Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip routing! What do you use?

(Threadstarter)

Re: Trip routing! What do you use?

Hardwire, I salute you! You're a brave man to be so adventurous ................... no paper map WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by StanC View Post
    Hey Deb, a BIG thanks for the lesson on GL1800. I've flagged that and will work through it. It does seem to take me longer especially when I hear about all the sights previously used.

You are most welcome. IMO Basecamp has a big learning curve to it but so far has been worth it for me. I hope it works well for you.

There are many different programs/methods to route from here to there. You just have to find the ones that work for you and stick to them until you nail it. It just takes time and work to learn all the various in and outs of the programs. I still "stub my toe" with building and exporting maps out of Google but I keep banging on it
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by lytle1gw View Post
    I just point it the direction of where I want to go and take the back roads, takes longer but see great things on the way.
    Gene that is how I used to travel most of the time. I would follow the roads paralleling the interstates or just shift around. I've been known to stop and ask someone where I was before. But if time is short & since I like to crowd stuff in with a lot of saddle time, I've got to get better at planning. A couple of yrs ago I intended to come down to the Tn campout and made it Sunday. I left home on Thursday for a 10 hr drive time. See what I mean? To many roads looked like they needed riding first.

I've been known to just point the bike in the general direction and go. When i start getting close to my destination I let the GPS guide me in. The GPS has giving me some strange routing a few times. Some roads were not much more than cow paths.

I use a combination of paper, DeLorme software and just wandering. Depends on how fast I want to get places. My DeLorme software can be set to preferred roads, standard, and avoid. Each type of road can be set to your preference. When I do a route using the software I download it into my GPS. I like having paper maps along for the ride but actually usually follow what route I have set up in my GPS.
    We ride because we can .... Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingunner View Post
    I mostly figure trips out with Streets and Trips. They have always had all the detail I've needed .............They do have some good features for estimating time, fuel, expenses etc that seem to run pretty close to actual. They also have the option of printing strip maps with written turn-by-turn instructions.
    Streets & trips, I never knew of this either. Sounds like the estimating feature could be real useful. I've used Triple A for that in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by StanC View Post
    Streets & trips, I never knew of this either. Sounds like the estimating feature could be real useful. I've used Triple A for that in the past.
    The DeLorme Streets and Topo software also include the estimating feature for gas stops and and overnight stops. You put in the tank capacity and approximate mileage your vehical gets and it tells you when and where to stop for fuel. Most of the software out there have these features and many more.

I vary my method depending on the length and complexity of the route, but it usually goes something like this:

1)I plan my route on Google Maps and let it plot the basics then...
    Alter the route as needed so I can get to my destination(s) the way I want to get there.

2)When I have my plans finalized, I write them up in detail on the computer or just mark them on a paper map then...
    Print a very simple set of directions for the tank bag. I'll take along the map and/or written details along in a waterproof map case to refer to in case the simple tank bag directions fail (missing signs, missed turnoffs, detours, etc.)

3)Then I go to my trusty GPS and just enter the main points, usually the towns that I'll be passing through and my destinations, and search for them one by one. I'll put the GPS on the bike and turn it off. Yup. I turn it off.
    If I think my tank bag directions have failed me or if I screwed up following them, whatever, I'll turn the GPS on, find where I'm at, search for the next main point under the "previous destinations" file, and get my self back on track. Then I turn it off again.

There you have it. Tankbag directions, a map and/or detailed directions in the luggage, and my GPS acting as my shoulder angel.

So much for my method. What planning resources do I use?
    The Web.
    Truckers Road Atlas and paper maps. I tend to pick up the local maps if I'm staying at any location for a while. I don't use them as much as I used to.
    Tourist Maps. All the local area attractions. You can usually find them for printing on the interwebs.
    Google Maps for overall 1st stage planning.
    Google Earth, especially if I need to find co-ordinates for the GPS. I've camped at places that aren't on any maps. Also good for topography.
    GPS. not so much for planning, but as an on-the-road resource.

Grumble:
    I despise Garmin BaseCamp. I was able to plan a complex route on MapSource the first day I used it. Not so with BaseCamp. I've spent hours working with it but the process is arcane, the learning curve is very steep and, if not used regularly, the retention level is low. I have to check my notes again...and again.

For me, not being a constant user, the process of planning a trip on BaseCamp involves far more hours to plan a trip than the method I use and the result is often the same: I get there just fine.

After several years I recently deleted the program from my computer because I didn't want to waste any more hours playing with it. I still have MapSource just in case, but I never use it.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    I use Google Maps Classic in various modes to plan the route, HD Ride Planner to copy the route and download to my GPS, a Garmin Nuvi 765 T to navigate and carry a Wally World Rand McNally Road Atlas.
    If course corrections are needed part way through, I use those same resources at any McDonalds, or other establishments that offers free WiFi.
    I also use this resource to locate campgrounds.
    Dusty, getting out of Google Maps -- by "copy" do you mean manually duplicate, or have you found a slicker method?

I love the ease of planning and exploring in Google Maps / Earth, but it's a PITA to get the route out of there. My only real knock against HD Ride Planner is that it won't start from a Google Maps URL. Other than that, it's a good piece of gear.

What I typically wind up doing is either manually replicating straight into Basecamp, or using GPS Visualizer (enter the Maps' route URL into the URL field) to export the waypoints and track then import those into Basecamp. It's suboptimal and none of the shaping points you enter in Maps come across, but having the trace of the track there makes it easier to recreate.

After a couple of route execution hiccups caused by small differences in the base maps between my GPS and miscellaneous things, I almost always launder the route through Basecamp and look for oddities.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Dusty, getting out of Google Maps -- by "copy" do you mean manually duplicate, or have you found a slicker method?
    Yes, I manually duplicate the route, but having done it so many times and the fact that HDRP is based on Google Maps Classic, it's a quick process for me.

On a long trip/tour, I break each day's travel/route into a seperate 'trip', as HDRP doesn't do long, multiple destination point routes very well, so I break it down into daily segments and give them appropriate names so they are easy to find in the GPS's data folder.
    EG: if doing a trip out west I'll name them Trip Out West - Day 1, then Day 2, etc

I can/have done 4 week long trips with a different destination each day and have the route with campgrounds figured out and downloaded to my GPS in a matter of 3 hrs, or less ... but I do spend a lot of 'free time' during the winter looking at all kinds of different routes/campgrounds/destinations all over the US and Canada and I have a pretty good memory for such things so recall comes quick for me.

Keep in mind I had never used a GPS prior to 2011, but decided to buy one and give it a try for an upcoming 3+ month/21,000+ mi long tour that year

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Gazzetters
    Mapsource
    Basecamp
    Garmin 60
    Garmin 62
    Tab 4 8.0
    650 VStrom, Ural Gear Up