Home

Go Back   MotoCampers Forum > Main Category > Articles > Product Reviews > Trailer Reviews

Old 03-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #1zz
Bipeflier
Fairly Awsome Guy

Thumbs up Aspen Classic Camper

After having MC tent camping for more years than I care to remember, and getting on the long side of 50 years old, we decided to investigate a trailer camper to pull behind the Wing.

http://bohica.homeip.net:591/~mark/Campers.html This is a great link that shows a lot of the available campers.

We had just a couple of requirements. We wanted a queen bed, lots of storage, fiberglass body. The bed size narrowed the search very quickly so we started looking at actual units at rallies and dealers.

I won't go into the reasons we removed some campers from our list, just suffice it to say we came down to the Aspen and Bunkhouse. We looked over the Bunkhouse at the Niehaus open house in Illinois, and the Aspen at the Davis Family Rally in Iowa. We bought the Aspen at Davis.

Both are quality units, very similar, and competitively priced.

Being in product engineering all my life makes me look at some things that escape others. My wife is always upset that I always look UNDER and IN things and never look AT them. The decision for the Aspen Classic was swayed by the complete perimeter frame, 4 stabilizer jacks (one on each corner), all light wires in a loom on the outside of the body, Dexter Torflex (r) axles, and finally, the support bows on the INSIDE of the tent.

Why are these important to me? The frame and stabilizer jacks are the spine or support for the whole camper. Whether towing or camping, this thing is rock solid.

With the wires external I have no worries about a hole in the body to leak or cargo shifting and shorting wires.

I design trailers for on and off road applications and Dexter Torflex(r) axles are simply the best!

The support bows inside make setting up a breeze and a real plus if you have to set up in the rain. You stay dryer. It also minimizes the chances of pinching and cutting the tent when packed.

One person can handle set up, but 2 makes is a little easier. Complete set up from unhitching to ready to sleep takes less than 5 minutes! Setting up just the trailer can be done in less than 2 minutes. Storage is cavernous! It accessible from outside while the tent is packed and inside when set up. You can pack a lot of stuff in this thing. You do need to watch the weight as it can hold so much you can get over 500# quickly.

Ventilation is handled by a window at the head of the bed, a full-screened door in the other end, and both sides are fully screened. If you can't get a breeze through this thing, there ain't one!

We were skeptical about the foam mattress and took along an air mattress on the first few nights. Didn't need the air mattress. The standard mattress was very comfortable for us older adults and we have no plans to change.

The 6' X 6' dressing area is more than adequate for the 2 of us. We even bought a "camp kitchen" table from Bass Pro to set in there to give us "off the floor" storage. A nice little feature is the ability to access the cooler on the tongue while inside the tent. Very easy to get a cold one while lounging. This access can also be used to bring an electrical cord inside if desired.

Packing up takes a little longer than set up but is still very acceptable. Once everything is stored in the trailer or on the bike, it takes approximately 8 minutes to be ready to roll. We took about 15 minutes to get ready with the previous tent!

We have towed in good weather, rain, and wind over 45 MPH gusts! We were hit broadside by a gust on an overpass in Kansas that nearly drug the footpeg, but the trailer never moved! I was impressed.

All necessary and most "desired" options are available at the time of purchase or later.

Bottom line is this trailer has exceeded all of our wants and expectations. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a tent camper! A++++ http://www.trailmasterinc.com/aspcla...spclassic.html
'50 Verbal GPS & Tour Guide
Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #2zz
Mr. Guy

Re: Aspen Classic Camper

Hi Bipeflier,

Welcome and nice first post. I might get a camper if I had something to pull it with. But then I be tempted to bring to much and I don't know how they'd handle off road.

Guy

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.
Mr. Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #3zz
Tx White Knight

Nice write up Bipeflier, good logic as those are some items most folks never talk about

Oh and BTW
Welcome

Steve
'06' BMW K1200 GT
'02' BMW F650GS Dakar
Tx White Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #4zz
ImRubicon
Site Supporter

Thanks now I wnat one LOL
I too am looking between the bunkhouse and the aspen
ImRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #5zz
TFee3

Bipeflier, I'm new to the forum and really appreciate your input. I've wanted a small camper for some time, and you've really helped! We have a Miata and Ford Focus for cars and a C90T Boulevard for a bike. We could use it with any of the three. Thanks for a great post!

Tom
TFee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #6zz
bvail
Bob Vail

One of the things I like about the Aspen is the frame inside the tent because of ability to hang stuff up using the frame. Clamp lights/fan wet towels, you all get the picture.

