Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: Packing on top

  1. #1

    Packing on top

    Of aspen sentry.My wife has started packing tonight for our trip to BRP .My close are in 3 bags and now she is packing her stuff.My ? Is,Have any of you carried stuff on top of your sentry? Because when she gets done,there will be no where else to put things,There will not be enough room inside to carry all of this stuff.I guess she just don't understand how to pack lite.So when it's time to put it in the camper and it will not fit,maybe she will figure it out.

  2. #2
    just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Age
    65
    Posts
    5,888

    Re: Packing on top

    Quote Originally Posted by fabricater View Post
    Of aspen sentry.My wife has started packing tonight for our trip to BRP .My close are in 3 bags
    What .... you going for a whole year, or two!?

    Should be able to get all your clothes (except the clothes you'll be riding in) into 1 bag for each of you, such as a saddlebag liner!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

  3. #3
    (Threadstarter)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South East OH
    Age
    54
    Posts
    748

    Re: Packing on top

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    What .... you going for a whole year, or two!?

    Should be able to get all your clothes (except the clothes you'll be riding in) into 1 bag for each of you, such as a saddlebag liner!
    I hear ya Dusty .she has clothes for cold weather and warm weather ,and hot weather.we will be gone a whole 10 days you know.lol

  4. #4

    Re: Packing on top

    THREE bags of cloths? ... For just you? ... Cripes .. When we rode to Alaska, the two of us together didn't take that meny cloths ...

    I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

    .

  5. #5
    Moderator lytle1gw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    McLeansboro,illinois
    Age
    72
    Posts
    4,533

    Re: Packing on top

    Heck if I let Anita take all she wanted too, I would have to have a semi as a camper. But then she gets cold if its below 75.
    Gary

    2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

  6. #6

    Re: Packing on top

    Yah, sometimes you have to put your foot down when it comes to packing. I let my wife have it after the last time I loaded the trailer and saw how much crap we had. When we started out we only brought what we could carry on our 2 bikes' back seats and racks. That evolved to me getting a flatbed trailer so we could carry all that stuff more safely in a trailer instead of loaded to the sky on the bike. She took that trailer as an opportunity to find more stuff to bring. I sometimes miss the simplicity of throwing a bag each on the back and taking off, let me tell ya. I told her if she wanted to take that much stuff she'd better leave the bike and get a car to bring it all because I wanted to be able to ride my bike, not drive a semi to bring all the unnecessary stuff.

  7. #7

    Re: Packing on top

    I don't have a sentry so can't answer that question but can tell you that the discussion about how much clothing to take is useless. I can tell you from experience that a woman MUST have options on her clothing and wearing the same jean 2 or 3 days in a row is NOT an option. So, move along fellas...nothing here to discuss

    Remember: If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

  8. #8
    Senior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lum MI , Overnight campers welcome
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,026

    Re: Packing on top

    As far as packing items on top of the Aspen camper, we use a soft side cartop carrier we bought at Wal mart it was a cheaper one they offered and is not 100% water proof. I set it in the center of the top of the trailer and use the straps to bind it down to the frame frount and rear. Now the only reason I got it was to haul firewood up there without it falling off. I only use it to pick up the wood just outside the campground. That way I dont have to haul it only a mile or two to the campground at slow speed without it falling off. I know in would work good for packing a few camping items if I ever ran into a lack of storage issue, but so far we have gotting our packing down to fit all in the cargo area for out trips of any lenght of time.

    Senior
    2009 Victory Vision
    Aspen classic
    Over night Camping welcome

  9. #9

    Re: Packing on top

    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I don't have a sentry so can't answer that question but can tell you that the discussion about how much clothing to take is useless. I can tell you from experience that a woman MUST have options on her clothing and wearing the same jean 2 or 3 days in a row is NOT an option. So, move along fellas...nothing here to discuss

    Remember: If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!
    Gotta take issue with this statement. A woman CAN pare down her apparel she takes on a trip if she wants to, and still have adequate clothing. 3 bags worth of clothes is simply unnecessary for a mc trip. My wife and I used to share an old air force bag to bring everything that came with us, clothes, toiletries, shoes etc and were perfectly happy and able to enjoy the trip. NOW she wants to bring more than what the bag holds just for her! If the better half has to take half her wardrobe on a trip of a few days, maybe a discussion of what the trip consists of is in order? Most all campgrounds or towns have a laundramat you know.....
    There are women that go backpacking, hiking etc, where they have to carry themselves whatever it is they plan to wear. Don't see them dragging 3 and 4 bags along to enjoy the trip. You just have to have a realistic understanding of what can be brought is all.

  10. #10

    Re: Packing on top

    Quote Originally Posted by kaitiff View Post
    Gotta take issue with this statement. A woman CAN pare down her apparel she takes on a trip if she wants to, and still have adequate clothing. 3 bags worth of clothes is simply unnecessary for a mc trip. My wife and I used to share an old air force bag to bring everything that came with us, clothes, toiletries, shoes etc and were perfectly happy and able to enjoy the trip. NOW she wants to bring more than what the bag holds just for her! If the better half has to take half her wardrobe on a trip of a few days, maybe a discussion of what the trip consists of is in order? Most all campgrounds or towns have a laundramat you know.....
    There are women that go backpacking, hiking etc, where they have to carry themselves whatever it is they plan to wear. Don't see them dragging 3 and 4 bags along to enjoy the trip. You just have to have a realistic understanding of what can be brought is all.
    First let me say that I am a woman and I pack for a week or 6 months in a single 35L Seal Line duffle. I will also tell you that I am the exception, not the rule. Yes, many woman backpack and go light. Many woman motorcycle and go light. They are the exceptions not the rule. Most of my female friends will pack enough on their motorcycles (and they are not camping) that they look like the Beverly Hillbilly's going down the road. In fact, many are now towing a trailer just so they can bring their "stuff" along. Oh, and clean clothing does not afford you choice but instead only offers clean same wardrobe.

    I am not saying it is right or wrong, just saying it is. Of course you can always leave your tools and such at home to afford Momma more room if you would like. I mean a credit card and a cell phone will fix 100% of all issues on the road right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •