Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Do you use Woodall's Campground guide and did you know?

  1. #1

    Do you use Woodall's Campground guide and did you know?

    I was at AAA today picking up maps for my upcoming trip (yes, I like paper maps) and I discovered that AAA carries Woodall's campground guides for the price of $0.00 for AAA members. I picked up the ones covering the eastern US & Canada which is broken down into 3 books.

    Now I have something new to look at!

    If you use them, what do you think of them? Any tips?

  2. #2

    Re: Do you use Woodall's Campground guide and did you know?

    I have gotten the big guides over the years and found that the will not last long because the paper is so thin the pages tear very easy and for what they cost I just quit buying then. I get the AAA camping books by the state or region Just me. If I pay 20+ $ for it it should last more than 1 trip. Zipp

  3. #3

    Re: Do you use Woodall's Campground guide and did you know?

    I've use them for several years. They are also available on CD-ROM if you are carrying your laptop. There are also several apps available for smart phones/tablets that I have found to be useful when not carrying the laptop.

    Greg

  4. #4
    (Threadstarter)
    dkurfiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,080

    Re: Do you use Woodall's Campground guide and did you know?

    Thanks guys. I was browsing through the SE US one last night. Considering it was free with my AAA membership, it has some good information in it. I just wonder how accurate their review data is.

  5. #5

    Re: Do you use Woodall's Campground guide and did you know?

    Deb, it seemed to be fairly accurate the last couple of times that I used it. Last year in Michigan and this year in New England (same volume).

    Greg

  6. #6

    Re: Do you use Woodall's Campground guide and did you know?

    In addition to riding I also camp/RV about 40% of the time (approx. 800 nights in the last 6 years). I have better luck getting campground info from rvparkreviews.com than I did from Woodall's or any other camping guide. I can access it from my phone or laptop and don't have to pay or carry a huge book.

  7. #7
    (Threadstarter)
    dkurfiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,080

    Re: Do you use Woodall's Campground guide and did you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shenandoahvalley View Post
    In addition to riding I also camp/RV about 40% of the time (approx. 800 nights in the last 6 years). I have better luck getting campground info from rvparkreviews.com than I did from Woodall's or any other camping guide. I can access it from my phone or laptop and don't have to pay or carry a huge book.
    Thanks for the information and I have lots of resources to use *when* I have internet access. I was thinking the books would be useful in addition to the paper maps for those times when I do not have internet access which seems to be a whole lot of the time. Loleta was a prime example. No one had phone or internet access up there and I tend to stay at NP or SP which have limited to no access.

  8. #8
    (Threadstarter)
    dkurfiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,080

    Re: Do you use Woodall's Campground guide and did you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwinger08 View Post
    Deb, it seemed to be fairly accurate the last couple of times that I used it. Last year in Michigan and this year in New England (same volume).

    Greg
    Thanks Greg. Excellent information. I may have to check out some of the places listed on my round about way back from FL

  9. #9

    Re: Do you use Woodall's Campground guide and did you know?

    Another thing that I occasionally do is photocopy the pages from the specific areas that I will be in and take only those with me. That way I can leave the "phone book" at home. It has also been suggested somewhere (on this forum, I believe) that you can get 2 copies of the directory and tear pages out of 1 to take with you. Not a bad idea if the directories are free!

    Greg

  10. #10
    (Threadstarter)
    dkurfiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,080

    Re: Do you use Woodall's Campground guide and did you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwinger08 View Post
    Another thing that I occasionally do is photocopy the pages from the specific areas that I will be in and take only those with me. That way I can leave the "phone book" at home. It has also been suggested somewhere (on this forum, I believe) that you can get 2 copies of the directory and tear pages out of 1 to take with you. Not a bad idea if the directories are free!

    Greg
    Good suggestions, Thanks.

    Since I have a GW trike I usually just put the maps in a gallon zip lock bag and lay that flat on the bottom of the top trunk area. The book ( I will only carry the one for the area I will be camping in) won't take up much more space laying flat with my stuff on top of it. I don't normally use the paper stuff until I am parked for the night so it's easy to get them out and replace them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •