Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback on an idea for packing

Feedback on an idea for packing

First, I'm new to the site -- and have already learned a great deal from all of you. Some really good ideas and suggestions for gear and travel. Thanks!!

As I begin to pull things together for my first camping trip, I've come up with an idea about how to pack it on the bike. I've not seen it on the threads I've visited, so I assume that this has occurred to others and been dismissed for whatever reason.

I took my Givi top trunk off and am thinking of packing a large duffel bag, tent, sleeping pad and bag, and a chair LENGTHWISE rather than across the seat. I need (want) a chair, and at age 76 find it difficult to get into and out of the Kermit or Pica chairs. The shortest (packed) regular camp chair that I can find is 34" long -- really would stick out if packed across the seat!

Would appreciate any of you suggesting why this might not be a good idea before I invest in a new duffel bag. Thanks in advance.

Re: Feedback on an idea for packing

Hi,

I have packed both lengthwise and across the seat and I feel it is whatever works best for you and that it stays secure. You do need to consider the amount of room you have to move around on the seat, as lengthwise on some bikes limits your movement on the seat. I use a Wolfman Dry bag called the Medium Expedition which holds up to 24". My chair which is actually just a stool is less then 24" but I just bungie or ROK strap it on. You are of course probably looking for an actual chair though. Since the chair could be on the outside of the duffel, you do have some length options.

Duffle bags are good but unless its water proof you might be better off getting a dry bag,you can get them the size of a duffle bag fairly cheap. just my .02 ,and by the way welcome to the forum.

I canít help you with any ideas for a chair but I recently bought a water proof duffel bag from MEC (Mountain Equipment CO-OP) here in Canada.

I have been rethinking all of my camping gear in preparation for this summer. I pack fairly minimal but want to reduce and redistribute my weight even more. First thing I did was replace my GIVI with a 1550 Pelican case for a top box. The Pelican is smaller than my GIVI but the GIVI is too difficult to pack efficiently because it is so round. Then I replaced my 2 dry bags with 1 duffel bag. I put my sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, and motorcycle cover in the duffel. The duffel is sort of square so it sits on the seat nicely. Unfortunately MEC isnít in the US. Iím not sure if they ship to the US.

I use to back pack a lot when I was younger so I approach motorcycle camping much the same way. Iím trying to keep things as light and simple as possible. When I eventually go the trailer route Iíll take more creature comforts and be able to bring the wife along.

Here is a You Tube video on these bags. Iím sure with a little searching there must be a company in the US that makes something similar.

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41FZU2pnrSY"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41FZU2pnrSY[/ame]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aa1.JPG   ab2.JPG   ab3.JPG  
    "...and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." John Donne

I have a heavy duty camp chair I got from Cabela's years ago. Have bungeed it to the rack on the top case several times (cross-ways) with no problem. It was about the width of my side cases anyway, so didn't really stick out any more than they do.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

One possible solution would be to get a Kermit with leg extensions. Worked for me and my two bad (eventually upgraded) knees.

I pack lengthwise but my bag is not even close to 34" long. I do, however, carry a few tarp poles which are about 30" long and I lash them to the side of the tail bag like this:

You didn't say what kind of bike you ride, but I'm going to guess that a 34" long duffel is going to stick pretty far out back. Unless you have a very long rack back there, you may have a problem with sagging which will block the view of the rear lights.

So the idea of turning your bag around is one that I'm very much in favor of, but a 34" long bag may not be the best way to do it. If you can get a shorter bag (maybe a taller one if you have a lot of gear to carry - like me) and lash that long chair to the side, you might be happier with the way it carries.

In the long run, as long as all your gear goes in the same direction as you and the bike, and stops with you when you get where you're going, then you probably did it right. Or right enough, anyway.

Green states, camped in - Orange states, ridden in.
    Jerry
    2011 Honda NT700V, 2002 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 1990 Honda VTR250

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterfool View Post
    . I need (want) a chair, and at age 76 find it difficult to get into and out of the Kermit or Pica chairs. The shortest (packed) regular camp chair that I can find is 34" long -- really would stick out if packed across the seat!

Would appreciate any of you suggesting why this might not be a good idea before I invest in a new duffel bag. Thanks in advance.
    I can understand a normal Kermit chair with no leg extensions, (which is why I bought them) but am having difficulty understanding why you would have difficulties with one with leg extensions (have you tried 1 with them?) or a Pico chair, as I find either one of them far easier to get out of over a regular fold up camp type chair ???

Have you got a link to the chair you have in mind??

A GCI Outdoor Xpress Lounger has a seat height of 17", just like your kitchen chair at home, it has no plastic parts that will break and with a folded down size of 17" x 16" x 2.5", makes a great platform to pack your other gear on top of it.

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

I use a Cabelas water proof bag. This bag holds my sleeping gear. The tent is kept in the left saddle bag. If it is raining set tent up first unpack in dry tent. Just 2 bags. Pack up in morning inside tent.
    Use 3/4 web straps to hold on rear rack. Load so can see clear mirrors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bear Tooth Pass,July 10,2013 010.JPG  

Dusty, some 1 has made a longer leg extension for there Kermit chair. I believe he stated they were 2 inch longer than stock.
    Maybe he will post up.

I use a coleman Folding chair tied to the back. I don't find it overly wide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0121 Wyoming Countryside Full.jpg