Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to do Members with Camp Sites/overnight accomodations

Re: How to do Members with Camp Sites/overnight accomodations

sounds like a good idea to me.
    overnight camping available http://goo.gl/maps/Y0zqR

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Thank you for your input. I appreciate it very much. I will be using a few informational ideas from both of those places but overall here is my take on it.

MTF - I am a member there and have been for years. They have someone who runs an off line database for the MTF Touring Assistance program. That is not something I am willing to undertake as I don't have the cycles to do it. Now if you would like to do that.......................

Advrider - They do theirs via Google maps. It also requires an administrator to make updates to the map after the user enters their data in the appropriate thread. That is also, IMO, more overhead work than is needed for this small of a group.

Let me insert a few facts and figures. As of right now we only have 15 users who have expressed any interest all. Assuming the approach I have suggested is used the overhead is very, very limited and might be worth the work. Add more overhead work to it and it becomes very questionable unless someone is willing to step up to setting databases/maps outside of the forum software.

This is the stats for Motocamper Forums as of today:
    Members: 3,270
    Threads: 7,576

As you can see 15 users out of 3,270 is not very many. Therefore the level of effort for this needs to match the interest.

My intent is to leave this post active for at least 7 days and then count up the numbers. If we have 30 to 50 people interested, I am willing to put in the work to do the posting and such.
    The Goldwing Road Riders Association (GWRRA) uses their gold book to keep a list of members and what they have available. The book is updated each year. Hard to maintain without a budget to compensate someone for the time necessary to keep it current.

How about this: I am going to make a trip from Seattle to Florida.... so I announce on this forum my trip plans asking for any open space for my trip. I say I will be leaving Seattle at 8:00 am on the 15th. On the evening of the 16th, I will be in Southern Oregon or Northern California.... anyone have a place to camp on the 16th? On the 17th, I plan to be in the Phoenix Area. Anyone got space on the 17th? On the 19th, I am going to be in New Orleans area, anyone got space there? On the 21st, I will be in the Florida Keys.... On the 24th, I plan to travel up the east coast and would like to be in ..... yada, yada, yada. Put the onus on the traveler to post their need and let the forum members reach out to those making the plans, if they so choose to do so.

It is planning. It is coordination. It is keeping it simple. Contacts happen in PM's. Updates on the ride is optional for the traveler.... but it would be easier for those watching to be able to contribute to the cause.

I know I would be helpful in the Seattle area when possible.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

List us as having overnight camping available.. and other amenities that are necessary.
    Close to Mich/Ontario border crossings at the BW bridge and Marine city/Sombra Ferry crossing.

Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Holly Springs, NC

We currently have no space for camping, but there is a spare bedroom, hot shower, kitchen availability, and laundry use.

Once we move to NC, which should be happening later this year, this will all change and should include room for tent campers and possibly more.

We have spots for camping and assistance when we are around

I like the idea as well and have opened my yard/house up to many who have been passing through the area and need a place to stay. The one thing I would recommend is also making it mandatory to state the duration of time that one needs to stay. I have had people come and stay the night, ans some stayed a few days, but I knew in advance, and was ok with it. Then I have some that just don't know when they are leaving......... I hate to be rude to anyone, but I know when your leaving!!!! This is obviously the exception, but it happens....... be prepared.

Tent Re: How to do Members with Camp Sites/overnight accomodations

I have a place for tent or MC camper. Fire ring ,wood and shower. Restroom. MUST like dogs!!!
    Last edited by Dewey; 02-03-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: clarify

E. Iowa, Overnite Camping 15mi off Hwy 20

I'll throw in. Big back yard, fire ring, restroom, small shower.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Thank you for your input. I appreciate it very much. I will be using a few informational ideas from both of those places but overall here is my take on it.

MTF - I am a member there and have been for years. They have someone who runs an off line database for the MTF Touring Assistance program. That is not something I am willing to undertake as I don't have the cycles to do it. Now if you would like to do that.......................

Advrider - They do theirs via Google maps. It also requires an administrator to make updates to the map after the user enters their data in the appropriate thread. That is also, IMO, more overhead work than is needed for this small of a group.

Let me insert a few facts and figures. As of right now we only have 15 users who have expressed any interest all. Assuming the approach I have suggested is used the overhead is very, very limited and might be worth the work. Add more overhead work to it and it becomes very questionable unless someone is willing to step up to setting databases/maps outside of the forum software.

This is the stats for Motocamper Forums as of today:
    Members: 3,270
    Threads: 7,576

As you can see 15 users out of 3,270 is not very many. Therefore the level of effort for this needs to match the interest.

My intent is to leave this post active for at least 7 days and then count up the numbers. If we have 30 to 50 people interested, I am willing to put in the work to do the posting and such.
    Your right, both of those sites require a great deal of work. They both verify everyone's info once a year to be sure they are still active. If there are only a few on here that are interested and not worth the time, they can join those already in existence. If you get a large showing here, it will prolly grow over the years and will need people to run it. I wish you the best figuring it out.

I could have room for few tents or campers have spare gen if you by gas