Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Mattress

Air Mattress

I purchased a Solace Camper and it came with a queen size air mattress. I am looking at purchasing a twin air mattress so that I can use the additional space on the side for my gear. What is a good brand of air mattress to purchase?

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: Air Mattress

Personally, I would stay away from the air mattresses for 3 reasons.

1) - they are not insulated and because of that fact, they suck your body heat out of you through conductive heat loss
    2) - they lack durability and always end up springing a mysterious leak in the middle of the night, leaving you 'flat' and requiring you to purchase another one, ending up in a vicious circle.
    3) - they require either a 115V, or a DC powered pump to inflate them. Combine that fact with the size of the mattress and the combination is heavy/bulky to pack if you are a solo camper.

I would highly recommend getting an insulated sleeping pad that is 3 1/2" if you are a side sleeper.

If you're a solo camper, then I'd recommend the Exped Synmat 9 Pump DLX, which inflate to 26" x 76" x 3 1/2" thick

If you have a partner who regularly goes with you, either purchase 2 of those, or look into a twin sized self inflating sleeping pad, such as the Chinook Trailrest Double-Wide XL, which is maybe a bit wider than you'd prefer at 48" x 72" x 3" thick.
    Another posible self inflating option is MEC's Super Reactor Double Mat which is wider yet at 198cm x 135cm x 6.5cm (78" x 53" x 2 1/2")

Either one of those two will also be fairly bulky compared to 2 Synmatts.

If you decide to go with the Synmat(s) and order from the source I linked to, you can save money on shipping costs if you have a US shipping address. If you don't have one of those, then take a look at Kinek, as I see they have an agent listed at 191 North Cavalier Street, Pembina, ND who charges you $5/package.
    I have used different agents of their's and have been quite satisfied with them, when I don't use any of my other US shipping addresses
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Any feelings on the Camp Bed 3.5 Self Inflating from REI? It is 78"x30"x3.5 and $129...

The Therm-a-Rest Luxury Map from Eastern Mountain Sports ..77x25x3 and $129.95 and

the Big Agnes Double Z Sleeping Pad, again from Eastern Mtn Sports 78x25x4 @$109.95....

also, the Exped Synmat 9 Pump Dlx from Campmor 77x30x3 @$149.95...

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated....Thanks.

We will be getting a new air mattress this coming spring and making the right choice is tough because to get a good one you need to spend quite a bit of money and you really dont know if its a fit until after you spend the money. I wish I could find a store to go and test them out before you buy.

Senior
    2009 Victory Vision
    Aspen classic
    Over night Camping welcome

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

We use two of these on top of our cots......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61hfY1Z5YZL._SX450_.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	15162

http://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-O...s=camp+cot+pad

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Senior View Post
    We will be getting a new air mattress this coming spring and making the right choice is tough because to get a good one you need to spend quite a bit of money and you really dont know if its a fit until after you spend the money. I wish I could find a store to go and test them out before you buy.
    Cabala's

I have this one: Exped Synmat 9 Pump Dlx from Campmor 77x30x3 @$149.95 at Dusty's recommendation and could not be happier. I use it in my MM on top of the mattress that comes stock in the MM and it adds a lot of comfort to the set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior View Post
    Rex .... any good outdoor/gear store, or REI, will usually have samples out on the display floor and they encourage you to try them out on the floor to see how they fit/feel.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    Any feelings on the Camp Bed 3.5 Self Inflating from REI? It is 78"x30"x3.5 and $129...

The Therm-a-Rest Luxury Map from Eastern Mountain Sports ..77x25x3 and $129.95 and

the Big Agnes Double Z Sleeping Pad, again from Eastern Mtn Sports 78x25x4 @$109.95....

also, the Exped Synmat 9 Pump Dlx from Campmor 77x30x3 @$149.95...

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated....Thanks.

Yes Marty ... stay away from that Big Agnes pad, as it is not insulated and only has a R rating of 1.5!

The Exped Synmat 9 is the most compact/lightest of the bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    Cabala's

We will have to plan a trip to Cabals's in the spring. the closest one is about three hours away.