Thread: New Denver Campground

New Denver Campground

There is a small town on the shores of Slocan Lake in southern British Columbia called New Denver, it was home to an Japanese internment camp during the second world war and is still home to a Memorial site of that camp. It is where a quasi famous Canadian personality David Suzuki and his family were interred during the war. There is also a small but well done Japanese reflection garden next to the campsite.

Our RC flying club has both a spring and fall float fly at this campground every year. In the pics you can see a para glider coming over my head then landing in another shot. In one photo you can see the washroom/ shower rooms in the back ground. There is also a pic of me flying my little Super Cub having some stress free fun. I didn't get any pics of my camp set up as I had put my camera some place safe and did not find it until I had been home for about a week!

There are a total of 45 sites in this camp ground with about half on each side of a park and the half that is right on the shore are the ones with no services. The ones on the other side of the park have water and electric and are all along the edge of a creek. The prices have risen considerably over the last ten years from about 12 dollars for the unserviced to 22 dollars last fall.

It used to be my all time favorite place to camp until they started allowing generators for several hours in the morning and several hours in the evening. Now I will only go there for club events as there are other less noisy places to camp when I would like to get away from it all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130911_182502 (Large).jpg   IMG_1205 (Medium).JPG   IMG_1203 (Medium).JPG   IMG_1199 (Medium).JPG   IMG_1198 (Medium).JPG  

Pete
    2010 Goldwing, 2012 Aspen Sentry

There are no strangers here, just friends we haven't met!

(Threadstarter)

Re: New Denver Campground

A few more pics taken by a friend. Some the planes and some of the guys, the one pic has me on the left and my friend Jim on the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4951_1.jpg   IMG_5123_1.jpg   IMG_4922_1.JPG   IMG_5168_1.jpg   IMG_4815_1.jpg  

St. Augustine, FL The Nations Oldest City

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    A few more pics taken by a friend. Some the planes and some of the guys, the one pic has me on the left and my friend Jim on the right.
    Georgia Veterans State Park has a RC flying field plus a nice static aircraft display. I camped there (Truck camping) a year ago and took 2 of my planes but it poured rain all weekend so I didn't get to fly. No runway just about a 4 acre open field of mown grass.

http://gastateparks.org/GeorgiaVeterans/gallery

Mike

04 GL 1800, 2014 Mini Mate w/ "Add-A-Room"
    Nam Vet 67-68 "Spooky" aka "Puff The Magic Dragon"

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Huh! ... I've been in that area quite a bit riding/camping, but never even knew that campground existed, Pete!

I'll have to pop in and check that place out next time I'm in the area.
    I have stayed at the top end of the lake, at the BC FRS Wragge Beach before.

This shot of me by the lake would have been right on the north side of the creek/campground you were at, down by the foot of Slocan Ave

You'd know this spot!

The West Kootenays is one of my favourite riding/camping areas in all of BC!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Great pics Pete, what a cool hobby!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Mike my home club has two fields, a short paved runway at one and a long grass runway at the other. We normally do most of our flying at the grass field this picture was taken at.

Ken I'm really surprised you missed this campground in your travels, most of the sites on the unserviced side are right on the lake shore. Silverton also has a small campground but it is not as nice and yes I do recognize the photos!

Steve I held a private pilots license as a young man and had to give it up when kids came along as I could not afford both. When the kids had grown up and moved out I looked at getting it back but flying had got very expensive so I did the next best thing and took up RC flying. It is a great hobby with many different facets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1195 (Large).JPG