Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Wheel Trailers

Re: One Wheel Trailers

I've posted this link several times before, but feel it's worthwhile in case someone hasn't seen it..

www.eaglematetrailers.com

Doesn't require a hitch, just a luggage rack to attach to. Easy to attach, follows and stabilizes the bike (their claim) better than any other trailer made for a bike. I would think it would be fairly decent at dirt road or mild off road type stuff better than most other trailers as well, but that's just a guess on my part.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiff View Post
    I've posted this link several times before, but feel it's worthwhile in case someone hasn't seen it..

www.eaglematetrailers.com

Doesn't require a hitch, just a luggage rack to attach to. Easy to attach, follows and stabilizes the bike (their claim) better than any other trailer made for a bike. I would think it would be fairly decent at dirt road or mild off road type stuff better than most other trailers as well, but that's just a guess on my part.
    I've looked at these too. Not sure I like the way they are attached to the bike. It might be a better way or not, I'm just not sure.
    Bill & Sharon - 2007 Triumph Tiger

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbiker View Post
    I owned a Monogo for many years and cross Canada and USA 3 tines with that trailer. My only concern is to look et the back to verify if is still there.The best thing about this trailer it is co narrow it is possible to enter it in a motel room like a luggage case.
    I liked that these trailers were low and narrow.

But I have not been able to get a response from the company. I emailed them and then emailed my phone number like they suggested but still no response. Web site looks like it hasn't been updated recently so I'm wondering if they're still in business.

Quote Originally Posted by wrchael414 View Post
    I've looked at these too. Not sure I like the way they are attached to the bike. It might be a better way or not, I'm just not sure.
    I tend to agree. I'm not sure I want the tongue weight that far back and up. I would also be concerned about the amount of weight on the very rear of the subframe.

That was the part that I actually DID like. The concept is a very old and well proven one. Travois have been used successfully for 100's if not 1000's of years, this one merely has a wheel on the back. The wheel attached to the rear rack is acting as a rudimentary swing arm/shock absorber. I don't have one, and have never seen one in person so I have no direct evidence to how they work. The comments on their site all seem positive in the way they ride, but those are easy enough to fake.
    As for the weight thats easily calculated once you have the angle of the trailer on the back of your bike. I would bet that more than 80% would end up on the rear wheel and not on the luggage rack. I know I've had WAY over the manufacturer's suggested weight on my rack. I suspect anyone that has a tour trunk loaded on the back of their bike could say the same.

(Threadstarter)

You're right about the angle putting most of the weight being on the back wheel. Probably why they have a much sturdier wheel than most 1 wheel trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiff View Post
    That was the part that I actually DID like. The concept is a very old and well proven one. Travois have been used successfully for 100's if not 1000's of years, this one merely has a wheel on the back. The wheel attached to the rear rack is acting as a rudimentary swing arm/shock absorber. I don't have one, and have never seen one in person so I have no direct evidence to how they work. The comments on their site all seem positive in the way they ride, but those are easy enough to fake.
    As for the weight thats easily calculated once you have the angle of the trailer on the back of your bike. I would bet that more than 80% would end up on the rear wheel and not on the luggage rack. I know I've had WAY over the manufacturer's suggested weight on my rack. I suspect anyone that has a tour trunk loaded on the back of their bike could say the same.
    After owning a one wheel trailer, having the hitch/trailer weight up that high would be worrisome for me. Living here in the mountains and frequently riding twisty roads, transitioning from curve to curve with weight pulling that high could be problematic. Even lifting the bike off the side stand when it's loaded would be amplified as opposed to having to having a hitch at axle height.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    His claim is this: If it is not listed on his website, then the hitch is not available. I bought my hitch for my Drifer here. The link directly for hitches is here:
    LOL always love the ones that say if I aint got it it aint available

I had Hitches on two bikes he doesnt have listed and so Im guessing it was magic that I bought them off the internet.

I had a Uni-Go and it was ok
    Never knew it was there but way pricey due to supply and demand.
    They lean with you so great to pull but then other than weight the Roll-A-Home pulled nice as well.

Maybe the wife could ride her own bike ?
    as I get older I look at those toy haulers as a nice AC or heat to sleep in at night would not be that bad
    2014 Valkyrie Red the fastest color!
    Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

(Threadstarter)

I suggested getting her a bike and she said no. And we went to the RV show this winter in Cleveland and looked at all sorts of stuff including toy haulers. But I'd like to ride the bike as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by wrchael414 View Post
    I suggested getting her a bike and she said no. And we went to the RV show this winter in Cleveland and looked at all sorts of stuff including toy haulers. But I'd like to ride the bike as long as I can.
    I've been back riding for about 4 yrs now. My last modern road bike before getting back to it was a 1967 Triumph Bonneville I bought new in high school. I sold that in 1970 and quit riding on the road because I thought drivers were just not watching for motorcycles and it was getting dangerous to ride in large populated areas.

Well, my views haven't changed much, but to compensate for this I did buy a toy hauler and then later, a motorcycle trailer (for hauling motorcycles). I've been keeping the toy hauler in an area where I like to ride, and try and get there for a about one week every month or 6 wks. I use the moto trailer to tow my bikes to the toy hauler and to "destination areas" for extended weekends and ride where the roads are not crowded. I don't really enjoy towing the toy hauler, I tend to use the toy hauler as more of a basecamp for extended stays.

Just about everyone I ride/camp with rides their bikes from home to the events, although many are moving into toy hauler camping as they get older and less impressed with many of the park bath/restroom facilities. I know I'm not the most adventurous individual using this approach, but I feel safer not riding the busy in town loops and freeways. And it's nice to have something to carry all your stuff, get where you are going in comfort, and then unload and ride your bike in nice areas. None of my friends have given me a hard time yet about this approach because I can bring a freezer full of ribs, chickens, ice cream, etc, portable generator, grill and prepare food and have really cold adult beverages.