Home

Go Back   MotoCampers Forum > Main Category > General Forum > Member Introductions
Open_Road

Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
STrembly

Hey

Hello everyone,
I've been lurking around here for a few weeks. I stumbled across this forum while looking for used campers. I was too wrapped up in reading that I forgot to register. I have never pulled a trailer with a bike, but have been thinking about a camper for a few years. I'm 39 and have been riding motorcycles since I was 4. I have enough knowledge to know that I NEED to listen and learn from veteran riders.

I do have a question and I'm sure it is answered here somewhere, but I can't find it. How do you feel about safety chains on a bike trailer. I'm thinking if a trailer came uncoupled...... Scary to think that I couldn't get away from it due to the safety chains. If there is a discussion about safety chains, please point me to it. Thanks!

Anyways, HEY, and I hope to be able to get to a few camp-outs and meet some of you.

Shane from WV
STrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
OldCityBiker
Site Supporter

Re: Hey

Shane.....Welcome to the forum....In most, if not all states you are required to have safety chains on any trailer. If you keep the chains short enough to where you can turn the bike and trailer 90 degrees with out binding, that's the length you need. Also there is another forum dealing strictly with motorcycle trailer towing. I'm a members there also. Between these 2 forums you'll find answers to any question you may have. Here's the link:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/nav...&gid=441967416

OCB

04 GL 1800, 03 Yamaha Ultra Star, 2014 Mini Mate w/ "Add-A-Room"
Nam Vet 67-68 "Spooky" aka "Puff The Magic Dragon"
OldCityBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
G wizz

Oh Man ... You DON'T want to get us going on safety chains and the fools that don't use them ... ...

For everyones sake USE THE SAFETY CHAINS! ...

G wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
STrembly

Thank you thank you for the link to delphi forums. I have been a member there since September 25, 2007. I have looked, and looked for that site and wasn't able to find it.

I knew the safety chains were the law in most states, but still scares me. I also know that if the trailer did come loose I wouldn't want it hitting an innocent person.

Thanks again,
Shane
STrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
zipp

Shane welcome from across the river. I work in Parkersburg but live in Lowell. Ohio. Maybe we can meet some time. Zipp
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Patrick46
Visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrembly View Post
I knew the safety chains were the law in most states, but still scares me. I also know that if the trailer did come loose I wouldn't want it hitting an innocent person.

Thanks again,
Shane

there ya go...

you've just answered your own question.

....much like what a good psychologist has us do.

Welcome to the asylum!

"Good Times and Good Friends, Make Life Better!"

Last edited by Patrick46; 06-28-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: fine tuning
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
IndyDon

Welcome to the site from Indiana. I know there has been discussion on this site about safety chains but I don't pull a trailer so I don't know just exactly where it is. Like G Wizz says you probably don't want to start the discussion again.
IndyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
KevinL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
there ya go...

you've just answered your own question.

....much like what a good psychologist has us do.

Welcome to the asylum!
Yeah - what Patrick and George said! George put it best: For the sake and safety of everyone around you, PLEASE USE THE CHAINS. I could go on, but I won't...

Welcome to the forum Shane!

Be well !
1995 Voyager XII, 2010 Aspen Classic
KevinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Ironheadziggy76
#%@*, it's raining again!

Welcome from Western Kentucky.

Look at it like I do, I've never seen a faulty trailer ball, latches don't seem to fail much when latched and locked properly. Those safety chains are on there to protect others in case you or I make a mistake hooking up the trailer. If you have a quality hitch and trailer coupler you shouldn't have to worry about getting away from a loose trailer. Luckily after all the years of pulling trailers and boats, I have never had one come unhooked. I always latch the coupler and lock it, check it, check it again, then hook up the chains, then the lights. I have been guilty of forgetting to unplug the trailer lights on a couple of occasions in the dark when unhooking.

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster
Ironheadziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
DILLIGAF61
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrembly View Post
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking around here for a few weeks. I stumbled across this forum while looking for used campers. I was too wrapped up in reading that I forgot to register. I have never pulled a trailer with a bike, but have been thinking about a camper for a few years. I'm 39 and have been riding motorcycles since I was 4. I have enough knowledge to know that I NEED to listen and learn from veteran riders.

I do have a question and I'm sure it is answered here somewhere, but I can't find it. How do you feel about safety chains on a bike trailer. I'm thinking if a trailer came uncoupled...... Scary to think that I couldn't get away from it due to the safety chains. If there is a discussion about safety chains, please point me to it. Thanks!

Anyways, HEY, and I hope to be able to get to a few camp-outs and meet some of you.

Shane from WV
the discussion about safety chains can get just a wee bit heated at times however the overwhelming consensus is use chains plus its the law

here an older thread http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...trailer+chains

2004 FLHTC 1982 FLHP 1974 CB360 1996 Kwik-Kamp
Life Member ABATE
Helmet Free since 1979
DILLIGAF61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hey