Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive, fold flat, Charcoal Chimney Fire Starter/Stove

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Inexpensive, fold flat, Charcoal Chimney Fire Starter/Stove

I was looking for an alternative to using chemicals/fuel to start the briquettes/charcoal for cooking with both my folding grill and Dutch Oven

I researched charcoal chimneys after seeing G wizz's folding charcoal chimney. Most of them that I came across are large 'cylinders' that are very bulky. I came across one similar to Georges, but at $69, it was far more than I was willing to shell out!!

I resigned myself to building my own, but even the cost of materials was substantial.

Then while checking out eBay, I came across my solution at a very reasonable price!

It is as you can see a very compact and light package that performs well. It can even double as a stove/grill, as they include a grill to fit on the top of it. It would be very suitable for those that camp off their bikes!!

It assembles easily as all the 4 panels (heavy tin type material) are identical (there is no 'right side up'! ) and assemble with 8 thumb screws and wing nuts.
    Assembly instructions are included on the inside of the packaging.
    This is also a fund raiser for a Scout Troop, so not only do I consider it a bargain, I felt good about helping out the Scouts.

After you assemble the chimney, you load it up with enough briquettes/charcoal for your purpose. The charcoal/briquettes set on top of a dual height adjustable internal grill.
    You then crumple up some paper and place it beneath the charcoal/briquettes, inside the underside of the unit. You then light the edges of the paper and within a couple of minutes, your charcoal/briquettes are lit.
    One word of warning, place the chimney on a non combustible surface as the unit does generate a lot of heat and will ignite a combustible surface it is sitting on if you are not careful!

After 4 minutes, or so, the charcoal/briquettes are ready to be dumped into your grill, or spread around under/on your Dutch Oven.

Being so lightweight, it is not made of the most durable materials, but I can see this lasting you for quite a few seasons.
    The only 'negative' I find with it are the 8 wing nuts/thumb screws as they could be easily lost. I double bag them in sealable baggies to help keep them corralled. Might be advisable to pick a few extras up from the local hardware store in case you do loose 1, or 2

At such a low price, it can't be beat for a fold flat charcoal chimney!

Dusty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010731.jpg   P1010730.jpg   P1010729.jpg   P1010726.jpg   P1010728.jpg  

P1010724.jpg   P1010719.jpg   P1010720.jpg   P1010722.jpg   P1010725.jpg  

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

St. Augustine, FL The Nations Oldest City

Re: Inexpensive, fold flat, Charcoal Chimney Fire Starter/Stove

Ken, that's an awesome product. You sure can't beat the price and as you said it's helping out the Boy Scouts. Great find. Mike

04 GL 1800, 2014 Mini Mate w/ "Add-A-Room"
    Nam Vet 67-68 "Spooky" aka "Puff The Magic Dragon"

Good looking product, as an old scout leader will have to get a couple.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Awesome!!

Did the carry bag come with it, or was that something you made?

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Did the carry bag come with it, or was that something you made?
    That was something I made, which fits inside the bag I made for my folding Grill I bought from G wizz and my DO stand.
    Keeps all those related things together!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tote Bags  -  1.jpg   Tote Bags.jpg   P1010714.jpg  

That's pretty cool, I use one of the round ones at home. Will it cook Canadian Bacon?

Dennis

Excellent write-up, Ken. Thanks!

David
    2014 Street Glide Special

I, also, have a round one that I use at home, but it takes about 20 minutes for the charcoal to be ready to use after lighting the paper. Yours is ready in 4 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    I, also, have a round one that I use at home, but it takes about 20 minutes for the charcoal to be ready to use after lighting the paper. Yours is ready in 4 minutes?
    Your right, It usually does take about 20 U.S. minutes for these to work ... but Canadian minutes are different, it only takes 4 Canadian minutes to achieve the same results ...

Something to do with the metric system they use, me thinks ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.