Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best year for wing

Re: best year for wing

I have had 3 82's and 2 81's every one of them ran perfect,,,,almost Bullet Proof if set up right and serviced just a little.

On The Road Again

Quote Originally Posted by 1betsy1 View Post
    Most of all the bugs worked on the 98,99 and 2000 GL1500SE
    I agree. Mine is a '99 and I love it.
    These later ones had the stronger drive shaft and universal joint that was also used in the Valkyrie models.
    I love the LOOK of the Valkyrie of that age, but I wouldn't want to deal with their SIX carburetors!

But any of the 1500s are good bikes if taken care of. A guy I know recently sold
    a 1989 1500 with 475,000 miles on it!! With proper care they run forever.
    Seeing as how I'm 69 years old, I expect my 1500 to outlast me.

Not sure how common it is but the Honda Dealer in Toledo, Ohio won't work on 1500 wings anymore. They will still work on my 97 Valkyrie because he says most of the parts are shared across Honda's line up where as the Wing has lots of parts that are only for the wing and are getting hard to get. Don't really know if thats accurate but its there claim

We have encountered several dealers that will not work the 1500 Wing. We were planning a three month trip so I was calling some dealers that we have used in the past to make some appointments for service/tires. My bride has a 1996SE that is in great shape, we were told by most of the shops that they would not work on any bike over 20 years. They said they could not get some parts and some bikes of that age are tough to work on due to corrosion if the bikes have not been taken care of. As it turned out my wife was only able to go on the first month of the trip so that cut back the need for servicing to just an oil change and I wanted them to checked/torque the steering heads bearings . All of the work would be pretty basic stuff. They told me they would not do the work because of the parts/age issue, I reminded him of the fact that the oil filter was the same as my 1800. I told them it had spent its life in a heated/carpeted garage and was truly in great condition. Eventually they agreed to work on it after an inspection of the bike. The head tech and service manager told me they would work that bike anytime we where in town.
    That experience got her shopping this fall/winter and she picked up a new leftover 2016 Wing.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Pretty common. It's all in liability. Most dealers in my neck of the woods cut off support on 10+ year old bikes. They just dont know what they will break while trying to complete what was requested of them.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

As mentioned the MY 97 or newer takes advantage of the latest improvements in the 1500. I just question...unless you are only considering a 1500, why you wouldn't go with an 1800(MY 2001+). The technology is so advanced. You get the advantage of fuel injection, ABS brakes, radial tires, lower weight, ect..... B.
    2008 GL1800
    CSC Escapade Elite cargo trailer
    Kwik Kamp camper trailer

what is problem with car tire on 1500 ?

On The Road Again

Quote Originally Posted by twoisbest View Post
    what is problem with car tire on 1500 ?
    My 1500 has been running with a car tire on the rear for the last two years.
    No problem at all. About 18,000 miles on the car tire so far. It still has
    a long way to go.

The issue of shops not wanted to work on older bikes isn't just for the GW. I've heard it across most brands, even cars. Besides the liability issues of not finding a problem on an older vehicle and something happens after it leaves the shop, you have availability of parts and the fact that newer mechanics simply don't have the experience to work on older models. Not to mention they want to sell you a new one...
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

HarleyJack

I almost bought an 80 GW with the Vetter fairing , but $5500 was serious money in 1979-80 for a single E5 sailor , so I kept the Hardley .. Have continually threatened to buy a GW ever since ..
    2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra