Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Refillable LP cylinders

Re: Refillable LP cylinders

Do mormal propane tanks have a tube inside to draw the liquid from the bottom, or do you have to invert the tank to get the liquid out when filling these small bottles??

Quote Originally Posted by jobe05 View Post
    Do mormal propane tanks have a tube inside to draw the liquid from the bottom, or do you have to invert the tank to get the liquid out when filling these small bottles??
    invert.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1999 Honda 1500
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 250
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

~~~~~~ CAUTION ~~~CAUTION ~~~ CAUTION ~~~~~~~

It is strongly advised NOT to pull up on the pressure relief valve pin or unscrew the relief valve stem in disposable propane cylinder’s ...

~~~ DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! ~~~

There have been instances where the valve stems have pulled loose, or not resealed, and people getting frost burns from the escaping propane ...

Also keep in mind it's VERY easy to over fill the nonrefillable cylinders, which can lead to potential leaks and fire hazards ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    ~~~~~~ CAUTION ~~~CAUTION ~~~ CAUTION ~~~~~~~

It is strongly advised NOT to pull up on the pressure relief valve pin or unscrew the relief valve stem in disposable propane cylinder’s ...

~~~ DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! ~~~

There have been instances where the valve stems have pulled loose, or not reseal, and people getting frost burns from the escaping propane ...

Also keep in mind it's VERY easy to over fill (80% MAX.) the nonrefillable cylinders, which can lead to potential leaks and fire hazards ...
    As I've stated b/4. I work in the propane industry. We'll not this winter cause still recoupin from accident. I'll be back at it next winter. But I will pass this little bit of info on from one of my manuals

"Contact with propane liquid will IMMEDIATELY lower body tissues to -44 degrees F, and exposure to liquid WILL cause frostbite".

And I can tell you from experience, long story, that it is NO PICNIC!!
    So if you think the savings is worth trying, which in my opinion isn't, PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL.
    USAF Retired (66-86) STOC #297
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
    1991 ST1100 & 2011 Aspen Sentry(RIP)

I only use a single burner stove and might go through 3 or 4 bottle of LP a year. At 2 for less than $6, Ill stick to buying them......... Sorry landfills..... But you going to have to suck it up and do your job!

I take all of those handling and cylinder reliability cautions very seriously and encourage all to do the same.

However, I think that 80% capacity rule of thumb is arbitrary and a bit of an old wives tale. Underfilling does not give you a safety margin, just less propane. Most cylinders have a designed 465g net capacity, and even that has a small margin of safety remaining. The pressure is the same when filled at 100% as it is at 5, 25, 73 or 80%.

Inside the tank, LP vaporizes until the gas pressure equalizes the liquid's propensity to vaporize. That's why the pressure from the tank is so stable from full to nearly empty. The pressure of the tank is nearly self-regulating; it is temperature sensitive, but not much else really factors in provided there's there's still enough LP to vaporize (i.e. not empty) and not so much LP that there is no gas buffer space at all and the liquid is subject to increased pressure when warmer (i.e. grossly overfilled).

Weigh the canister. Stop at the design capacity. You're not any safer underfilling them as long as you don't overfill them. Sure, you could link the two with a hand wave at being further outside an overfill margin of error. But it's better to focus with a little precision and reality on the real issues rather than this pretend there's an added margin of safety from deliberate under filling.

Quote Originally Posted by lytle1gw View Post
    You have to release the pressure on the small tank to get more liquid in it, otherwise you will only get liquid till the pressure matches the big tank.
    I'll have to get the tanks with the "tire valve stem" then.

Quote Originally Posted by gmaST1100 View Post
    As I've stated b/4. I work in the propane industry. We'll not this winter cause still recoupin from accident. I'll be back at it next winter. But I will pass this little bit of info on from one of my manuals

"Contact with propane liquid will IMMEDIATELY lower body tissues to -44 degrees F, and exposure to liquid WILL cause frostbite".

And I can tell you from experience, long story, that it is NO PICNIC!!
    So if you think the savings is worth trying, which in my opinion isn't, PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL.
    Wear thick gloves and eye protection. I work with liquid nitrogen (it's colder) every day at some point, and one only needs to be careful and exercise good common sense.

I have been refilling old 1pound bottles for years but talked the GF into getting me one of the 5 pound tanks you usually find on sailboats. With a "Christmas Tree" I can put a lantern on top and run two hoses for cooking off to the side (if I'm doing some serious cooking). Less trouble and space utilization for when you have to hug 5 or 6 of those one pounders. And a whole sight cheaper too.
    Calman - 2003 1800 GW Trike, 2007 Aspen Sentry (sold 2012), 2012 Mini-Mate Camper, 2014 Timeout Slipstream Camper
    YNCM, USN-Retired (64-90) RVN Vet, Patriot Guard

Like Calman I generally use a five pounder. A good friend and occasional riding partner who is a propane serviceman gifted me the five pounder years ago after I had commented how it was getting tougher every year lugging the twenty pounder in and out of my truck camper! Right now I'm using up some one pounders I didn't know I had, I must have bought a bunch on sale in the distant past and put them in a safe place because I had forgot all about them until stumbling across them in my camping gear last spring.
    Pete
    2010 Goldwing, 2012 Aspen Sentry

There are no strangers here, just friends we haven't met!