Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike tires

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: Bike tires

Quote Originally Posted by lwcollmann View Post
    The best reason for not running car tires on a bike wheel. Check how the tire fits in the bead area.
    Like I said earlier ... car tires on a bike are not for everyone

If you haven't actually tried riding with a car tire on your bike, you can't make an informed opinion and you obviously have not tried it!

I have worn 3 car tires out on my 1992 Honda Goldwing, (approx 120,00 mi) which currently does not have many options as far as car tires that fit it go.
    The 1800 Goldwing is a whole different story, as there are many CT that fit, including run flats!

Since I am now towing a camper, I have gone back to a MC tire, as my fav CT is a tad too tall, which affects the power band (250 RPM lower) with slower throttle response in/around the 50-60 mph area - right where you need that 'grunt' for hills/passing.
    While the shorter 175/60-16 provides instant throttle response and extra 'grunt' at all RPMs, I loose too much ride height and easily ground out the center stand on dips/bumps, among other things

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

The best reason for not running car tires on a bike wheel. Check how the tire fits in the bead area.
    hasn't been an issue in the many miles I have travelled on.
    2012 Road Glide Ultra, 2010 Time Out

The hack rig I wanted for my Connie uses basically car tires. They swear it turns easier than with motorcycle tires. But then its not counter-steering and leaning unless the chair is flying.

Can't see any reason not to do it to the rear tire, especially on a big touring machine.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

I did run car tires on the pusher wheel of my moto guzzi sidecar rig. 2 of them. The price of the car tire verses a kenda tire is not worth the risk . I had to run a mg tire witch was over $100. The kenda is $56.00. kenda lasted 6000mi the care lasted 3500mi. The 17 inch tire is hard to find And not worth the risk.
    Lloyd

I've read reports that a motorcycle tire has a stiffer sidewall than a corresponding (same size) car tire. This is important for the people towing a trailer. Next time I'm at an event with a tire manufacturer present, I'll discuss this with one of the tire engineers and report back.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    I've read reports that a motorcycle tire has a stiffer sidewall than a corresponding (same size) car tire. This is important for the people towing a trailer. Next time I'm at an event with a tire manufacturer present, I'll discuss this with one of the tire engineers and report back.
    When you do, if you think of it, ask about the added bonus (of lack thereof) of the greater grip profile of a car tire on a bike when towing a trailer, and how it affects the side to side movement of the bike when the trailer wants to sway.

2012 Honda Goldwing
    2009 Timeout Camper
    Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 IBA member #59823

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

A run on flat CT has sidewalls just as stiff (if not stiffer) than a MT.
    If you have ever installed one, you'll know what I'm talking about

A run on flat tire is designed to keep the weight of the car up off the pavement.

Most non ROF CTs have a 2 ply sidewall and the taller the aspect of the sidewall, the more ..... flexible the sidewall becomes by design (for a car) That is why most will use a 55 series CT as the 60s are IMHO, too 'flexible' for my liking on a bike. (YMMV)
    My fav CT was a 75, or 80 series tire, but instead of the usual 2 ply, it was 6 ply, so it's sidewalls were more like that of a MT

As for mileage on a CT ... my lowest was 23,000 mi, while my fav usually returned 45 -48,000 mi

Like I said earlier, CTs are not for everyone and you must do your research on different tires that will fit your bike and how they handle.
    Some have tried a CT and didn't like, while others swear they will never go back to a MT.

These discussions are always the same. There was an article I think last month in Wing News talking about this also. I don't do it on 2 whls because of the physics involved. Hacks are certainly different since the gyro effect is no longer a biggie. Be safe out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Why depend on dealers and their rip-off prices!

HF currently have their tire changer and motorcycle wheel adapter on sale for $39.99 each. Use a 20% off coupon and get them cheaper.
    Add a couple of mojo blocks to the changer (I made my own) and a no-scuff tire lever and you're in business!

Dusty, what did you make your blocks from? Teflon blocks of some sort?
    2013 BMW K1600 GTL pulling a Home-made Trailer (Jess & Tobi the Border Collie), 2014 HD Street Glide Special (Christine)

I did run car tires on the pusher wheel of my moto guzzi sidecar rig. 2 of them. The price of the car tire verses a kenda tire is not worth the risk . I had to run a mg tire witch was over $100. The kenda is $56.00. kenda lasted 6000mi the care lasted 3500mi. The 17 inch tire is hard to find And not worth the risk.
    Lloyd
    what risk?