Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Mattress

Re: Air Mattress

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Rex .... any good outdoor/gear store, or REI, will usually have samples out on the display floor and they encourage you to try them out on the floor to see how they fit/feel.
    I think there is an REI store about 20 miles from my work so I will have to stop in there.

Senior
    2009 Victory Vision
    Aspen classic
    Over night Camping welcome

i have used a few air matresses in the past and they usually are much cooler ( not all bad in the hot summer really) but almost everyone no matter on brand leak. most recently i had gotten a cheap twin size and it was fine... twice. then the third time it was half flat by morning. and like others i did a bunch of looking and ended up getting the expid synmat 9 lw on amazon for $135 they are listed on rei and others for $170 or so regular. i have only used it a couple of times but i have much confidence that it will be great!

the first overnight i used it i put it to the test and used it on my barn floor ( concrete) in my tent. it had been about 20* for a week before hand and the floor was very cold ( and hard, as if it needed saying! ) it was cold enough that even to stand on it for a few min with slippers or such you could feel the cold coming right through.. and i mean min as two or three!. on the pad i could not tell! it felt like laying on any other "normal" bed to me!. ( i have to say normal as i have a tempure pedic and they are a touch warmer than a standard matress) and the comfort was amazingly good! as good or better than the twin matress i have easily. back or side it was all comfortable. so i have to say thanks to dusty for learning me on it and even if i ditch all my other stuff i will keep it just because it could be quite handy no matter when i may need it!.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I have this one: Exped Synmat 9 Pump Dlx from Campmor 77x30x3 @$149.95 at Dusty's recommendation and could not be happier. I use it in my MM on top of the mattress that comes stock in the MM and it adds a lot of comfort to the set up.
    So, you use the Exped on top of the stock mattress instead of alone without the mattress...I was thinking of that and just deflating the Exped and leaving it spread out on top of the mattress when closing up the camper for travel. But never having slept on the Exped yet, if it is as comfortable for a "side sleeper" as I have heard, I may just leave the stock mattress at home.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    So, you use the Exped on top of the stock mattress instead of alone without the mattress...I was thinking of that and just deflating the Exped and leaving it spread out on top of the mattress when closing up the camper for travel. But never having slept on the Exped yet, if it is as comfortable for a "side sleeper" as I have heard, I may just leave the stock mattress at home.
    I am a side sleeper and find the Exped much more comfortable than the MM stock mattress but do not over inflate it!. Inflate it just enough so that when you lay on it your hip does not bottom out. In the MM the mattress is kind of screwed into place so I don't remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I am a side sleeper and find the Exped much more comfortable than the MM stock mattress but do not over inflate it!. Inflate it just enough so that when you lay on it your hip does not bottom out. In the MM the mattress is kind of screwed into place so I don't remove it.
    Can hardly wait to give it a try....may even put the Aspen up in the garage and do a trail run in the near future...

I have the Aspen Classic and the original sleeping pads just don't quite cut it for me. Not to bad, but just not quite. I have used an air mattress on it and it works OK, but they do leak and come with a host of down sides. Im going to add a 1" to 2" memory foam pad to mine. I put a 1" pad, doubled up in mine when I folded it and it folded up fine. 1" will probably suit my needs fine, but my wife may want more, so I need to try the 2". If the camper will fold with a double layer of 2" inside it, then thats what Im going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jobe05 View Post
    I have the Aspen Classic and the original sleeping pads just don't quite cut it for me. Im going to add a 1" to 2" memory foam pad to mine. If the camper will fold with a double layer of 2" inside it, then thats what Im going to do.
    Good luck with trying to fold up your camper with a 2" memory foam topper stuffed in it ...

When we used one, I rolled our topper up and stored it in the cargo bay. Since then, I wanted to cut down on the amount of weight we were hauling, and wanted to free up needed storage space, so I replaced the topper with two Therm-A-Rest Luxury Map sleeping pads, those I can deflate and store between the camper mattress halves.
    Using the Luxury Maps, along with the stock camper mattress, we sleep comfortably ...

G

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

I did it with the 1" foam on top of the existing pads and it folded like nothing was added at all.

I'm just jumping in here to "echo" the Expid Synmat 9. My lady and I totally love them. They actually feel like they generate heat. And as said,,, being a side sleeper is no problem. And after a good hard 4-500 mile ride,, a good nights rest makes for another day of great riding.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Well I will promote my recommended pad one more time. They have a zippered cover and machine washable. We use them in the house with our cots for guest sleeping and we always get a compliment on the pads. Just roll and or unroll.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter