Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Air Mattress

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: Air Mattress

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    You folks that have the Self-Inflaters, do you roll and store them in the basement for travel or have you found a way to leave them on the bed deflated? The two rolled mattresses and two sleeping bags take a lot of basement room.

Comments Please.
    That (bulk/size/weight) when packed has always been one of my major dislikes about self inflators!

Here is an example of a 78" x 20" x 2 1/2" thick insulated mat I used to take backpacking. It is the black n red roll under the 1 quart nalgene bottle. ....

Even though I don't have to cart my Exped Synmat 9 on my back, it is still a compact/lightweight insulated pad, even though it is 78" x 26" x 3" thick! (compared to the Pacific Outdoor Equipment Insul-Mat)

Yes, you have to pump it up, but with the built in hand pump, I can inflate it to a comfy thickness in under 2 minutes and with the large deflation valve, it deflates a lot quicker/easier than the self inflators with their 1 small valve!

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    Do you sleep with the Self-inflater on top of the stock mattress? And do you use a sleeping bag or other bedding such as sheet/blanket setup on top of the Inflater?
    Yes, I place my sleeping pad on top of the camper's pads and depending on the night time temps, I'll use either a fleece sleeping bag liner, or my sleeping bag, or if real cold, both to sleep in while on top of it.
    I see absolutely no need to bring a sheet/blanket like you were at home ... I'm camping .... and those things just take up more space, add more time setting up/breaking camp and are just something else to launder while on the road!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Yes, I place my sleeping pad on top of the camper's pads and depending on the night time temps, I'll use either a fleece sleeping bag liner, or my sleeping bag, or if real cold, both to sleep in while on top of it.
    I see absolutely no need to bring a sheet/blanket like you were at home ... I'm camping .... and those things just take up more space, add more time setting up/breaking camp and are just something else to launder while on the road!!
    Thanks Dusty, I really appreciate your input.