Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally! Harbor Freight Tag Along Trailer!

(Threadstarter)

Re: Finally! Harbor Freight Tag Along Trailer!

I hooked up to the trailer for the first time and had an issue getting it to fit over the ball and then even harder getting it off. With the advice found here, I learned that it was common on the HF trailers for the assembly to not fit the tongue correctly because the tongue is not wide enough. This leads to over-tightening of the bolts and squeezing the assembly.

Sure enough, I loosened the assembly, added a washer inside between the assembly and the tongue on each bolt and it fit perfectly! I also ran into an issue with the safety chains popping out when I hit bumps. Fixed that by drilling two more holes in the front of the hitch plate and adding locking D-rings.

(Threadstarter)

Other little odds and ends; A pic of the garden hose/chaffing gear for the spring bolts. In the back of the spring, it was hitting the frame when I hit bumps so I added some radiator hose in between to cut that down. Lastly, the wiring all received looms for chaffing protection.

(Threadstarter)

1st load is my old Vetter faring with lowers, windshield and Cycle Sound radio pod to another friend who through his purchase of the equipment, helped me to afford to buy this trailer!! On Saturday, April 11, I am heading up his way with my Wife for a nice day trip and first real long tow of the trailer!! It is only a 60 lb load. But I think it will be a nice start for towing!

Nice build and great pictures and commentary. I like the looks of the Kit. Let us know how it tows? Others have made the tongues longer for stability and they added a cooler also. Safe travels to you enjoy the ride.

I had one of the HF Tagalongs that I pulled several thousand trouble free miles before I got rear ended while pulling it. I added a light bar I made from a piece of aluminum plate and added LED lights. I also added a cooler rack I made from a fold up camp grill I got from Walmart. I removed the fold up legs and turned it upside down and mounted it to the tongueClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0102 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	15992

Good job on the building info. I think the Tagalong is the best bang for the buck.

Anyone looking at building a Harbor Freight Tag-Along trailer will certainly find your narrative and pictures very helpful!
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Yep great pix to show what u did! Great for non builders like myself and great extra info! Thanx!

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Another wise Tag Along owner. Congrats.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    07 Kawasaki 900 Custom LT
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter
    11 Honda PCX 125cc Scooter (hers)

Wow what a great build tread
    ST1300, tent, coffee... check lets hit the road

Nice touches. If you find the trailer a bit bouncy (especially with only sixty pounds of cargo) you might consider the PSI in the tires. Most folks run around 25 PSI with these trailers. Enjoy your new trailer.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing