Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Polar Bear coolers who uses them and how are they?

2014; MY YEAR!

Re: Polar Bear coolers who uses them and how are they?

Well, thanks a lot.

All of this "...couldn't live without my Polar Bear Cooler" talk made me weak and now one is being shipped to me.

I need to stay AWAY from you people.
    Ken K
    2009 HD FLHT

Quote Originally Posted by kb9osl View Post
    Thanks to all that repled . Insulin is the main reason I'm looking at these, so with all of these positive answers I'll save a bit and order at least a 24 can one. I really enjoy this forum a lot and read it 3-4 time a day, that is till the weather warms up and I start riding. But you guys will be doing the same !!
    Thanks again and if any of you are riding in central In ,look me up and will go eat and talk camping. bikes or what ever. I might even have a place to set up your camper or tent in the back yard.
    For insulin you might want to use their MediCooler. It is quite small, and you buy the optional remote thermometer which is a must have. It comes with a gell-filled tumbler with a screw on cap. This keeps the insulin from freezing or coming in contact with ice, which would ruin it.

Also, when you make the ice, use the included heavy zip-lock bag to hold the ice. Fill it about 1/4 or less and then roll it until the air is mostly out, and close the zip-lock. Put that in the bottom of the MediCooler. Put the thermometer sending unit in the tumbler with the insulin.

I used neoprene sleeves to keep the bottles from rattling/breaking, which I got at Amazon. For some reason they are acting like they never sold them before.....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vial-Protection-Securitee-Blanket-Short/dp/B000R81M48"]http://www.amazon.com/Vial-Protection-Securitee-Blanket-Short/dp/B000R81M48[/ame]
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Polar Bear just increased their List Prices (as of 4/06/2015), some by $10/per cooler (ouch!!). If you are looking for a 6 or 12 pack, I have "a contact" who sells them way below List. Just PM me and I'll forward you his info.......... :-)
    I gots a face only my mother could love......and she has suggested plastic surgery!!!

will have to check them out I had a yeti given to me by a contractor (might have been a bribe) not sure I would pay for one but it works like no other I have ever had bag of ice for a week in 100 temps if you don't open it to much when camping I try to use water bottles frozen and freeze all the meat I take

I have the 24 can silver. The silver is much better in person than it looks in the photos, and they say it has some extra heat trapping talent. It was a few bucks more expensive than the other colors when I bought it a year+ ago, though lately they have some new fancy and pricier colors. It works pretty well for pure performance (good for a day) and is built VERY well. I would recommend, would buy again, and gave one as a wedding present. +1 on the 2-for-1 deal. You can get them embroidered, too, 3 lines x 12 char. Mine says:
    24 hrs/day
    24 beers/case
    Coincidence?

The Polar Bears are less a super cooler than they are a VERY high quality and convenient soft cooler that does a solid job for a day.

If you want to pursue a super cooler (Yeti, etc.) take a good look at Engel. Good place on the value=performance+price curve. Yeti, Pelican, etc. are a little more boutique than they are workhorses.

Also, Privateer, congrats on kicking the insulin habit, however you did it.

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kb9osl View Post
    I'm sure that I've read on here something about Polar Bear coolers. Also is there a member that sells them on here ? Can anyone tell me pros or cons about them? I'm starting to buy stuff for our new bunkhouse lx and am thinking about the 48 can one. I'm disabled an on fixed income, We would like to be able to camp 2-3 days before going to get ice and supplies . Does this cooler really keep things cold for this amount of time? I'll be able to keep it out of direct sunlight at all times. For those of you that do have this cooler ,do you use dry ice or just bag ice? Thanks for any replies ,
    I use mine everyday it keeps my food cold and easy to carry on the bike

2014 Ultra Classic Limited
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

I have the burgundy 24 and 12 can coolers. I like them alot. They usually go along in conjunction to my Coleman cooler, as I like to use one or the other inside of my coleman cooler, depending on the trip and the first days ride out. I too freeze water bottles and all of my sandwich meat. I like to bring along frozen sliced ham. Ice cream.... lol

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

We really like our backpack cooler. Easy to carry if a bit heavy when loaded down.
    2012 Road Glide Ultra, 2010 Time Out

What size Coleman cooler do you use that the Polar Bear 24 fits into?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    I have the burgundy 24 and 12 can coolers. I like them alot. They usually go along in conjunction to my Coleman cooler, as I like to use one or the other inside of my coleman cooler, depending on the trip and the first days ride out.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    What size Coleman cooler do you use that the Polar Bear 24 fits into?
    I have three main hard sided coolers that I use:

Coleman: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DP67KZ4/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Igloo 48 can cooler: This is the older one that is no longer sold.

12 can retro cooler: http://www.amazon.com/American-Retro...ke+cola+cooler