Home

Go Back   MotoCampers Forum > Main Category > General Forum
Open_Road

Old 03-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
tankereng
All miles are good miles

Construction MSR Pocket Rocket?

Anyone have/use the MSR Pocket Rocket?

Will the MSR fuel cannisters fit inside the GSI Pinnacle Soloist Pot for storage?

Saw the Pocket Rocket at Academy this afternoon and I like the compactness... can it use other fuel canisters as well?
tankereng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Mr. Guy

Re: MSR Pocket Rocket?

My son, Jeff, has a pocket rocket and really likes it. We've always used the canisters from Coleman that you can get at Wal-Mart. Not sure if they will fit in the GSI pots, but they fit in my Snow Peak pots. They are a 250 gram canister and I think the Colemans are the same size as the MSR.

Guy

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.
Mr. Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
tankereng
All miles are good miles

Thanks for the info....just watched a few video reviews on youtube...seems like a good product....high ratings and easy to use...
Old 03-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
Mellow
Administrator

That's probably my next stove after I go through my campingaz stove. Being able to get canisters at walmart is a big plus.

Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
coopdway

I just bought a Snow Peak Giga stove to take along when boiling is the extent of my cooking. I've almost worn out two Coleman one burner's and am looking forward to the small size of the canister system, something very new to me.

I went with the Snow Peak Starter Kit, piezo stove, lid, 700 pot and spork. I thought the ability to lock two cannisters inside/above the system in one unit was pretty cool.

Really looking forward to giving the new system a try this year.
coopdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
DBrent
Site Supporter

I have a Pocket Rocket and it performs very well. I also have a GSI Dualist cook set. A fuel canister will fit inside the Dualist (with one set of bowls/cup removed), but the canister is too tall for the lid to fit properly. However, I can put my kitchen sink in the top of the GSI and the lid will fit. Go figure.

We just had a discussion of fuel canister interchangeability with this type of stove--specifically the MSR. http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2710. You can use the MSR, Coleman or other canisters with the MSR Pocket Rocket if it has the same fitting. The Coleman canisters are more readily available at Walmart.

Brent
DBrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
tankereng
All miles are good miles

Buying a Pocket Rocket this afternoon...
Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Mellow
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrent View Post
I have a Pocket Rocket and it performs very well. I also have a GSI Dualist cook set. A fuel canister will fit inside the Dualist (with one set of bowls/cup removed), but the canister is too tall for the lid to fit properly. However, I can put my kitchen sink in the top of the GSI and the lid will fit. Go figure.

We just had a discussion of fuel canister interchangeability with this type of stove--specifically the MSR. http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2710. You can use the MSR, Coleman or other canisters with the MSR Pocket Rocket if it has the same fitting. The Coleman canisters are more readily available at Walmart.

Brent
Brent, I'm assuming it won't fit those tall green coleman canisters at walmart? ... or will it? I have a few of those sitting around.

Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Papa Ritch

I have Primus ETE- only one season on it, so far so good. It all fit inside the pot,with the small or medium fuel canister, most of the smaller fuel canister will work with it. Also it a self starter, I till carry matches. Ritch http://www.primuscamping.com/product.php?id=68
Papa Ritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
DBrent
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
Brent, I'm assuming it won't fit those tall green coleman canisters at walmart? ... or will it? I have a few of those sitting around.
Mellow, I think you are talking about the larger Coleman canisters with the same fitting. I've seen those and the smaller ones at Wally World. My tests have used the smaller one pictured above with the Pocket Rocket attached. Here's how the smaller canister fits with the GSI cooking gear.

I have a GSI Dualist, which has a 1.8L pot and an MSR Pocket Rocket which I recently learned uses other canisters:

If I take one of those bowl sets out, a fuel canister will fit in the pot, but the lid will not fit on--the canister is too tall. The kitchen sink will fit, though. I am amazed how all that stuff stacks into that pot, which also comes with a stuff sack.

If I remove the sip lids from the bowls, the canister will fit inside the bowl, and you can place the other bowl upside down over the other one, and it all fits. The only items you're not taking along are the two sip lids.

It looks like a canister might fit into the GSI Soloist, because the Soloist does not have a sip lid with the bowl/cup. The Soloist pot is 1.1L. It's smaller than the Dualist. Would the dimensions accommodate a canister? I don't honestly know, but it looks like it might.

Hope this helps everyone considering this combination of gear.

Brent

Last edited by DBrent; 03-14-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: added camp stove photo
DBrent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
msr, pocket, rocket