Thread: Ohiopyle PA State Campground

Ohiopyle PA State Campground

Link to campground: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...park/ohiopyle/

Date of visit: August 2014

Weather: 80F days/ 55 F nights - Sunny and clear with fog on the mountain in the AM

Cost: Resident 15.00 per night/non resident 17.00 per night with an additional 6.50 charge for electric at site. PA does over discount for 4.50 per night for seniors/National Parks Golden pass holders.

Directions:
    Rt. 40 East from Uniontown - Make a Left onto Chalk-Hill Ohiopyle Rd at Chalk Hill. Follow this road approx. 7 miles to a Stop sign. Go straight through & it is approx. 1 1/2 miles back into the campground. Rt. 40 West from VA/DC/MD - Make a right onto Rt. 381 - (North) Follow 381 approx. 6 miles into the park. At the bottom of the hill you will see a bridge. Make a left before you cross this bridge. You will go up a very steep hill. At the top of the hill make a Right onto the Campground Rd.1 1/2 miles into the campground. (If you have a large trailer or motor home-continue on Rt. 40 about 5 miles past the 381 turnoff & make a right onto the Chalk Hill Rd. Go approx. 7 miles to stop sign. Go straight through & approx 1 1/2 miles into the campground. Rt 381 S - from Turnpike-Go through Ohiopyle Borough. Make right after crossing bridge & go up steep hill. At top of hill make right & go approx. 1 1/2 miles into the campground. (If you have a large trailer or motor home continue on 381 approx. 3 miles-make Right at Road that has Benners sign. Go to second stop sign & make a right. This is the Chalk Hill Rd. Continue to Stop sign. Go straight through & it is about 1 1/2 miles into the campground.

Overall impression was just okay. It is a very large campground with 200 plus sites so the noise level is fairly high but in all fairness 9PM to 7AM is "quiet time" and it was enforced.

There was not enough bathing or restroom facilities for the amount of campers. The wait for facilities was about 20 minutes for showers and 5 minutes plus for restrooms. Even the men's room had a wait in the AM.

Cleanliness was not overwhelming. I expect to find wet floors and some bugs in the restrooms but not spider web that are old enough for the young spiders to have hatched and moved on. Half the stalls in the ladies rooms were out of TP and not refilled the entire evening/AM that I was there.

Would I stay there again? Yes if it was all that was available. Would I go out of my way to stay there again? Nope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails opsp1.jpg   opsp2.jpg   opsp3.jpg   opsp4.jpg  
    Last edited by dkurfiss; 08-10-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the pictures!

Re: Ohiopyle PA State Campground

did not actually camp there because I had a free site on the river for buying a ww kayak once..but I did ride my mountain bike on the rail trail from confluence to the park..watched the hotdoggers run the falls..loved it there anyway..

Re: Ohiopyle PA State Campground

Not far from Ohiopyle, is Tub run. It is corps of army eng. Last time I was there it was beautiful and well kept. Sites were along the lake, with electric.
    Gary

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer