Home

Go Back   MotoCampers Forum > Main Category > Articles > Product Reviews > Food/Cooking Reviews

Old 05-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #1zz
Blues Traveler

5 lb. (1.2 gallon) propane tank

With the Gold Wing and bigger trailer space is now longer such a big issue. That being said I purchased a new two burner 40,000 BTU two burner stove. Not wanting to carry all the 1 lb. bottles I started searching for a small propane tank. My search ended with one of these.

This is a 5 lb. (1.2 gallon) propane tank made by Manchester. Cost was $43.00. 8" in dia. and 12.5" tall. First thing was to have it filled up. This new tank actually took 1.5 gallons the 1st time, cost $5.13 to fill.

During my search I found a thread talking about exactly what I was looking for. How many 1 lb. bottles are in a 5 lb. 1.5 gallon tank and found this:

128 oz in a gallon
192 oz in 1.5 gallons
192 oz % 16 oz (1 pound) = 12 1 pound bottles

This was corrected by someone else who stated this:

You are using liquid ounces in place of weight. The two are not even close to being equivalent. Depending on what source you ask, propane weighs from 4.22 to 4.27 pounds per gallon, so using 4.25 makes calculations easy. A gallon of propane (128 liquid ounces) weighs 68 oz. If you want to talk in terms of volume, 1.5 gallons of propane will equal six disposable cylinders, with a very small amount left over.

4 day camping trip in a couple of weeks ( BMW 49'er rally in Mariposa, CA.) and this will be its first big test.

6 bottles or 12, 12 would be GREAT! but either one sounds just fine. Plan is to make a mount for it on top of the drawbar just in front of the trailer. No more throw away bottles and hopefully enough propane to last a week on the road.

Will check back in with results after i've used it a few times.
Webshots, rest in peace
Blues Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #2zz
SidecarMike
Sidecars Rule! ☺

Re: 5 lb. (1.2 gallon) propane tank

Never figured out how many bottles, but I can say that even when we camped as a family, using lantern and two burner stove, I never had to refill my 5 pounder till the end of the season. In winter I attach it and the hose to my propane torch in the shop. It would last me all year.
Unfortunately, both of my tanks have the old style valves and a replacement valve is as much as a new tank.
Yesterday we bought a Charbroil Patio Caddie from a guy who sold his cabin and it came with a 10 pounder. Same diameter as the normal 20, but only half as tall. It may be too big for the camper, though.
SidecarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #3zz
ImRubicon

I laos have thougt about the little tanks but Im still getting by with the Coleman 533 dual fuel one burner as I normally get food close by. I also thought about if it goes empty can you just pick one small bottle to get you by until you have the 5 LB refilled ?

Mike
You should dump the old tank and get new ones as they need tested every ten years or so and its almost cheaper to start fresh. Just syaing and is it really worth the hassle and slightly increased (or so they say) risk ?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #4zz
SidecarMike
Sidecars Rule! ☺

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRubicon View Post
I laos have thougt about the little tanks but Im still getting by with the Coleman 533 dual fuel one burner as I normally get food close by. I also thought about if it goes empty can you just pick one small bottle to get you by until you have the 5 LB refilled ?

Mike
You should dump the old tank and get new ones as they need tested every ten years or so and its almost cheaper to start fresh. Just syaing and is it really worth the hassle and slightly increased (or so they say) risk ?
I agree, but I bought the things right before they changed to the OPD valves. one is still about 1/2 full and the other is now empty. When this one is empty I will toss them. I'm not sure if I will carry the ten pounder. I'd have to go at least 30 or 40 days to empty it in a season, and I don't use it that much or that often. It may stay in the garage for my propane torch. In fact, I've been wanting to pick up a turkey fryer for melting lead. It might be a good size for that.
The trouble with buying new ones is that the only place I find them is Fleet/Farm and they want $68!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #5zz
ImRubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarMike View Post
I agree, but I bought the things right before they changed to the OPD valves. one is still about 1/2 full and the other is now empty. When this one is empty I will toss them. I'm not sure if I will carry the ten pounder. I'd have to go at least 30 or 40 days to empty it in a season, and I don't use it that much or that often. It may stay in the garage for my propane torch. In fact, I've been wanting to pick up a turkey fryer for melting lead. It might be a good size for that.
The trouble with buying new ones is that the only place I find them is Fleet/Farm and they want $68!
If they were the normal size you could just trade them at the store .
I dont5 cook enough with my one burner to use up the one can of coleman fuel in over two years . I started to use a capful to start the wood fire in the back yard fire pit . Old Boyscout trick pour gas on the dry wood and its easier to start.

Not sure a 5 lb propane wouldnt be overkill for me as coffee or boiling water is about it for fast food at campsite . I normally hit someplace close or on the way and get snacks for camp
Old 05-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #6zz
Clamper
Site Supporter

I had two 40 lb tanks, and had new valves put on when the change to OPD's started. Check around and see before you get rid of your tank. They will tell you if it's worth changing over, or if the tank has gone bad.
IBA, NRA, Elks, Free Gazer, and a couple others
Clamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #7zz
Blues Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarMike View Post
Never figured out how many bottles, but I can say that even when we camped as a family, using lantern and two burner stove, I never had to refill my 5 pounder till the end of the season. In winter I attach it and the hose to my propane torch in the shop. It would last me all year.
Thanks Mike, Still not knowing how many bottles are in a 5 lb. tank its nice to know you got quit a bit out of yours. Im just hoping it will last up to a couple weeks of cooking 2 meals a day with out the worries of running out of gas.
Webshots, rest in peace
Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #8zz
Blues Traveler

[QUOTE=. I also thought about if it goes empty can you just pick one small bottle to get you by until you have the 5 LB refilled ?[/QUOTE]

The stove I bought came with a 4 ft. hose for a bigger bottle one end is an adapter and hooks up to the stove. If I should run out with the 5 lb. bottle I have the option to switch back to a 16 oz. bottle.
Webshots, rest in peace
Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #9zz
SidecarMike
Sidecars Rule! ☺

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Traveler View Post
Thanks Mike, Still not knowing how many bottles are in a 5 lb. tank its nice to know you got quit a bit out of yours. Im just hoping it will last up to a couple weeks of cooking 2 meals a day with out the worries of running out of gas.
Remember that when you fill it, you are only paying for what you need. We have been known to "top it up" at the local farm store if we thought we might run out.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #10zz
lytle1gw

Northern Tools has a neat looking 4.25 lb tank for 69.99, couple of those would last a long time. Kinda expensive but would only be a one time buy.

2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
lytle1gw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gallon, propane, tank