Thread: correct tire balance

correct tire balance

I bought a harbor freight wheel balancer a few months ago and after changing my first tire (rear) I balanced the tire. It appeared to need three 1/4 oz weights so I thought it was good to go.

We left on a 2000 mile trip to NC pulling the Aspen. We only took back roads. (Most were under 55mph) At first things seemed ok, however when the winds picked up from time to time or my speed when the roads allowed it the bike seemed to be buffeting on the nose with a little tail wiggle on the trailer. I messed with the tongue weight a few times and not much change. By the time we arrived home I was ready to ditch the trailer and go back to using my small cargo trailer that was proven to pull great for over 10K miles in the past.

I rode to work a week later and when I jumped on the E way I noticed that the nose of the bike was still buffeting around quite a bit at high way speed. Wind was blowing strong that day but the bike had never ridden this way before in strong winds and the lighter the tank got the worse it became.

I checked for every loose item that might effect it. I pulled the front wheel and started to balance it because it had no weights when first installed by a local shop. What I noticed was the if I moved the balance rod and cones around 180 deg the heavy spot would shift 180 deg. After close inspection I found the balance rod that came with the balancer was not straight and had a slight bow in the middle.

I ordered a new rod and cones from No Mar and after using it to balance the front with 3/4 oz of weight and the rear tire need correction also with weights being 90 deg from first balance and only 1/2 oz.

After a test ride with out the trailer and some with the trailer along with 15 miles of highway riding at 70mph it was like riding a new bike. straight and steady no buffeting.

I learn something new everyday even if it hurts my brain to work through these problems and I just wanted to pass it along to everyone how just a little off balance will do some pretty crazy things to the bike.

Senior
    2009 Victory Vision
    Aspen classic
    Over night Camping welcome

Re: correct tire balance

Sometimes it's a learning curve getting things right ... ... Sure glad you figured it out before you sold your Aspen thinking it was the cause of the problem ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    Sometimes it's a learning curve getting things right ... ... Sure glad you figured it out before you sold your Aspen thinking it was the cause of the problem ...
    I had pulled the Aspen all around Michigan last year and it did fine. This was our first long trip and I knew it had to be something other than the camper, however as you know that learning curve sometimes can get a person pretty worked up.

I couuldnt sell the Aspen anyway because the wife just loves it and tells me all the time it was the best thing we have ever done getting the Aspen

Have you considered Dyna-beads? These will continue to balance the tire even as the tire wears.
    Brian
    US Navy retired 1983-2003
    If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by brianinpa View Post
    Have you considered Dyna-beads? These will continue to balance the tire even as the tire wears.
    I have thought about them but never really looked into them. I have heard good things, maybe someday I will give them a try. But for now I have enough wheel weights for ten years