Home

Go Back   MotoCampers Forum > Main Category > Articles > Product Reviews > Tent Reviews
Open_Road

Old 01-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
the Ferret

Eureka Apex 2 XT vs Cabelas XPG Ultralight

My brother and I just ordered and recieved these 2 tents for motorcycle camping and I thought I might give you a side by side comparison if you are interested in buying a 2 man tent. I bought the Eureka per recommendations on another site.

First of all the Cabelas tent costs more. $139.00 plus shipping so lets say $150 vs the Eureka which lists for $125 but I found on sale for $94 plus a $10 rebate and free shipping..so lets say $84 delivered to my door.

The Eureka set up quickly with short sleeves on 1 end and ring and pin on the other end. It has fiberglass poles (2) that are shock corded and 1 end has a plastic cap which slides into the small sleeves. To hold the tent against the poles, there are 3 clips on each side that doesn't have the sleeve and the two sides with the sleeves have 2 clips. There is a loop and barrel that holds up the center of the tent. First time set up, even with looking at directions took all of 4 or 5 minutes. I'm sure it could be done in half that time next time. It has a bathtub type floor and mesh on 3 sides and the roof. 2 of the sides are doors with 2 zippers each. One that runs across the bottom of the door and one that goes up the side of the door and over the top.There are 2 mesh pockets inside for storage. There is a fly that covers about 80% of the tent with vestibules on each door side that attaches with snap buckles. There is one vent on the "open" side not covered by the fly. Weight is listed at 5 pounds and 14 ozs but it feels heavier than that. It comes with a bag for the tent, 1 for the poles and one for the stakes. The stakes are aluminum and L shaped (except for 2 plastic ones which I assume are for staking out the vestibules). Bagged up it measures 20" long. Diameter I would guess at 6" ?

http://www.eurekatent.com/p-57-apex-2xt.aspx

The Cabelas tent has aluminum poles, again 2, that are shock corded. They have pins on the end that go through eyes sewn in the corners of the tent. There are no sleeves, only clips for attaching the tent to the poles. Set up was again rediculously easy on this tent. There is only one door and that door has a two zippers that will unzip/zip the door open in one motion from either direction. There are 2 storage pockets in this tent plus a loft which also attaches with clips which is real nice. The fly covers 100% of the tent and attaches with clips on 2 sides and by putting the eyes on the end of the tent poles on the other end. The fly has 2 vents near the top. It also has a bathtub floor and is mostly mesh on 3 of the sides. Weight is listed at "under 5 pounds" on the box but 5# 6 oz on the website but it feels much lighter than the Eureka.Bagged up it measures 20" long.Diameter I would guess at 6" ?

The material on the Cabelas is much nicer both in the tent and in the bathtub material, the clips are of higher quality, the barrel and loops are of higher quality. The reinforcement patches for the clips are of a much nicer quality too. The tent bag is much nicer and has compression straps that form a handle for carrying. The stakes are also aluminum but much nicer shaped. There were no plastic stakes in the bag, and the tie out lines are reflective at night. The Cabelas tent came with seam sealer, and extra pieces of tent material for repairs if necessary.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

In comparison for the $14 difference in list price, there really is no comparison. The Cabelas tent is much, much nicer is every aspect. Really quality stuff compared to the Eureka.

I guess you could make a case for the Eureka if you found it on sale as I did. For the $56 difference ($66 with shippping) I can get a self inflating pad to sleep on (which I need), or a sleeping bag.Don't get me wrong, both are nice tents...one is just much nicer. As usual, you get what you pay for.
the Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Ironheadziggy76
#%@*, it's raining again!

Re: Eureka Apex 2 XT vs Cabelas XPG Ultralight

Great review, and welcome to the site. Check out the reviews on the sleeping bags and pads, lots of good info there.

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster
Ironheadziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
G wizz

I have (but don't use) the Apex tent. Here's the reason why I don't use it ... I have found that the rain fly is designed in such a way that it doesn't extend far enough out over the door, so that if you need to exit or enter the tent while it's raining, the water coming off the fly runs directly onto the tent floor through the tent door way, making an otherwise good tent quite wet inside. How soggy things get, depends of course, on how fast you can get in or out, while getting a trickle of water down the back of your neck..
If your plans for camping don't include rain, it's a nice tent otherwise.

G wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
bigTom

Hey Ferret, Welcome!

Grab a cup of coffee when you come by the fire, you will like it here just fine! Good to see you!
bigTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
the Ferret

Thanks Ironhead and Big Tom.

GWizz...I hope to not try it out in the rain (ever), but the 2XT tents have a big vestibule covering each door so the rain shouldn't get in there as far as I can tell. Like I said I hope to never test it in those conditions. If it's going to rain very hard, I'm heading for the nearest Comfort Inn or Motel 6. If it's only a light drizzel I would probably stay in the tent but not in a frog strangler.

Starting research now on a sleeping pad and pillow.
the Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
Mellow
Administrator

I've had my Eureka 2XTA in many rains... One in Texas was very heavy and the ground got saturated fast.. It was sitting in about 3 inches of standing water... and it was still raining heavy...

That lasted about 5 hrs before I got up and out of the tent.. Only had a few drops of water in 2 corners which was pretty impressive in my opinion... I felt like I was on a waterbed.

I never took the tent down, we rode out of that area to the nearby house, this was a local BBQ event, and hung out for a few more hours 'til it stopped raining.. Never more than those few drops.

Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
MyOwnRocket

I paid $ 110 (after rebate) for my Apex 2XTA four years ago. I've been in many rains from Vermont to Alabama and never got wet, damp sure, but never wet. I also like the two vetibules for gear storage and the aluminum poles that come with the XTA (they will stand up to some substantial stress without breaking).

My Own Rocket
05 FJR1300
MyOwnRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
VFR

Timely review. I just got the new Cabelas catalog & was eyeing the XPG 3 man for camping when I plan to stay more than a couple of days. I have looked at many 3man tents & some are barely larger than my Half Dome. I look at the footprint size, weight, packed length & roof height. Price seems to creep in there too..... I was looking for one with a larger vestibule to get all my gear inside it but a 3 man would satisfy that requirement as I camp solo.

Larry
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
jnsgardner

The Eureka El Capitan has caught my eye because of it's full coverage rain fly, it's availability in 3 and 4 man sizes, and it's ventilation option of partially rolling up the fly in warm weather.
It's only available in Canada and Europe, so try Googling (?)

John
jnsgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
V-Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsgardner View Post
The Eureka El Capitan has caught my eye because of it's full coverage rain fly, it's availability in 3 and 4 man sizes, and it's ventilation option of partially rolling up the fly in warm weather.
It's only available in Canada and Europe, so try Googling (?)

John
I just picked up a Eureka El Capitan 3 person last Friday. I was stuck at home all weekend so Saturday and Sunday night I slept in the tent. The level of my pool went up about an inch and a half between Saturday eve and Sunday afternoon so we hada decent amount of rain.

My tent stayed perfectly dry even though I had both doors open with only the screen door closed on them, the two vents on the roof open as well as the vents at the base of the vestibule open. I'm 6'2 inch 245 lbs and by myself in the tent it felt huge. It is the first time I had a vestibule tent and it's great being able to get in and out of the tent without worrying about getting water inside.

..Tom
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex, cabelas, eureka, ultralight, xpg