Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally! Harbor Freight Tag Along Trailer!

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Re: Finally! Harbor Freight Tag Along Trailer!

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    Nice touches. If you find the trailer a bit bouncy (especially with only sixty pounds of cargo) you might consider the PSI in the tires. Most folks run around 25 PSI with these trailers. Enjoy your new trailer.
    I agree on the air pressure being lower. I found between 15 to 20 lbs works best for me.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    07 Kawasaki 900 Custom LT
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter
    11 Honda PCX 125cc Scooter (hers)

(Threadstarter)

I just came back from a 175 mile roundtrip to PA with a load that turns out to be about 75 lbs. After reaching my destination, I unloaded the cargo (it was a delivery) and towed back with a nearly empty trailer.

The trailer towed great! Really didn't even know it was back there. As a matter of fact, I kept looking into my mirrors to make sure because from the seat, there was no telling it was back there! I did not extend the tongue length beyond what the trailer came with and I had 20 psi in the tires. No bounce and the trailer followed the bike everywhere, no wagging. I'm am real pleased and highly recommend this trailer as a great starter! Plus, it holds quite a bit of cargo!

Nice work...great looking 'set' with the Wing!!

Dude, you really did your homework on this build! I can't think of a single thing you missed to make the perfect Tag-A-Long trailer setup. Kudos, this should be stickied so others can benefit from your excellent write-up and experience.

Your build looks good. The only thing I did different was to go to an ironworker and have him build a new 24" longer tongue with a cooler rack. For $100 he built it painted it and changed out the ball hitch hardware. I was planning on doing a lot of camping with it and a cooler is almost a necessity.

Nice report on your addition. As I skimmed over the various comments I didn't notice anything said about the "tire rating". If my memory severs me correctly there have been issues with the quality of the tires that come with the HF Trailers. Or, to put it another way...the rating on the supplied tires do not meet the standards for high speed travel. As a suggestion besure and check this out closely before you really load up the trailer and head out for a big adventure.
    "Four Wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul"............Ride Safe 09 F800GS
    www.justcallmewhosoever.blogspot.com

I have grazed across various forums and most of the tire issues have been from folks that have never had a trailer with the small tires. They are convinced that anything less than a 15" tire will cause the planet to start spinning backwards from the high RPM of these itty-bitty tires.

There are lots and lots of posts with first-hand experience, including me, that have towed the HF trailers with 8" through 12" tires at high speeds that haven't had problems.

Go tow!
    2014 Roll-A-Home
    Harbor Freight Tag-Along
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS (His)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited (Hers)

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I put on over 10,000 mi on the HF tires, with speeds up over 90 mph at times and never had an issue with those tires. (which were a minimum of 3 yrs old, as that was how long I had the kit sitting around in my garage before I decided to build it)

If you decide to extend your tongue you can do it yourself for about 1/4 of the price of that which Pete Darby shelled out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rest area on the Batten Kill River, SR 313, NY.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	16087
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

(Threadstarter)

I do intend to extend the tongue in the future, but I was just going to buy a replacement tongue that is 24" longer than the current one. I have a steel shop near here that supplies them.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

My only issue I had with the HF trailer tires was the stated air pressure on the side of the tire is way too high for the weight of the trailer and it's contents. In 3,000 miles, I wore the centers out of the tires. I put new on and lowered the air pressure to 20 lbs and they are now fine.