Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Refillable LP cylinders

Refillable LP cylinders

For those of you that use Propane powered stoves, lanterns & heaters, there is finally a solution to having to keep buying those disposable one pound propane cylinders.

Did you know? ...
    Over 30 million empty 1 lb. non-refillable cylinders end up in landfills every year.
    The cost of a non-refillable cylinder is about 6-7 times the actual cost of the propane in each cylinder.

A distributor for 'Flame King' propane cylinders is now selling DOT certified refillable one pound (16.4 oz) cylinders and 14.1 oz cylinders.
    They also sell a complete refill kit that includes a 20 lb nurse tank, the refill adapter/valve, and two refillable cylinders.

The cylinders are constructed like a miniature 20 propane tank from heavy gauge steel, with a solid brass threaded top, and come with a one year warranty.

No more buying disposable propane cylinders that will end up in the land fill for me boys, I'll save a bundle being able to refill these instead of buying the disposables ...

For more information go to this website ... propane-refill.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-02-25 21.17.51.jpg   2014-02-25 21.20.56.jpg   2014-02-25 21.16.24.jpg  

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

St. Augustine, FL The Nations Oldest City

Re: Refillable LP cylinders

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    For those of you that use Propane powered stoves, lanterns & heaters, there is finally a solution to having to keep buying those disposable one pound propane cylinders.

Did you know? ...
    Over 30 million 1# non-refillable cylinders end up in landfills every year.
    The cost of a non-refillable cylinder is about 6-7 times the actual cost of the propane in each cylinder.

A distributor called 'Flame King' is now selling DOT certified refillable one pound (16.4 oz) cylinders and 14.1 oz cylinders.
    They sell a complete refill kit that includes a 20 lb nurse tank, the refill adapter/valve, and two refillable cylinders.

I bought three of these refillable cylinders, and must say, I'm impressed.
    The cylinders are constructed like a miniature 20 propane tank from heavy gauge steel, with a solid brass threaded top, and come with a one year warranty.

No more buying disposable propane cylinders that will end up in the land fill for me boys, I'll save a bundle being able to refill these instead of buying the disposables ...

For more information go to www.flameking.com
    I went to their web-site and it shows a link to the refillable cylinders and it only has a video on using the filler tank. No info on price or how to order and what you get. Did I miss something? Mike

04 GL 1800, 2014 Mini Mate w/ "Add-A-Room"
    Nam Vet 67-68 "Spooky" aka "Puff The Magic Dragon"

I have been refilling the old green 1 lb cylinders for years, only difference I put 1 3/4 lb of propane in each one. I fill around 6 before we go camping.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1999 Honda 1500
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 250
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by lytle1gw View Post
    I have been refilling the old green 1 lb cylinders for years, only difference I put 1 3/4 lb of propane in each one. I fill around 6 before we go camping.
    I had been doing this also, but got tired of finding leaked out propane leaving me with an empty cylinder, not to mention having the stinky propane smell from the leaky fill valves ....
    Those disposable cylinders have valves not intended for repeated refilling ...

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    I had been doing this also, but got tired of finding leaked out propane leaving me with an empty cylinder, not to mention having the stinky propane smell from the leaky fill valves ....
    Those disposable cylinders have valves not intended for repeated refilling ...
    Yep they start leaking after 6 or more fills, then I just pitch them and get some more. I had to make a tool to let off pressure on the old ones so I could get more liquid in. Only our old ones don't go to a landfill, we recycle them as scrap metal. All ya have to do is mash them flat.
    Last edited by lytle1gw; 02-26-2014 at 02:00 AM.

They also sell brass caps that seal pretty well , but yeah I toss them after a few refills also
    2014 Valkyrie Red the fastest color!
    Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

After getting our Aspen camper I went out and got an 11lb bottle that we use to run everthing through a tee post. It will normally last us two weekends of camping even with running the buddy heater at night. Getting it filled like a 20 pounder is cheap. It is a little added extra weight but worth the trade off of packing all the little 1 pound bottles.

Senior
    2009 Victory Vision
    Aspen classic
    Over night Camping welcome

As I work in the propane industry, well at least I did til this accident, it is very dangerous to refill those 1 lb bottles. I know it can be done, there is even an adapter being sold for that very purpose but still not the best thing to do. Those new 1 lb refillable a looks good. I use a little 1 gallon tank that really works great. A little pricey but in the long run much cheaper than the disposables. But then again, I refill my own at work.
    USAF Retired (66-86) STOC #297
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
    1991 ST1100 & 2011 Aspen Sentry(RIP)

I tried using the "contact" form, and it would not send. So I sent a email asking for prices.
    I've seen the adapters for refilling 1lb tanks, and considered the idea. But the thought of what could happen, just makes me cringe. I like this "safer" idea

Quote Originally Posted by Senior View Post
    After getting our Aspen camper I went out and got an 11lb bottle that we use to run everthing through a tee post. It will normally last us two weekends of camping even with running the buddy heater at night. Getting it filled like a 20 pounder is cheap. It is a little added extra weight but worth the trade off of packing all the little 1 pound bottles.
    If you hook the 20 pounder to a coleman stove that used the little bottles do you need a regulator?