• 54 qt

7 7.22%
  • softsided

7 7.22%
  • Hard sided

35 36.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What size cooler do you use on your trailer?

Re: What size cooler do you use on your trailer?

I've got a 72 quart Igloo on the front of our Aspen Classic... Doesn't get loaded with anything but bread, chips and crackers on the ride to where ever we are going.

I like it because it fits a block of ice, a case of beer, and enough fresh food for three or four days till the block of ice melts.

We use a 45 qt Yetti. It works well for us. We have found if fill it with ice 24 hours prior to leaving it requires less ice once we start traveling.

We use a small hard-sided cooler, probably in the 12-15qt range. It fits snugly onto the A/C stand which I double as a cooler rack. We also bring two soft-sided coolers. All three coolers are actually used for storage en route. Personally, I've never figured what the big deal was keeping stuff cold on the way somewhere; or buying groceries before you get there. I guess I don't go so far out in the boonies that I'm hundreds of miles from a grocery store.

So our usual plan is to load up the bags and cooler with camping gear; the hard sided cooler gets the tent stakes, tarp, and other little items. The soft sided bags are also loaded with small items (like matches, utensils, etc.). Once we get to the campground, we unload everything, and hit the road with the soft-sided coolers. They are just the ride size that each one fits in a saddlebag each. So we can ride up to a grocery store, buy ice (unless the campground sells ice, usually cold food will stay cold without ice in those soft-sided coolers for a 30 or 45 minute ride back to the campground, we'll buy ice if it's longer, or really really hot), buy whatever food we need, and return! I find that the soft-sided bags are better insulated, so we'll put perishable things (eggs, cheese, etc.) in one of those and only open it once or twice a day. We'll put water, snacks, fruit, etc., in the hard-sided cooler with ice. If ice isn't easy to find (i.e., not at the campground or sold at a gas station a few miles FROM the campground); then sometimes we'll even 'double bag' and put one of the soft coolers inside the other soft cooler. Ice in that will stay there for several days. The biggest downfall of those is no drain; so you do have to take stuff out and dump the water out.

I AM curious; those who load the cooler BEFORE leaving, why? And that's a genuine question. I'm not being critical. It seems like a lot of extra weight and complication (adding ice en route) for stuff you could buy once you get there. Unless I'm missing something obvious, am I? Maybe a particular brand of your favorite beverage you can't get at your destination or something? Maybe drinks en route? (I just buy a bottle of water at each gas stop, personally). Again, just curious. I know that's what most people do and I never could figure out why.
    2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2013 Haul-Master Tag-A-Long | 2011 Honda Shadow Aero (Wife's)

Red face Re: What size cooler do you use on your trailer?

I like my beer cold,and lots of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-07-24 16.04.03.jpg  
    When this you see, remember me, and bear me in your mind,let all the world say what they may, speak of me as you find.

Quote Originally Posted by RomansFiveEight View Post
    I AM curious; those who load the cooler BEFORE leaving, why? And that's a genuine question. I'm not being critical. It seems like a lot of extra weight and complication (adding ice en route) for stuff you could buy once you get there. Unless I'm missing something obvious, am I? Maybe a particular brand of your favorite beverage you can't get at your destination or something? Maybe drinks en route? (I just buy a bottle of water at each gas stop, personally). Again, just curious. I know that's what most people do and I never could figure out why.
    We freeze our cooler in the deep freeze the day before we leave to get it cold and then freeze our meals as well so they work as ice. We can carry meals for a couple days this way so we don't have to look for food when we get there. Yea, if you know where you're going you can find a grocery store close by to get meals but pre-made meals are easier especially if it's late when you get there which happens often with us.
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA