Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally! Harbor Freight Tag Along Trailer!

Finally! Harbor Freight Tag Along Trailer!

Found the 25% off HF coupon that was good for 2015! (Save $95 off the current discount price) That makes the trailer $284 plus tax. Picked up the trailer and put it together! It is a real nice inexpensive investment that sure does hold a lot of cargo! I have pics of the build coming soon!

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: Finally! Harbor Freight Tag Along Trailer!

Great buy! Congrats!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

(Threadstarter)

First things first.....go pick up the trailer. No pick up truck here, so take it out of the crate and shove it into my Hyundai Elantra!

(Threadstarter)

Next up was to clear some space in the garage to lay out the parts and start assembly.

(Threadstarter)

You know that advice everyone gives about repacking the wheel bearings before ever putting the wheels on the trailer.....absolutely good advice! That trailer grease was really sad!

(Threadstarter)

I did remove the helper spring and I am glad I did. There was no paint between the springs. Attached the axle. Added garden hose to the bolt to prevent excess noise.

(Threadstarter)

Fenders attached and started working on the wiring. It came pre-wired with a flat 4 trailer plug already setup. The only thing that needed to be wired was the tail lights after installation. I added bullet connectors (which are crimped and soldered) in the event I want to change the light fixtures in the future. I was surprised that there was not just a single ground wire going to the body. The white ground wire was already run to every light including the side marker lights! I also added a trailer jack.

Great deal, congrats! you will gets lots of enjoyment out of it. I wish I had known about those trailers when I bought our first trailer.

Senior
    2009 Victory Vision
    Aspen classic
    Over night Camping welcome

(Threadstarter)

After I added the cargo box, I wanted to add a third brake light and reflective tape. I had a minor issue adding the brake light since the 4 wire setup has each tail light serving as both brake and turn signal. I ended up added a converter that allowed me to add an LED third brake light setup. I also installed water proof vinyl insulation around the edge for water protection.

On the advice of a good friend, I moved the license plate off the left brake light and attached it up in the center of the cargo box. By doing this, the plate was no longer lighted at night, so I added LED license plate bolt lights.

(Threadstarter)

I cannot neglect the bike end of this build! I had purchased a hitch last year that is specific for the GL1100 Standard. The hitch would not fit on a 1100 Interstate or 1100 Aspencade because those bikes already had framework for their luggage. Their are Markland hitches that work for them. I installed the hitch and then re-installed my aftermarket Hondaline bags and it fits like a champ!