Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on an idea for packing

Re: Feedback on an idea for packing

I carry a folding camping stool which packs up very small. It doesn't have a back but I've found most campgrounds have a picnic table/bench on site, so there's not much point for me to pack a bulkier item. Often, the stool never gets used...it's just there in odd instance that a table is not.

I will add this: The packing solutions can be as varied as the gear you choose. The important thing is to come up with a packing solution well before you leave on your trip, and then ride around town with it for a while to see if it's comfortable over time and your gear remains securely in place. Then make whatever changes you need. Even minor annoyances can become very distracting and tiring after hours on the road. You want to eliminate them before hand.

PS: ROK straps are great...better than bungees or rope, for securing your gear on your bike.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

2015 Street Glide Special DanceswMtns's Avatar

You might want to check out my thread on,,,, A.L.I.C.E packs ,,,,,, http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3605
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  
    To steal an idea from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acedantinne View Post
    Dusty, some 1 has made a longer leg extension for there Kermit chair. I believe he stated they were 2 inch longer than stock.
    Maybe he will post up.
    That's interesting. Never heard tell of that before.

To just give you an idea of how much difference the regular leg extensions for the Kermit make, I just took a few shots of it set up beside one of our dining room chairs. ........

Here's a shot of the leg extensions I purchased when I ordered my Kermit Chair.

Kermit Chair set up beside dinning room chair without the leg extensions on ....

As you can see, it has a seat height of just 11" .....

Beside the dinning room chair, with the leg extensions on. .....

With the leg extensions on. it has a seat height of 17". ....

Unlike other chairs, you pack the chair in your bikes bags/in a duffel/dry bag or strap it on the bike, as you can not use it as a platform to pack other gear on.
    Here is a shot of it packed up in it's bag, compared to your average fold up chair.

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

To my way of Leg extensions much longer than what Kermet already offers, could jeopardize the integrity of the chair, possibly causing it to collapse ...
    JMO

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

WOW !! Ken I never knew you had fancy furniture in your igloo I thought all you Canadians sat around on bearskins or something
    Posted via Mobile Device

2004 FLHTC 1982 FLHP 1974 CB360 1996 Kwik-Kamp
    Life Member ABATE
    Helmet Free since 1979

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF61 View Post
    WOW !! Ken I never knew you had fancy furniture in your igloo I thought all you Canadians sat around on bearskins or something
    Posted via Mobile Device

Ya ....... we've come a ways since the 50s, Larry!

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Scooterfool, welcome to the site! Here is my advice for you, first, find a chair that is comfortable for you. While a lot of members here like the Kermit, and from what I've seen it's a great chair, but they aren't for everyone. I don't know what you are riding, but you should be able to carry a dry bag lengthwise on the seat along with the trunk's mounting plate. That's how I carry mine on my Harley most of the time. It sets on the passenger seat and the luggage rack just fine, and it's at least 32" long. You might consider getting the chair it's own bag and strapping beside or on top of another bag that carries the rest of your gear if length is going to be an issue. The chair should be rigid and not sag. You might look into making some type of rack or extender to add to your Givi mounting plate to give you more space. Something like this could be easily made or you might adapt this one with a little creative drilling and spacing.

http://www.aerostich.com/fastrack.html
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    To my way of Leg extensions much longer than what Kermet already offers, could jeopardize the integrity of the chair, possibly causing it to collapse ...
    JMO
    I agree George! Maybe it's because I'm a XXL guy, but the times I've used Bud's I felt I needed to set very still while using it!

Add me to the list of people who don't care for the Kermit type chair, I find them just too darn uncomfortable, with or without the extensions. Although they can be a bugger for me to get out of sometimes I find the bag chairs to be more comfortable.

I had to be creative sometimes but I always managed to find a way to strap a bag chair onto my bike before I got a trailer. On the ST it was usually crossways on top of my dry bag, on the wing it stood on the right side passengers foot rest and was tied off top and bottom. Now that I have a trailer I can go with the large extra comfortable easy to get out kind of chair that fold flat.
    Pete
    2010 Goldwing, 2012 Aspen Sentry

There are no strangers here, just friends we haven't met!

(Threadstarter)

FoxenTek,
    Thanks for the feedback. Checked it out -- and I do have room to move on my seat with the gear on. The chair I'm thinking about folds into a long, round bag (7" x 33"), and between the passenger seat and the mount for the Givi box, it shouldn't stick out too much.
    Last edited by Scooterfool; 02-16-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added name of sender