Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chief Joseph and Beartooth National Scenic Byways

Re: Chief Joseph and Beartooth National Scenic Byways

I've been lucky enough to do that ride three times and I never get tired of looking at those mountains. May get a chance to do some of it this year again.

Red face Re: Chief Joseph and Beartooth National Scenic Byways

Quote Originally Posted by Parman View Post
    Personally I would spend an extra day in the area and make the loop and ride them both. If you only have time to do one Beartooth Pass hands down. I went across Beartooth pass a few years ago in Aug and it was 42 degrees and sleet at the top. Mountain weather is unpredictable. Be prepared for cold weather on the pass. It was in the 80's in Yellowstone when I came out to go over the pass.

Sorry Dusty just my two cents for what its worth.
    Thats a better idea. And thanks for the heads up on cold. That sleet looks intimidating. If it gets below 60 we Texans turn to stone

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Personally, I would double back through the park and exit out through the East Gate on US 14/16/20 (very nice ride) following this route towards Cody and then cut north on 120 to ride them both. Once you reach Deer Lodge, cut back down to the Medicine Wheel Scenic Byway (US 14A) and up over the Bighorns. Keep on US 14/16 to Gillette, 51 to Moorcroft, cut north on US 14/24 to see Devils Tower Nat Monument and then over near Belle Forche and on to Sturgis. A slightly shorter version would be to head from Cooke City to Dead Indian Hill (on Chief Joseph Scenic Byway) and back up onto the Beartooth and follow the rest of the route. Keep off the Interstates as much as possible and you'll see/experience a whole lot more!

Thanks!! that sounds like a plan

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    Dusty .... On July 28th a small group of us from Texas are staying in Cooke City MT and will leave the following morning headed to Sturgis. Also, what kind of temps should we expect this time of year?
    Are you camping, or staying in a hotel/motel in Cooke City? Either way, because of the elevation, nights will be cool and weather can run the gamut because you are in the mountains. Expect anything and everything. Once you get down in the lower elevations it will be hot (so you'll feel right at home) and expect afternoon/early evening storms (some pretty intense ones) to roll through, which is typical of the Rocky Mountain states and the Black Hills region. Here's a few shots of Beartooth Pass, 1st one was late June 2009 and the 2nd one was around July 10th, 2011
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Motels. Have reservations in Rio Rancho NM, Ouray CO, Evanston WY, and Cooke City MT. Once we get to Sturgis we'll camp at our regular spot, Bulldog Campground for a few nights. Expected it would be cool but this looks downright cold so will bring the cold weather gear in addition to rain gear. Thanks for this info, really helpful. I shared your route recommendation and pics with the group and now everybody's really excited and itching to leave.

Once you get to Montana and Wyoming and see all the nice roads and beauty of it all you might not make it to Sturgis. You could easily spend a week just tooling around that area to include Yellowstone and Cody. Cody WY has a rodeo every night and the Bill Cody Museum there is worth the visit. Good rainy day stop.
    "Sappers Lead the Way"
    US Army (Retired) Combat Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Parman View Post
    Once you get to Montana and Wyoming and see all the nice roads and beauty of it all you might not make it to Sturgis. You could easily spend a week just tooling around that area to include Yellowstone and Cody. Cody WY has a rodeo every night and the Bill Cody Museum there is worth the visit. Good rainy day stop.
    I'm kinda thinkin you're right. We've seen Sturgis plenty of times. Might need to make another reservation in Cody....

When I get out there I never wanna leave. The place is just breath taking.

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Awesome

2017 HD Tri Glide/ 2010 Timeout
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

OMG Dusty, you just made the Bride and I even more ready to see those in person. We are still working on our route. Since she is an Elder in her church we are looking at finding places to set up the Aspen in church property along the route for free. Well that and staying at our astronaut friends in MT and one of her relatives in ID. That would really help on expenses. Plus she just might get a story out of it to publish in her church's news.

Barring any complications we are heading west around the 18th of July. Kansas City, Sioux Falls, then to the Black Hills and those rides. Plan on riding a bunch of the pacific coast highway. Want to cross the golden gate bridge and then make up our route back. We are worried about going thru the southwest in August. Have heard horror stories about the heat.