Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Motocamper Events - Please Read............

Re: Motocamper Events - Please Read............

This should be made a (Thread Sticky). Great explanation. If you know the area( post some rides) so even if you don't go others can go on some great rides. Or if you do go they can come with or go on there own.
    Thank you so much Steve (I don't know how you can think that well at 6:00 am
    Gary

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

I prefer unorganized events... Deb and George watched Lil G and away Don and I went on a ride...then I sorta did a ride again but held back solo to get my M22 sticker in Suttons Bay and got lost on the way back, literally..took the wrong way to get back to camp..no problem, I liked it! HAHA!! Did not expect anybody to watch the dogs, but the offer was there, so I took off. Pot luck was just a throw together and everybody ate. It is nice to ride with locals who know the roads too....or just get lost on a ride! HAHA!!

COG (Concours Owners Group) has an interersting model that works quite well.

Do your own ride to get there and back. But by all means register and make your reservations early.

Sometimes at the bigger events there are seminars, tech sessions, etc. but those are not something we need to be concerned about.

Same with riding once there, it is basically pick up groups. Though COG has its own share of cliques when it comes to riding.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Whosoever View Post
    On 2nd thought the only thing I'd add Steve is that "you don't need to be pulling a camper". A lot of forum members pull campers and there seems to be trend in that direction. Whether you camp in a "lean too, a tent, a hammock, or rolled up on a blanket on the ground" you are most welcome to join in on the fun.
    Excellent addition Pat, I forgot to mention that! I did have someone ask me if it was just for camper trailers to which I responded no, all campers, tents and pull behind campers. I told him that while you see on the site that members are very proud of their campers and like to discuss their modifications, it's still a mix of tents and campers at the events.

I'd also like to add that we are very diverse in what we ride. Motorcycles, trikes, and scoots of all brands and sizes are welcome!

I'll edit the original post as you all add ideas.
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Meach View Post
    Some people are just more comfortable with more structure such as schedules, signup sheets, etc. as that's the way many groups and organizations are run. They have a hard time adjusting to just going with the flow with no body really in charge.

This thread will hopefully give people a heads up as to things being more laid back As fairly new members of the group it works well for us.

The RSVP is nice because it gives you an idea of who is attending and who to look for in camp.
    Sign up sheets for rides are always welcome if someone wants to put one up in a meeting area, I think Alisa put one up at the pavilion for a Saturday ride at this years Chill Out.

If someone is familiar with the area and wants to organize a ride that's great. Planning it out here early in the discussion works out well. I didn't mean to sound like we are against structure, we just leave it loose so some of the first timers don't feel like they have to participate if they aren't comfortable on a group ride, etc.

Either way, it's all good!

Yes a (thread sticky) Take your time and write it up Steve.
    Gary

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by moodygne View Post

Thank you so much Steve (I don't know how you can think that well at 6:00 am
    Gary
    That's easy, you just start at about 3:00 am!

Quote Originally Posted by kayakinbiker View Post
    I prefer unorganized events... Deb and George watched Lil G and away Don and I went on a ride...then I sorta did a ride again but held back solo to get my M22 sticker in Suttons Bay and got lost on the way back, literally..took the wrong way to get back to camp..no problem, I liked it! HAHA!! Did not expect anybody to watch the dogs, but the offer was there, so I took off. Pot luck was just a throw together and everybody ate. It is nice to ride with locals who know the roads too....or just get lost on a ride! HAHA!!
    Excellent word choice! A world of difference between unorganized and disorganized. I really like the former -- a good idea, shared central vision, then parallel individual execution of choice, liberty, and camaraderie.

Unfortunately, I've been running into a bit of the latter lately, particularly with some meetup groups that "plan" a ride but then neither share routes to enable loosely coordinated individual effort, nor practice sound group riding techniques to safely follow the leader. They wind up swarming the road unsafely, which they can do without me.

I hope to make it to one of your events soon to see how it's done, in the good old "Daddy Bull" style.

Ziggy
    Great post thanks for taking the time.

I know I should do more around here but I love riding and camping and just wanted a place for other like me to meet. Now that things in my life have changed I don't have the time to spend here doing them. I like the way we keep it unorganized so everyone can enjoy the event and not have to work all weekend. A big thanks to all that help me here all the time.
    Rick
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

Quote Originally Posted by Trailace View Post
    Ziggy
    Great post thanks for taking the time.

I know I should do more around here but I love riding and camping and just wanted a place for other like me to meet. Now that things in my life have changed I don't have the time to spend here doing them. I like the way we keep it unorganized so everyone can enjoy the event and not have to work all weekend. A big thanks to all that help me here all the time.
    Rick
    Would this make a good( sticky )for the event thread?
    Gary