Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Brake Controller ??

Cool Electric Brake Controller ??

Im to pick up my Aspen Classic in April , Gonna tug it with my 14 Limited , those of you out there that have Electric Brakes what brand are you using? I seen one gentleman mounted his controller on the tongue of the camper.I like that idea. Also like the idea of having a switch to turn the brakes off anyone done this? Thanks much….It's warming up and m getting itchy
    Bob

Re: Electric Brake Controller ??

Mounting the controller is a personal choice. Some mount it in the tour pak, others inside the trailer and some on the tongue. I would favor the tongue so it can be accessed easier, but it won't be out of the weather. The isea of a switch is a good one.
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard

Rick B is right on where you can mount the controller is up to you. I mounted it to the tongue in a waterproof box and I also installed a switch in my dash to turn off the power anytime I want too. I may have went a little bit over kill because I ran the power from the battery through a relay that was switched on or off by my dash switch. the controller I use is a time delay type and it works great for the little trailer.

Senior
    2009 Victory Vision
    Aspen classic
    Over night Camping welcome

I use a Tekonsha Voyager electronic brake control. If its parked I put a baggy over it, or if its raining or about to.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Senior, I like how you did yours so much, I'm changing mine to something like that. Found a good plastic waterproof case that it will just barely fit inside of, and rerouting the cable that goes to the controller to go along the cable that has the vehicle connector on it.

Bob, Harley makes the switches that go in the dash of your fairing, that's what I used to switch my brakes on and off. The one I put on my Ultra has two switches, one with a relay to power high amp things and one that just handles the smaller stuff. Kind of expensive of course but everything they make is...
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    Bob, Harley makes the switches that go in the dash of your fairing, that's what I used to switch my brakes on and off. The one I put on my Ultra has two switches, one with a relay to power high amp things and one that just handles the smaller stuff. Kind of expensive of course but everything they make is...
    haha Bluetick… agreed about how thing harley tend to be a bit pricey ..My limited has extra switches in the fairing so I'm thinking one of them will work to switch the brakes I also have resolved to put my controller on the the trailer .. like the idea of the weather proof box … ….so its time to go shopping !

(Threadstarter)

Thanks every one for the advice

(Threadstarter)

Bluetiick
    Have a question for you , did you have to use a converter for your trailer brakes on your 14 ? I wired my aspen up according to the spec and I'm not having success I purchased the light kit and hitch from open road out fitters thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobGlide View Post
    Bluetiick
    Have a question for you , did you have to use a converter for your trailer brakes on your 14 ? I wired my aspen up according to the spec and I'm not having success I purchased the light kit and hitch from open road out fitters thanks
    I have a converter in the wiring harness. The '14 changed the wiring from the earlier bikes, they used to be five wire, now it's a four wire setup.