Home

Go Back   MotoCampers Forum > Main Category > General Forum > Trailer-Campers
Open_Road

Old 10-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Gene McCall

Smile Does your State require a tag for your Camper?

Recently, I finally got around to applying for title & tags for my Lil B Bunkhouse. What I found out was a shock! My state does not require registration, title or tags for tent camper trailers. At first I was pleased simply because it would save me over $200 in sales tax. I have a copy of the Tennessee state law that exempts my trailer. My concern now is this, I have been told by friends that, regardless of Tn law, I will be stopped in many other states (especially Indiana) and that I will receive a ticket, notwithstanding the Tn law. I was also told that if I wanted to see my trailer dismantled try to cross into Canada without a tag on the trailer. I feel there are probably more than a few on this board who have pulled their trailers into Canada and perhaps to Alaska. Could you share your experiences?
Gene McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
dannyk

Re: Does your State require a tag for your Camper?

Michigan requires a tag on any trailer regardless of size, its a one time purchase for the trailer, (permanant plate) I think Wisconsin requires a tag on trailers over a certain gvw but I am not positive on that. I pulled my timeout into canada on differn't rides and never had a problem, never checked plates or registration on anything, but that was before, things may have changed now.
dannyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Trekker

NY state happily requires a tax to be paid for the pleasure of allowing the use of a trailer via a full size plate. I doubt you could pull a trailer here without a tag.

'99 ST1100
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
motomac
Site Supporter

Ohio requires a tag on any trailer no matter what the size. They also issue one size tag no matter how big the trailer, so when I had the Unigo it was a full size tag on it. I didn't keep it on there though, as it caught too much wind and got in the way when loading and unloading, so I took a picture and printed it and laminated it to the size of motorcycle plate.
motomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Mellow
Administrator

Texas requires one.. really messes with the aerodynamics of your Uni-go too..

Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
motomac
Site Supporter

Mine actually caught so much wind that it cracked the holes around the mounting bolts and I had washers on the thing to try to prevent that. I know I will probably regret selling the Unigo like you did, Joe, but it is a done deal now.
motomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
Mellow
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac
Mine actually caught so much wind that it cracked the holes around the mounting bolts and I had washers on the thing to try to prevent that. I know I will probably regret selling the Unigo like you did, Joe, but it is a done deal now.
Who'd ya sell it to Mack?

I never had my uni-go crack at all.. but it was also the New Zealand model.

Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
Gene McCall

Smile Re: Does your State require a tag for your Camper?

Thanks all for your response. This tells me that most states require tags on any trailers. It appears southern states would be more likely to not worry about tags on small trailers. In order to avoid problems on the road it appears I will have to come up with some sort of tag. Are there any recent crossings into Canada pulling a trailer out there? BTW I am in the process of mounting the uni-go hitch on my ST1100. A local friend from the CX/GL 500/650 board is machining a mount for the ball. Pictures will be forthcoming when I get it all together. I am using an isolator wiring harness from Bushtec, trailer by Bunkhouse, hitch by Uni-go, truly a group effort!
Gene McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
msscull

Oklahoma does not require license plates for trailer under a specific GVWR or at least they used not require a plate.

If anyone on the forum is from OK, they may be able to help.

A Bad Day Riding Is Still Better Than A Good Day Working!

Last edited by msscull; 12-13-2007 at 10:00 PM.
msscull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #10
Valker

I used to live in OK and pulled a trailer behind my bikes. I was never, not one time, stopped for this. I did not try to cross into Canada though. It would be easy enough to check-just call their tourist bureau. Ask them if they honor USA State laws. If so, no problem. No other state can issue a ticket for failure to have a license plate if your home state doesn't require one. ALL 50 states have reciprocity on laws like that. Helmet laws, seatbelt laws, etc., are not included in these.
Valker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, require, state, tag