1 medium onion rough chopped
    2 carrots rough chopped
    1 15oz can tomatoes
    2 Tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic minced/pressed or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon Herbs De Provence or some rosemary, marjoram, thyme, and savoy
    1 large bay leaf
    3 cans low sodium chicken or beef broth
    1 small bag of frozen mixed vegetables (we like corn/peas mixed but it is whatever you like)

Put olive oil in pressure cooker over medium high heat, when oil is shimmering brown meat on all sides then remove meat from pan. Put chopped onions, celery, carrots into pan and sauté until they are crispy tender. Add in tomatoes, and all seasoning stirring well. Place meat back into cooker. Add broth until you are at the full line on your cooker. DO NOT OVERFILL!

Under high heat bring cooker to pressure. Once weight is rocking reduce heat until the weight is hardly rocking then cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let pot cool on it's own.

Remove meat from pot and pick through it to break it up and remove all fat. Remove bay leaf!!!

Optional Step: I place the pot into the freezer and let the fat congeal on top then remove all the fat from the top of the pot. This takes about 1 hour of setting in a 0 degree freezer or overnight in my refrigerator. You do not have to do this step if you are not eating low fat. Also if I am camping, I skip this step but do use a lower fat meat like round or rump roast.

Put pot without lid back on burner and heat to boiling, put in frozen mixed vegetables and cook on slow simmer about 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Serve with crusty bread.

You can also make this using boneless chicken which you chopped before browning or you can use ground meat to make it. Just be sure to drain all fat from meat and do not use the olive oil.

Total time to table including prep but excluding skimming fat is 25 minutes.

Re: Pressure Cooker - Deb's Veggie Soup

sounds good. Let me ask you I have noticed several items on here pertaining to pressure cookers. Will these get hot enough on a camp propane stove to cook?

Quote Originally Posted by jebcoac View Post
    sounds good. Let me ask you I have noticed several items on here pertaining to pressure cookers. Will these get hot enough on a camp propane stove to cook?
    Yes they will. If it can make a pot simmer, you know it will take to pressure.
    Gary

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

The answer is yes but I will be carrying an electric hot plate that I will use as I don't have/use a propane camp stove.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

That sounds great Deb!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Jeb ... even a little backpacking stove that generates enough heat output to bring a small pot of water to a rolling boil, or a double burner propane stove will work with a Pressure Cooker.

Just make sure if using on the smaller canister backpacking type stoves that sit atop the gas canister, that you keep a close eye on it that there aren't any stability issues with all that weight up high on such a small base.

I would suggest nothing bigger than a 4 qt PC for camping use if using a trailer.

The GSI Outdoors Halulite 2.7 PC that G wizz uses would be ideal for a solo rider, or a pair of campers (if one is a lighter eater) because of it's slightly smaller size, hard anodized aluminum material and shorter handles.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Ken have you ever tried the plastic stabilizer legs that snap onto the gas canisters? I was looking at some at REI and I don't know if they would be as stable as the canister setting on a fairly flat surface.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

>The GSI Outdoors Halulite 2.7 PC that G wizz uses would be ideal for a solo rider, or a pair of campers (if one is a lighter eater) because of it's slightly smaller size, hard anodized aluminum material and shorter handles. <

I am hoping the birthday fairy brings me one of these but everything I am making in the pressure cooker can easily be adapted to a DO. Camping will be an either/or for me. I am not going to carry a DO and a pressure cooker.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I am hoping the birthday fairy brings me one of these ...
    I'm thinkin that old fairy might of heard you ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    I'm thinkin that old fairy might of heard you ...
    I think you might be right