Since the changing area floor is part of the tent material and not a hard surface, on must put a tarp under the floor and a piece of carpet on top of the floor inside the tent is a nice touch. These are easy to stow. I put the carpet into the folded tent to protect the material from the aluminum stand that drops down from the sleeping area, so the piece of carpet serves dual purpose.

If one waits until after the camping season, Trailmaster offers deep discounts on all their trailers and throws in a bunch of 'free' stuff during their promotions, which are around Dec-Jan.

For those who like more information on motorcycle trailers of all types, go here: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/messages

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail
Trailer Info: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/?
bvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #7zz
IR Harry

Over time, I have had four tent trailers that I have pulled with Goldwings, first with the 1500 then an 1800, and now a 1800 trike. First one was a KwikKamp, and that was my initial shot at tent trailer bike camping. They were a real decent unit. Next was a Bunkhouse, which is similar to the KwikKamp, but still in production. Again, a really good unit. Then along came an Aspen, as described above. Little more storage room underneath, bed was a little larger, but on a par with the other two as far as function. Minor differences, but similar.

The latest one is a Rollahome - one of the last built in Idaho before they moved to the Midwest. This one has a KING bed in it, and you get into the bed from the side, not over the end. And it has a solid fiberglass top, not canvas tarp, that turns into an off-the-ground floor when it is opened up. Keeps the feet and floor from getting wet in one of our rare rains...

Has about the same cargo area as the Aspen, accessible about the same way, but being solid does not flap in the breeze going down the road. And watertight. Its about fifty pounds heavier than the Aspen, but set-up is about equal time because you do not have to put on the cover when leaving.

I towed it with the two wheel 1800, and it was about the same feel as the Aspen or the Bunkhouse. I also tow it with the CR-V in the hills for hunting. Added a propane tank and cooler on the tongue, so have to put the heavy stuff in the back of the trailer - the generator, port a pottie, etc.

The down side is they are a little more expensive, but to me they are worth it.

http://www.rollahome.com/
IR Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #8zz
Tx White Knight

Thanks for the write up IR Harry, that is a good comparison.

Steve
'06' BMW K1200 GT
'02' BMW F650GS Dakar
Tx White Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #9zz
bvail
Bob Vail

Roll-a-Home sure gets around. I purchased mine from the original owners in Montana. A couple of years later the company moved to Utah. Now it's located in Wisconsin with new ownership.

The concept from day one remains basically the same. Mine was the twin sized (small bed) model. It had small cargo doors towards the rear (about 10" high X 24" wide) that would sometimes come open when underway, so I would never put cargo near the doors that I would mind losing, such as a camcorder, etc. I lost a pillow and other sundry items, such as one half of a pair of sneakers. A big downside of the earlier models was that you couldn't access the entire cargo bay unless you flipped open the top and then the tent would deploy and everything would have to be stuffed back under the top.

Since the top rails on the lid became the frame that the floor would sit on, it was important to place something like a rug on the ground to protect the rails from rocks, etc., just like the trailers with fabric floor tents. No big deal, since I beat my stuff up a bit.

As far as handling and towing, it was ok, just ok. I had to be very careful about load distribution, which was a pain, since the cargo bay was not easily accessed. I think that an extended tongue would have solved the problem. IIRC the tongue back then was one piece and not easily modified. I towed the trailer with a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe/Hitchdoc hitch and later with a Yamaha FJR1300/Classic Industries Australia hitch. The FJR was very sensitive about load placement and the trailer had a tendency to wiggle with both bikes, even though the RSTD was solid as a rock.

I did have a flood in the change area once. I was in Hot Springs AR and early in the AM a storm of biblical proportions came through for a couple of hours. I had to bail about two inches of water out, but that was the only time the trailer go wet inside.

It appears that there have been some changes to the R-a-H since the original was developed by Dave and Carrie, the biggest one would be the ability to access the cargo bay from outside the trailer. It seems that the body is still integrated with the suspension and tongue. I think that an important difference between this trailer and the Aspen Classic/Sentry trailers is that the Aspen has a full frame all the way around, giving it a much stiffer construction.

I didn't really like the jacks on mine, but I also have some issues with the ones on my Aspen Classic.

I can't fairly compare the present offerings of the two companies, since my Roll-a-Home was an early iteration. I can say that I much prefer my present Aspen Classic (2006 model) over my RaH purchased circa 2002.

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail
Trailer Info: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/?
bvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #10zz
G wizz

Smile Re: Aspen Classic Camper

I for one, can vouch for the Aspen tent trailers. We have the Sentry model, and have dragged it through enough states that I've lost count. I put it to the test last year when we pulled it to Alaska and back from Michigan.
Other than having to replace the tires when we got back, it came though with flying colors.
G wizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aspen, camper, classic