Thread: Coleman 28qt Extreme cooler

Coleman 28qt Extreme cooler

I needed a new cooler. I wanted something less than 21" in its long dimension so it would sit sideways in my Tailwind trailer. I was prepared to pay $ignifcantly to get a $uper cooler. I had been told the Yeti 35 fits perfectly in the space.

I had investigated super coolers before and favored the Engel over the Yeti from what I read. I have traveled a decent amount with a Yeti guy, was planning to one-up him with my Engel that outperforms it in various side-by-side tests and costs le$$. To my dismay, the Engel 35 exterior dimension was too big. I dug a little deeper and was very surprised to see that the closer peer to the Yeti 35 for INTERIOR dimensions is the Engel 25. I don't know where those 10qts went in the Yeti marketing glossies. The Engel 25 would fit in my space, but all this research had me realizing that both the Yeti 35 and the Engel 25 are darn small and suffer from a low height that won't let you stand up a decent bottle, it must be laid down. It seems like a lot of money for not much $pace.

I was even more pleasantly surprised to find the 28qt Coleman Extreme. It is much smaller outside and has better interior space inside than either the Yeti 35 or Engel 25. I can stand up a bottle of wine or other typical tall liquid. And it was about $32 at my local Sears ship-to-store, vs. around $300 or $200 for the Yeti or Engel, respectively. In two outings this fall, without summer heat but with enough to get an inkling of its performance, it is surprisingly good at cold retention and fairly sturdy. I look forward to giving it a workout in the years to come.

Here's the manufacturer page. As I said, I got mine at Sears via web order. It is out there but not in your typical WalMart. Mine and the one at the link are grey/orange; they make a blue/white one, too.

The net positives for me are that I have more cooler space and saved a ton of money. It isn't quite the boutique piece of heavy equipment, but good is good enough. My only neutral / negative observation is no drain plug. If I'm not using cold packs and it's not convenient to dump meltwater, I have a little siphon tube handy that will make it easy enough to drain. No problem for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3000002008_3-4.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	14774

Re: Coleman 28qt Extreme cooler

Thanks for the review.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Maybe you can install your own drain plug?
    http://www.coleman.com/Parts/Drain%2...drain-assembly
    http://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Replacem.../dp/B0006FQJPY

I recently purchased the Coleman 36-Quart Xtreme 5 cooler from Walmart via their ship to store. From what I've read this cooler performs almost as well as the "super coolers". I wanted a cooler that will keep my stuff cold, I don't need a cooler that is built like a tank. I'll probably install a rubber seal around the cooler top as Dusty described in a previous post to provide a better seal around the top and improve the coolers performance. I didn't see the need to spend $200+ on a cooler.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    I'll probably install a rubber seal around the cooler top as Dusty described in a previous post to provide a better seal around the top and improve the coolers performance.
    Actually Brett. it was some v weatherstripping, not a rubber seal.

It did improve the lid seal and performance of the cooler.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Used our small flip box ice less cooler last Saturday, just put 4 soda bottles in it that I bought while getting gas and they stayed cold for 6 hours while out off-roading on the Ural.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9114rd6ifmL__SL1500_.jpg  

Thanks for the review,and am looking for a update when you get a chance to use it more.I did not do much research ,and bought a yeti.They are proud of them.$$$$$$. It does do a good job,but needs to be cooled a day or so before we leave .After it is cooled and the weather is in the low to mid 70's ,it will hold ice for 3 days.What I wanted was a cooler that would hold ice over night and through the next day.This meets our needs.In the past we had coolers that would not keep things cool or ice ,and I would put ice in them in the evening ,get up in the morning,go for a days ride,get back to camp and no ice.We would be afraid to eat the food that was in the cooler because we did not know if it got to warm.The yeti does solve that problem but ,they cost $$$$$. And there may be something cheaper that will do as well or better.I look forward to more review as you use it .

(Threadstarter)

I had thought about adding in the weatherstripping. Probably a winter project for me. Nice to know add-on drains are an option, not on my short list but things change and will keep it in mind.

Yes, the Coleman Extreme line has some real good performers. There's a little variance across the line. Most of them are Extreme 5 -- holds ice for 5 days at whatever temp (90?). There's at least one 6. The 28qt one I got is only an Extreme 3. lqqk_out, I think yours will do a little better than mine by their own ratings. I'm pretty sure it was an Extreme 5 that held up so well against the super coolers in the review I saw. If Consumer Reports had done it, it would have been a hands down Best Buy.

Quote Originally Posted by lytle1gw View Post
    Used our small flip box ice less cooler last Saturday, just put 4 soda bottles in it that I bought while getting gas and they stayed cold for 6 hours while out off-roading on the Ural.
    I'm a big believer in the Flip Box as well. I've used it three times now on three day weekends to keep our food cold. I "cheated" and put ice in, and just let it drain out the seams (they're not watertight). After 3 days in 99+ temps, part of the 2lb bag of ice was still there, the frozen food was still frozen (cooked the second night), and everything was still cold.

I keep the drinks in the cooler on the camper, the Flip Box is just for food.