Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Refillable LP cylinders

Re: Refillable LP cylinders

All you need is the 5 or 8' hose that connects from the tank to your stove.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-5-...ingMethod=p13n
    Jimmy
    02 GL1800
    Panama City, FL

Quote Originally Posted by OldCityBiker View Post
    I went to their web-site and it shows a link to the refillable cylinders and it only has a video on using the filler tank. No info on price or how to order and what you get. Did I miss something? Mike
    If you click on one of the links in the first post of the thread it will take you to Ebay for an item, then there is a link to the Flame King store from there.

1998 Goldwing/TriKing trike, 1995 Cycle Mate, 1993 Kwik Kamp
    CMA Chapter #697 On Eagles Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Hog Wild View Post
    If you hook the 20 pounder to a coleman stove that used the little bottles do you need a regulator?
    PC02SILVER is correct. I use a 6 foot hose from Wal-Mart and the regulators that came with the stove or heater. The only extra item I use is a propane filter for my buddy heater. The filter is only used because bulk propane can have a few partials in it from time to time, and the filter keeps them from plugging up the heater burner.

Senior
    2009 Victory Vision
    Aspen classic
    Over night Camping welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Hog Wild View Post
    If you hook the 20 pounder to a coleman stove that used the little bottles do you need a regulator?
    No regulator needed. The regulator is in the part that screws into the stove that the 1 lb bottle screwed into. The hose mentioned from Wally World works and I've been able to get adapters through our propane suppliers that you can just use a regular propane hose. It screws into the part that screws into the stove. The adapter and regular propane hose is much cheaper than the Wally World hose. JHMO
    USAF Retired (66-86) STOC #297
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
    1991 ST1100 & 2011 Aspen Sentry(RIP)

Interesting system. Darn pricey though. Odd how the relief valve comes in under the bottle fitting.

I only recently ran into refilling the disposables when I started using a catalytic heater. I have no expertise and very limited experience with it, but....

- I have already encountered the real risk of leaking relief valves. Very important to leak check.
    - With propane heavier than air, I really don't like the thought of the bottles leaking, gas collecting in my trailer, and waiting to ignite.
    - But the bottle refilling itself has been very easy.

The info below is what I collected by scrounging on the web. Provided "as is" with no recommendations, representations, or blah blah blah other than that it is neither right nor complete, and you can chart your own course.

FYI, it cost me about $20 to get the fittings. If I were to do it again, I would probably get an elbow with 2xFPT instead of the street elbow, then run a short bit of pipe between it and the stop valve so there's more clearance between the bottle and the fittings, with easier access to the relief valve in any position. (see the update link at the start of the article linked to below)

=> see pics in next post for refiller fitting
    --------------- verbiage below clipped from untrusted internet sources....

• Wear safety glasses and gloves. It freezes and spurts.
    • Note 1 - Federal Law forbids commercial transportation if refilled - penalty up to $500,000 fine and five years imprisonment (49 U.S.C. 5124). But OK for personal use.
    • Note 2 - the method below doesn't say it, but most suggest putting the small bottle in the freezer first to get it cold, and get the large one warm.
    • Note 3 - be sure to leak check. Especially the relief valve.
    • See also this link.
    • Propane is heavier than air. Needs to spill overboard rather than into compartment.
    • Empty cylinders: plastic base 384g, metal base 417g (13.5 and 14.7 oz)
    • With 465g/16.5 oz of propane: plastic 849g, metal 882g (29.9 and 31.1 oz)

Attach the 1lb Cylinder to the valve and then open the quarter turn valve. You should here propane rushing in to the bottle. Due to the fact that we have the 5 gallon tank inverted, we are pushing liquid in to the 1lb cylinder. Insert the tire valve tool into the relief valve, unscrew the valve until you hear propane escaping past the valve. I have found the most efficient method is to crack the valve open for a few seconds and then close it. every time you do this, you will hear more liquid propane rushing in to the cylinder.

Continue Venting the gas from the bottle in this manor until you get a small liquid spray out the vent. Once this happens, the cylinder is completely full. Screw the relief valve closed until you hear it click. Turn off the quarter turn valve, and remove your completely refilled Cylinder! a full 5 gallon propane bottle will fill about 20 1 lb cylinders.

When I am done, I cover the top of the 1lb cylinder with a bit of foil or plastic wrap to keep the connector clean and to mark the cylinder as full. If you save the plastic connector cap that came with the bottle, that is even better. IF you need more bottles, check the dumpster at the camp ground, there is always a plethera of them discarded by people who do not reuse.
    Last edited by Big Bird; 03-06-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: add ref to pics

Pics for prior post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image.jpg   Image2.jpg  

if YOU FILL ONE OVER 80% YOU WILL BE MAKING A MISTAKE, WHEN THEY GET WARM THE TANK WILL BUILD TOO MUCH PRESSURE! aT LEAST THATS THE WAY I UNDERSTAND IT. sorry caps lock was on!
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

Quote Originally Posted by lytle1gw View Post
    I have been refilling the old green 1 lb cylinders for years, only difference I put 1 3/4 lb of propane in each one. I fill around 6 before we go camping.

I tried that with an adapter but no luck even getting close to the OEM fill.

2015 Street Glide Special DanceswMtns's Avatar
    To steal an idea from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Quote Originally Posted by maldos View Post
    I tried that with an adapter but no luck even getting close to the OEM fill.
    You have to release the pressure on the small tank to get more liquid in it, otherwise you will only get liquid till the pressure matches the big tank.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1999 Honda 1500
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 250
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100