Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Packing on top

14 limited & 07 Bunkhouse white83's Avatar

Re: Packing on top

Can't wait to see where this ends up.

It seems to me that at some point the operator of the Motorcycle should be able to say "enough is enough" There is such a thing as an overloaded motorcycle, and or trailer, excess weight is not a good thing for handling, braking and any required emergency actions.
    When I was a married man my wife had no problem with the rule of this is your saddlebag, this is all the room you get, fill it with those things that you truly need.
    Don Ricks
    Atlanta. Ga

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive"

Quote Originally Posted by fabricater View Post
    Of aspen sentry.My wife has started packing tonight for our trip to BRP .My close are in 3 bags and now she is packing her stuff.My ? Is,Have any of you carried stuff on top of your sentry? Because when she gets done,there will be no where else to put things,There will not be enough room inside to carry all of this stuff.I guess she just don't understand how to pack lite.So when it's time to put it in the camper and it will not fit,maybe she will figure it out.
    Glad I'm not you, my wife went camping up in Black Hills in 2000 and although we had fun, she doesn't really care for the camping experience, so the only person I gotta keep happy is me. Now 3 bags of clothes (close?) just for you is a bit over the top I would think. Maybe she can beat you with only two. I find that one bag is usually good for a week and any time over that means a stop at a laundry. Most commercial campgrounds have laundry facilities on the premises so you can recycle. If you are both taking three or more bags, I'd say you both have a bit of a problem.

Some suggestions for the future:

Some long distance folk start large with old clothes, especially undies, and as they become 'unbearable' they go in the trash. The load becomes progressively lighter.

Don't bring enough tools to rebuild the bike. The tool kit provided on some bikes and an adjustable wrench and Leatherman should be enough. I do bring a little bitty compressor, a Deltran waterproof charger and an accuguage with.

Some riding gear will suffice for all 4 seasons, if it is 'proper'. A good ballistic riding suit (jacket, pants, waterproof liner and a warm liner) will suffice. The liners take up very little space. Wife beater T's and jeans don't qualify as 'proper'. Good riding boots are also important. The right ones will serve you well in most all climes. Footwear at the campground could be as simple as some sneakers and shower shoes (don't leave home without them!)

Don't need a big galley. Small Coleman single burner and a Jetboil for coffee take very little space.

I could go on, but you get the picture. Travel lite and happy. There's always a Walmart or other store fairly close by. As far as piling stuff on top of the cover, don't see why not (or why for that matter). Need more cargo space? You could always 'upgrade' to a Classic
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

I have packed things on top of my aspen classic. I just make sure that its the lightest items I am carrying to minimize the top heavy syndrome. My wife likes to pack the house for a weekend so rather than create an argument I am eventually going to lose anyway, I have learned to adjust the load to accommodate the extra clothing. I usually just keep repeating that its not an 18 wheeler and we reach what she considers a compromise and I consider a loss. The biggest thing I worry about is total weight, not bulk.
    2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic SE
    2014 Aspen Classic

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by white83 View Post

Can't wait to see where this ends up.
    Not where I intended for sure.

I won't be putting anything on the top of the travel cover.I was just putting it out there to see what others do.My wife has got my clothes down to 1 bag,and hers down to 1 bag.I had to point out that there was not going to be enough room to take all of that.When we 1st started out everything fit on the bike.Then I got a trailer so it would be easier to pack.She took this to mean she could take more stuff.Now we have the camper,so no tent or all that goes with a tent to take,and she thinks I have more room,,I can take more stuff.I have to remind her we are on a bike , not in the travel trailer .

Well:
    When I was a married man

Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

(Threadstarter)

I just pulled 1-1/2 cases of water,and a 6 pack of Pepsi out of. The camper. Lol. She must think all of the stores will be sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricater View Post
    I just pulled 1-1/2 cases of water,and a 6 pack of Pepsi out of. The camper. Lol. She must think all of the stores will be sold out.
    We never travel without a 6 pack of water AND a 12 back of Diet Coke/Lime. Now the water I can purchase any place but the Coke/Lime is much harder to find so it has to go along.

When it comes to traveling with limited space it's not a question of keeping momma happy, it's having limited space available. Ask the astronauts (female ones) if they were given 'extra' cargo space to carry their wardrobe with them to the space station. I don't think it would have been a good trade to leave behind the tools for the extra pair of darling sandals that would have no place on the space station in the first place. Sorry, gender politics get my goat and don't have any place in a rational discussion. The original poster had a question regarding extra cargo on his camper, on top of it. The question was raised 'did he really NEED more space than what is provided in the basement of his camper. It's a safety issue and a practicality issue, not an tired trope of an argument on how those 'silly women' just have to carry all that luggage everywhere they go. If I also recall the question was raised regarding the amount of luggage the man was packing as well. Not everyone has been exposed to minimalist packing and space/weight conservation. I would think it could be generally agreed that cutting down on weight and space while packing, especially on a motorcycle trip is beneficial both in enjoyment of the trip as well as safety. Game on.

(Threadstarter)

Lets not get to carried away with this, and not attack each other.We are here to learn from each other and make new friends that enjoy the same things.