Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seasoning Cast Iron

Seasoning Cast Iron

At the PA campout the discussion ended up around cast iron cookware and how I season it. Instead of me making a video or trying to describe what I do, I am going to link a video that shows exactly how I season cast iron and have been doing it this way for years. The only difference is that I was taught to clean the cast iron in a wood fire and used lard as the seasoning. In today's world I have a gas range and I use the method shown here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Tz3HnnCFs

I will put up some before/after pictures of the skillet Gary gave me once I get time to season it out. The skillet is actually in good shape. It has some rust on the bottom, needs a good cleaning, with some seasoning done but no warping or deep pits. I can't wait to use it in camp once it is finished!

here are the before pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140922_093739.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	285.1 KB 
ID:	14545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140922_093748.jpg 
Size:	450.5 KB 
ID:	14546

Re: Seasoning Cast Iron

My mother-in-law has a cast iron skillet I think she got from HER mom and I think you could bury it in sea-salt and it wouldn't rust. I gotta say tho, everything tastes better coming off of that skillet. MmMMmm.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Here are a couple of shots when pan came out of self cleaning oven

Name:	20140922_135248.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	489.9 KB 
ID:	14550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140922_135303 (1).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	452.8 KB 
ID:	14551

These two were after I scrubbed the pan out but before seasoning.

Name:	20140922_135712.jpg 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	14552Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140922_135720.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	344.4 KB 
ID:	14553

The next part of the process takes about 6 hours as it is 3 hours each seasoning step and 2 hour cool down between cycles. I will get one seasoning done today and another tomorrow.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Name:	skillet.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	475.6 KB 
ID:	14558

And breakfast was served! I will need to do more work on the pan as the eggs were sticking. I am going to start over and this time use the wire brush on the pan to get it smoother but over all, I could use it now and be happy with it.

jebus, 6 hours of scrubbing etc? That's some serious dedication. I'm one to admit my faults and I'll tell you straight up I just don't have it in me to spend that much time to make a pan 'non-stick'. I'm so lazy I've been thinking about trying those 'green' ceramic non stick pans. I know it won't taste nearly as good... but quick and easy cleanup works for me!

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiff View Post
    jebus, 6 hours of scrubbing etc? That's some serious dedication. I'm one to admit my faults and I'll tell you straight up I just don't have it in me to spend that much time to make a pan 'non-stick'. I'm so lazy I've been thinking about trying those 'green' ceramic non stick pans. I know it won't taste nearly as good... but quick and easy cleanup works for me!
    Naw, not 6 hours of scrubbing. 6 hours in the oven and next time it will spend 12 hours in the oven. I tried the green pans and they are ok but not my thing. I love cast iron and once it is seasoned up good, it is the least amount of work to maintain. Heck, you don't even need to wash it with water when you are camping. Wipe it out, and move along!

i just take new(to me) cast iron & stamped steel pans to the barn, where they get a severe wire brushing w/ the HD CUP BRUSH on the MAKITA ANGLE GRINDER

once that's out of the way i fill the pan w/ cheap cooking oil and make french fries, about 3+ batches, and throw the fries away

the amount of heat to keep potatoes frying seems to work well at opening the pores in the metal and 3+ batches worth of time is all it takes, to suit me/my standards

btw, i do this outside on the fire or camp stove
    Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now! steve ('08 ural gear-up, dr350, ttr230)

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    i just take new(to me) cast iron & stamped steel pans to the barn, where they get a severe wire brushing w/ the HD CUP BRUSH on the MAKITA ANGLE GRINDER

once that's out of the way i fill the pan w/ cheap cooking oil and make french fries, about 3+ batches, and throw the fries away

the amount of heat to keep potatoes frying seems to work well at opening the pores in the metal and 3+ batches worth of time is all it takes, to suit me/my standards

btw, i do this outside on the fire or camp stove
    Now, this one I may try...but that 8 hour oven process seems like a very long time for the oven to be on, especially if one has several skillets. I did do one inside my Weber grill...came out OK, but could use a little more work....but, it does a fair job of cooking stuff.

I have several skillet pans and a couple of cast iron camp ovens. The method I have used to season is put in a liberal amount of oil and place on top of a gas stove or bbq. Turn the heat up to high and burn the oil into the cast iron. Them give e a good clean up. This needs to be done out in the open as it generates a fair amount of smoke.

Then after using and cleaning for about the first 20 uses I rub oil over the pot/pan and store in a plastic bag to keep it clean.

Quote Originally Posted by 400web View Post
    I have several skillet pans and a couple of cast iron camp ovens. The method I have used to season is put in a liberal amount of oil and place on top of a gas stove or bbq. Turn the heat up to high and burn the oil into the cast iron. Them give e a good clean up. This needs to be done out in the open as it generates a fair amount of smoke.

Then after using and cleaning for about the first 20 uses I rub oil over the pot/pan and store in a plastic bag to keep it clean.
    May have to give this one a go as well....Thanks.