Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip routing! What do you use?

Re: Trip routing! What do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by hardwire View Post
    ...last year with my nuvi1490 gps and smart phone for backup incase gps breaks...
    hardwire, have you had an issues with your 1490 resetting from the power cord wiggling?
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

My phone and or a map
    Gets me about anyplace i NEED TO GO .
    hELPS PLAN gAS STOPS SO i DONT HAVE TO CARRY EXTRA AND SHOWS CAMPSITES
    Seems to work pretty well
    Oh yeah and know how far I can go on a tank LOL
    2018 Pearl White Goldwing Tour DCT
    Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

a map is what I use most but never seem to follow the planning 100% take wrong turns and still end up where I need to be use the Harley road planer once but it does not do so good I find the state maps work better that on big map with all the states its harder to find back roads on the bigger maps state maps seem to cover more back roads I do use gps for car travel when am trying to find certain roads of address

Anyone try MotoGoLoco? The program was more wrote for the British side of the pond, so not many built in camping areas to use.

But it is based on google maps, so everything shows up and routes just fine in the states. Lets you try variations and do re-routing, shows the mileage and time estimate for each day, and you can save them for future use. Dumps out to multiple file types and can directly load into a Garmin too.

One of my routes from a trip west last year on the screen:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motogoloco.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	300.8 KB 
ID:	15583

Quote Originally Posted by T_C View Post
    hardwire, have you had an issues with your 1490 resetting from the power cord wiggling?
    I did a few times on rough roads when I had the cable dangling to much... so I just keep it tighter....
    Mike
    09 VN 900 Classic LT

I use Microsoft streets and trips for quick and dirty routing. (I use Lots of waypoints) I can make up a decent trip over a cup of coffee but, it may have an error or two. If I'm not bringing other folks along, I enjoy the adventure. Support is going away for the program I hear.

If I'm planing a multi-day trip, I muckle through Garmin Basecamp. Not the easiest program to use, but it seems to deliver the least errors for me. It does many things other programs don't

I have used Tyre for travel and it works well if you're not the technical type.

Because of the issues I've had in the past with my street gps units getting "confused" while navigating complex routes, This year I'm running a marine handheld...and bringing paper maps...again.
    May go to a seven inch tablet like many of the dual sport guys are running if that doesn't work out.

Today's subliminal message is: ( )

I used Streets and Trips for a few weeks. Then I realized how badly out of date it was, and MS wants an arm and a leg to update it - you essentially have to buy it all over again.

I'm mostly Basecamp, MapSource when Basecamp can't find something to create a waypoint with (though the more I use Basecamp, the less often I have to do that), and Google Maps when I need to see something so I can locate it on the BaseCamp map easier. I've got a couple places I go that on BaseCamp the destination waypoint looks like it just out in left field, but its really a driveway back to a cabin.

What I like with a good GPS is if you need gas, you can punch a couple buttons and search nearest gas, and it will let you add that into your route, so when you get done fueling, you just resume your route like you'd originally planned it that way. Same with lodging (like nearest campground).
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

I start my planning with google maps, I don't have a fancy phone but carry a small laptop and may re-check google maps when I have wifi. Enroute I mostly use a very simple gps. But I've had 3 gps failures on trips, one physically broke from being in my tank bag for 2 weeks of northern dirt riding, one the internal 12V-5V converter in the power cord had one lead of a coil break off from vibration (now I take the converter apart and silicon seal the whole insides), the 3rd I crunched the mini usb power connector in my steering when the gps wasn't mounted. In a distant remote area without wifi and a broken gps you kind of feel lost without a map. So now I ALWAYS carry a map. Plus I like to look at it at night in the tent. In the provinces depending on entry point some have free detailed road maps at a visitor center and all have very nice free tourist maps on racks at restaurants and gas stations. They work fine and you just toss them or keep as a souvenir. In the states I use these laminated Borch maps. They are heavy construction and waterproof. The US Interstate is great for going cross country to a destination, has much more detail than just interstates. If you want more detail then you can go to one of the regional maps.

Barnes and Noble carry these along with online.
    http://borch.com/

04 BMW K1200LT - smooth efficient quiet power, sporty mile eater
    05 BMW F650GS single - does it all well, high speed cruising to rough dirt roads

Quote Originally Posted by privateer View Post
    I used Streets and Trips for a few weeks. Then I realized how badly out of date it was, and MS wants an arm and a leg to update it - you essentially have to buy it all over again.
    Microsoft Streets and Trips was discontinued after the 2013 version and support is ending in July 2015. I think DeLorme Streets is still going but it doesn't have much of a following. MapSource is either deprecated or discontinued by Garmin. That really leaves Basecamp as the only viable mass market desktop app for someone diving in now rather than clinging to the dying breaths and cold body of the program they know. Standing by for fans of niche apps to shout out, but Basecamp really is the last man standing, for better or worse. If you're a Garmin person, it's free and it uses the same maps as your device.

There are lots of viable online products. Lots of pros, cons, and opinions out there. Ultimately, player's choice.

Plus there is still paper. And cross bows.

If I'm just going somewhere, I'll punch in the waypoint, follow my muse, and let the GPS generally guide me and be there to find me if I really need help un-losting. Don't bother with anything other than the device.

If I'm planning a route that is anything more than a short of point to points via shortest time route, then I will do my route planning on a computer. Online app (for me mostly Google Maps) or desktop app (Basecamp) can vary. Basecamp search is lousy. All the rest is very workable for me after an upfront conceptual hurdle. Often I have Google Maps and Basecamp open in side by side windows. Whatever I use, as mentioned prior, I almost always launder the route through Basecamp before loading it to the GPS to discover any little whooopses created by small differences in the base maps. I've been steered back around to get to the wrong side of a divided highway enough times that, to me, it is worth the ounce of prevention. It is easy to scan for those irregularities on a big screen using the more capable desktop interface.

Big Bird, I can't count the number of funny (after the fact) places my GPS took me.

We were riding to NW Arkansas from Maryland, to a rally at Eureka Springs. At the Missouri border was a ferry we wanted to get, it would shave 3 hours off the trip. The GPS took me all the way around the perimeter of the finger of land the ferry dock was on. I assume it was at the end of the "finger" but it took another 30 minutes to find the goat path to get down to it.

And my GPS loves to take me over deep gravel roads, and its a motorcycle GPS so that must just be pure malevolence.