Thread: Portable grill

Portable grill

Saw this on Gizmag this morning, figured maybe someone might find it interesting.

Still have to have charcoal with you, but if you are a grilling 'purist' and don't wanna use gas while on the go, this might be pretty cool for motocamping.

Re: Portable grill

I'm a gadget freak, so my opinion is biased, but I think that's pretty cool.

That's kinda interesting. thanks for posting
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Seems like an interesting idea, but I'm happy with my Weber Go-Anywhere grill.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

I like it but they aren't selling it any yet. I use this for most of our cooking. I also have a Jetboil but that goes for solo trips and Mountain House meals.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2000003733_500.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	15913

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

While it may be 'interesting', I think it is too large to pack on a bike and wonder just how durable it would be seeing it is made out of material.

I used to pack/use a Grilliput, but the cooking surface was just big enough to grill a decent sized meal for one, it was finicky to assemble and the SS cross pieces started to bend after a fair bit of use. Along with the veggie steamer required to hold the briquettes, it was starting to get a little bit on the bulky side.

I then bought a folding portable grill off of G wizz, very similar to this one

It folds fairly flat and has a good sized grill top, so you can cook a decent sized meal for two on it. It packs away in it's own bag and easily fits in a trunk, or most panniers.
    I also pack a fold flat charcoal chimney in with it to start the briquettes on fire quickly and easily.

Name:	Tote Bags  -  1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	15914 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tote Bags.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	15915 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010725.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	15916 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portable folding grill.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	15917 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020103.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	528.7 KB 
ID:	15918
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    While it may be 'interesting', I think it is too large to pack on a bike and wonder just how durable it would be seeing it is made out of material.

I used to pack/use a Grilliput, but the cooking surface was just big enough to grill a decent sized meal for one, it was finicky to assemble and the SS cross pieces started to bend after a fair bit of use. Along with the veggie steamer required to hold the briquettes, it was starting to get a little bit on the bulky side.

I then bought a folding portable grill off of G wizz, very similar to this one

It folds fairly flat and has a good sized grill top, so you can cook a decent sized meal for two on it. It packs away in it's own bag and easily fits in a trunk, or most panniers.
    I also pack a fold flat charcoal chimney in with it to start the briquettes on fire quickly and easily.

Name:	Tote Bags  -  1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	15914 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tote Bags.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	15915 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010725.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	15916 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portable folding grill.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	15917 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020103.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	528.7 KB 
ID:	15918
    I bought a cheap version of this grill on Amazon. I used it a few times, but it just didn't fit back into the bag and the grills didn't sit right on the top. I tired of it and left it at a campground by the dumpster in case someone else needed a camp grill. Yours looks pretty good.

(Threadstarter)

Yah, I only posted the thing because I know a lot of people like to charcoal grill instead of gas. For a trailer tugger I don't think it's too big, and being self-contained like it is, even having the suspended coal rack like it does I thought it might appeal to some. Whether or not it even comes to market is a good question, seems like kickstarter ideas are all the rage nowadays.

I am using something called Donk Grill A guy on one of the forums make it. You can see the steak on it. It folds flat so it's easy to transports. Only thing is it's made from iron so you have to keep it seasoned up good.
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long