Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip routing! What do you use?

Trip routing! What do you use?

I like to use the highest definition paper map I can find. I've never seen the Butler maps but I've heard they are good. I do use the DeLorme State Atlases. I find them to be very detailed broking down a state into many pages of maps. The Rand McNally foldable maps are also detailed enough in some states to keep me happy. I'm usually looking for those old roads first used by the locals in an area. I like the big picture a paper map provides. Then it's pencil & paper time noting the names of the roads with lefts & rights. Sometimes I put down a mileage note if it's far between gas stops. Next I add the local sites I want to see and change the rt accordingly. This has worked for me and allows flexibility while on the road.
    I've not learned the ins & outs of the programmable routing GPS yet, such as a Garmin 276c & others. My son is teaching me Google Earth with Garmin routing with BaseCamp. So the GPS with the programmable routes that can be downloaded is also an option for me in the future. Another option is city to city using the GPS for addresses, though that doesn't always take me on the roads I want to go on. So I was wondering what source or combination of them do you use to plan out your routes? How do you deal with changes while on the road? Thanks I'm always learning!

Re: Trip routing! What do you use?

I use a old DeLorme trip routing computer program, it has not been updated in several years and I sometimes find that things have changed, but I too make a paper and pencil list of roads and turns and towns that I want to go through. On Butler maps, I live in the Texas Hill Country and have a Butler Motorcycle Map of the Hill Country, excellent map, with motorcycle related points of interest, even features best dual sport roads, is waterproof and tear resistant. It is really a great map, but not cheap, I think I paid about 18 bucks for mine at a bike dealer.
    Lloyd and Judy in Columbiaville, MI.
    2013 Ural Patrol
    2012 Burgman 400
    We tent camp

I use a combination of things.

I use Garmin 665 with Basecamp. This is where I learned how to use Basecamp Lessons I also use Google Maps and export them to my Garmin.

I also carry maps of all the states I am traveling through. Since we belong to AAA I just pick up what I need before each trip.
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

I mostly figure trips out with Streets and Trips. They have always had all the detail I've needed, but by the time I zoom in to get to that point I have lost the over-all picture. I usually end up printing out a lot of maps. They do have some good features for estimating time, fuel, expenses etc that seem to run pretty close to actual. They also have the option of printing strip maps with written turn-by-turn instructions.

Started with mapquest and printed the maps, went to Mappoint, then Streets and trips, mapsource....

Converted to Basecamp (whew! steep learning curve!) last year with my nuvi1490 gps and smart phone for backup incase gps breaks...

My trip last year to Cherohala Chillout, I did not take a single paper map, scary... LOL
    Mike
    09 VN 900 Classic LT

I just point it the direction of where I want to go and take the back roads, takes longer but see great things on the way.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I use Google Maps Classic in various modes to plan the route, HD Ride Planner to copy the route and download to my GPS, a Garmin Nuvi 765 T to navigate and carry a Wally World Rand McNally Road Atlas.
    If course corrections are needed part way through, I use those same resources at any McDonalds, or other establishments that offers free WiFi.
    I also use this resource to locate campgrounds.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lytle1gw View Post
    I just point it the direction of where I want to go and take the back roads, takes longer but see great things on the way.
    I use my GPS to do this when on one of my dual sports. (Wont work on the wing) Find a town on the map and pick shortest distance and follow the line on the GPS. Doing this has put me on many great unused dirt roads with lots to see.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I use a old DeLorme trip routing computer program, it has not been updated in several years.......
    I didn't know about this program Lloyd, thanks for that.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I use a combination of things.

I use Garmin 665 with Basecamp. This is where I learned how to use Basecamp Lessons I also use Google Maps and export them to my Garmin.

I also carry maps of all the states I am traveling through. Since we belong to AAA I just pick up what I need before each trip.
    Hey Deb, a BIG thanks for the lesson on GL1800. I've flagged that and will work through it. It does seem to take me longer especially when I hear about all the sights previously used.