Thread: Valentine City Park, Valentine, NE

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Fir Tree Valentine City Park, Valentine, NE

In the desolate land of the Sand Hills in north central Nebraska just off of the western end of the Outlaw Trail Scenic Byway, this city park is a virtual Oasis in the middle of summer.

This city run park has hiking trails, a small river running through it, lots of large shade trees, play ground for the kids, covered picnic shelter, peacefulness and hot showers.
    It has picnic tables scattered throughout, fire rings, flush toilets/potable water and showers are available at the bath house, which is centrally located in the park. No electric, WiFi, or firewood.
    There was a park employee and when asked, he told us we could camp anywhere. Not many places to get a camper off of the campground roads (which are hard packed dirt/gravel) but there are a few spots that are out of the way of interior park traffic. You can throw a tent anywhere, but still have to park along the edge of the road.
    Located at the northern edge of town. Cost was a very reasonable $5/night for my camper and my friend who was riding along with me for a few days and had a tent

I'd definitely stay here for a night again when passing through!!

Campground Info: - http://freecampsites.net/#!8753&query=sitedetails

Google Maps Location: - http://goo.gl/maps/CkWxG GPS CoOrdinates: 42.88585,-100.54786

Campground Fee: - $5/night

Time of Visit: - Aug 18/2014

Weather Conditions At Time Of Visit: - Clear skies, hot and humid. Day time temps in the upper 90s, cooling off to lower 70s at night

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Re: Valentine City Park, Valentine, NE

Looks like it would be a great place for a rest.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by lytle1gw View Post
    Looks like it would be a great place for a rest.
    It certainly was that day with the heat and terrain we were running in, Gary!

Thanks Dusty,
    I'll have to remember this one. I stayed at Merritt Resevoir this summer on a trip through overnight South West of Valentine, but it got dark on me before I'd made it that far. State Park permit required but I have the sticker on the bike anyway.
    Randy
    2009 Road King 2014 Mini Mate sold
    2016 Road Glide Ultra
    2017 Aspen Classic

I had plans to camp at this campground a couple of years ago. I stopped at the gas station/food store on the south side of town to wait for a friend who was riding with me. A guy came up and introduced himself, he mentioned he owned the campground a couple of miles south of town, told me we could come on down and camp for free. It's not a bad campground used to be a KOA, but the restrooms are a little on the rough side. He told us of a local grill which would deliver to the campground, gave us a bunch of firewood, just a really nice guy. I haven't done a review of the place because It would be hard to give a really honest review after the wonderful treatment we received from the owner
    Don Ricks
    Atlanta. Ga

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive"

Ditto! We stayed there a couple of years ago with the same experience. Actually it looks like you are setup in the exact same spot as we were.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    In the desolate land of the Sand Hills in north central Nebraska just off of the western end of the Outlaw Trail Scenic Byway, this city park is a virtual Oasis in the middle of summer.

This city run park has hiking trails, a small river running through it, lots of large shade trees, play ground for the kids, covered picnic shelter, peacefulness and hot showers.
    It has picnic tables scattered throughout, fire rings, flush toilets/potable water and showers are available at the bath house, which is centrally located in the park. No electric, WiFi, or firewood.
    There was a park employee and when asked, he told us we could camp anywhere. Not many places to get a camper off of the campground roads (which are hard packed dirt/gravel) but there are a few spots that are out of the way of interior park traffic. You can throw a tent anywhere, but still have to park along the edge of the road.
    Located at the northern edge of town. Cost was a very reasonable $5/night for my camper and my friend who was riding along with me for a few days and had a tent

I'd definitely stay here for a night again when passing through!!

Campground Info: - http://freecampsites.net/#!8753&query=sitedetails

Google Maps Location: - http://goo.gl/maps/CkWxG GPS CoOrdinates: - 42.88585,-100.54786

Campground Fee: - $5/night

Time of Visit: - Aug 18/2014

Weather Conditions At Time Of Visit: - Clear skies, hot and humid. Day time temps in the upper 90s, cooling off to lower 70s at night

Dusty