpic
                      Jeff
                      2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Comment

I saw another motorcycle commercial during the Supercross race tonight, the new Z1 Kawasaki. It's a great looking bike, I saw one in person Thursday.
                        Steve

Comment

Aloha!

I've never been. But it must be a pretty big deal because I was listening to a Chicago Jazz station via internet streaming www.WDCB.org , and even THEY mentioned the Chicago Motorcycle Show.

If I'm ever there during the time of the show, I'll have to check it out.

Mahalo!
                          Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing
                          sigpic
                          "He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

Comment

I live 2 hours east of Cleveland and tend to go every other year. It seems like one of the major manufactures is always missing every year. Don't know if it's age or not but I use to spend several hours there but now I'm done after a couple hours.

Comment

Indian and Ducati were missing this year.
                              2017 Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

Working...
                              X