Thread: Navajo Monument Campground

Navajo Monument Campground

I was there June 12 and looked around. Another park ranger told me about this place and said check it out. It is 10 miles into the Monument with only one way in and out. It is designed for small RV's but tents are okay. There is plenty of nice red dust to set you tent up on. No showers or utilities but there are rest rooms. It was in the middle of the day and I was not ready to stop or I would have camped there. Oh yea it is free. There was only one RV camping there at the time.

Re: Navajo Monument Campground

Capt Bob, Me and a buddy headed out to that part of the world tomorrow - can you give me directions or gps coords to this site?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    I was there June 12 and looked around. Another park ranger told me about this place and said check it out. It is 10 miles into the Monument with only one way in and out. It is designed for small RV's but tents are okay. There is plenty of nice red dust to set you tent up on. No showers or utilities but there are rest rooms. It was in the middle of the day and I was not ready to stop or I would have camped there. Oh yea it is free. There was only one RV camping there at the time.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crow View Post
    Capt Bob, Me and a buddy headed out to that part of the world tomorrow - can you give me directions or gps coords to this site?
    I believe there are 2 campgrounds in there, but I think only 1 open at this time. (?)

Anyways, this gets you in there and they'll direct you to what's available

https://goo.gl/maps/7PwYC
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Was there last year around September. Very nice, price is right, views are great!
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

Can you ride a motorcycle to the campground? I was at Monument valley once but wasn't sure if the road was too sandy for my Goldwing and camper.

Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    Can you ride a motorcycle to the campground? I was at Monument valley once but wasn't sure if the road was too sandy for my Goldwing and camper.
    If you zoom right in on Satellite View, you'll see that the road is paved into Sunset View campground. The other campground (Canyon View) is down an unpaved road - https://www.nps.gov/nava/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    I was there in 2013 with my Goldwing towing a Leesurelite. I stayed in the paved part, but wouldn't have had a concern about the unpaved section which I walked through.

It's a wonderful place. There's a short hike to some old dwellings, but I also did the long hike out to Keet Seel and back (bring water). Highly recommended if you're fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130823_636.jpg   Keet Seel.jpg   Navajo National Monument.jpg  

Thanks. Nice photos!
    I'm planning on overnighting there this summer.
    Are those wild horses in your first photo?

Yes, those are wild horses - at least in the sense that they are out there wandering loose. I imagine they belong to some of the Navajo folks. Saw them on the long hike to Keet Seel.

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Excellent need to add to my ventures

2014 Ultra Classic Limited
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired