Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Air Mattress

Re: Air Mattress

Air mat is great during warm weather .
    I carried two sleeping bags as one over the mattress and one over me and never had a issue.
    but had a trailer and had extra room at the time .
    Thye are not that much bother and if not filled to full are pretty comphy overall .
    I use a coleman twin as cost less and not all of us need a $100 sleeping platform
    So they do server a purpose and have a review on this site
    Oh and REI is great stuff at a grand price.
    If you are not one of the hard core or even if you are there are other options
    Cost more doe not always mean worth it .
    2014 Valkyrie Red the fastest color!
    Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImRubicon View Post
    Air mat is great during warm weather .
    I carried two sleeping bags as one over the mattress and one over me and never had a issue.
    but had a trailer and had extra room at the time .
    Thye are not that much bother and if not filled to full are pretty comphy overall .
    I use a coleman twin as cost less and not all of us need a $100 sleeping platform
    So they do server a purpose and have a review on this site
    Oh and REI is great stuff at a grand price.
    If you are not one of the hard core or even if you are there are other options
    Cost more doe not always mean worth it .
    Typical of these types of air mattresses! Yes, they may cost less initially, but you have to keep buying/replacing them as they will all leak at some point!!

Been there, done that. Mine was garbage after 3 nights and the next one 7 nights

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Received my two mattress pads this afternoon...just curious, how much "human assistance" is required to inflate these to a satisfactory firmness?
    They are the Therm-A-Rest Luxury Map type. Don't see how they could possibly totally "self-inflate" to a satisfactory level. Looks like a little "mouth on valve" might be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    Received my two mattress pads this afternoon...just curious, how much "human assistance" is required to inflate these to a satisfactory firmness?
    They are the Therm-A-Rest Luxury Map type. Don't see how they could possibly totally "self-inflate" to a satisfactory level. Looks like a little "mouth on valve" might be in order.
    Did you read the instructions that came with your pads? ... ... IF the mattresses are brand new, the directions state to unroll the pads, open the valves and let the pads "rest" for 24 hours before using them for the first time ... after that, a couple of puffs might be needed to adjust the firmness to your liking ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

I can't speak for Therm A Rest but can tell you my Synmat 9 says DO NOT blow into the mattress. It induces moisture and can also all allow mold/mildew to grow.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    Like George says, open the valve and let them be for 24 hrs. Then roll them up, close the valve and then open the valve after you unroll them again. Might have to do this process a few times to get them to self inflate better.
    If after the 3 rd time they are still not inflating to a fair amount of firmness, add a few puffs of breath and then close the valve for a couple of hours, then open up the valve and roll up, close the valve and then unroll and open the valve. It should inflate fuller and more quickly each time.

Don't forget Marty, you won't need to let them inflate all that firm, or they will be too firm when you lay on them with your full body weight. It'll take a bit of experimenting by inflating/deflating them to find your comfort level.
    The idea is to keep your pressure points (hips/shoulders) just off the ground when in the fully prone position

The reason for the "break in" routine on the new pads is because the foam inside has been compressed as tightly as possible for shipping purposes and takes a little time to expand properly once it's unrolled the first time ...
    After the little break in ritual, you'll be good to go, and they'll self inflate in a very short time ...

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    Did you read the instructions that came with your pads? ... ... IF the mattresses are brand new, the directions state to unroll the pads, open the valves and let the pads "rest" for 24 hours before using them for the first time ... after that, a couple of puffs might be needed to adjust the firmness to your liking ...
    These were new pads and to my surprise there were absolutely no instructions included with either mat. I called their number and ask this young lady answering the phone exactly what does "self inflating" mean? She responded "well, I guess it means you inflate it yourself." Not exactly what I had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I can't speak for Therm A Rest but can tell you my Synmat 9 says DO NOT blow into the mattress. It induces moisture and can also all allow mold/mildew to grow.
    So, do these inflate to a satisfactory level without any additional human assistance? Just read the other posts by Dusty and Wizz further explaining the break-in period...Thanks...not too impressed with the lack of instructions with the shipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Typical of these types of air mattresses! Yes, they may cost less initially, but you have to keep buying/replacing them as they will all leak at some point!!

Been there, done that. Mine was garbage after 3 nights and the next one 7 nights

]

I have used mine 15 times at least and my daughter has used it a few times for girlscouts and such.

I never inflate all the way as gives a softer bed if you almost or just touch the ground when sitting and just off the ground when laying.

YMMV