Thread: GL1800 Water Pump

Exclamation GL1800 Water Pump

Has any one ever done a water pump on a 2002 GL1800, need some expert advise as mine is leaking antifreeze.

2006-2011 HD Sportster 1200L
    2011-Present Honda GoldWing GL1800

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: GL1800 Water Pump

Luis, the only thing I can offer is advise I've heard from listening to Gold Wing riders talk about this during some of our Friday night Bike Nights.

1. Pay the extra money and get an OEM pump from Honda.

2. Use Honda coolant, or a silicate free coolant. Their thinking is the silicates in normal automotive style antifreeze will eat the o-rings in the pump.

One of the gentlemen was riding an older Wing, an 1100 I think. He changed his own pump and said it wasn't too bad, just time consuming more than anything. He stressed to be sure and clean all the surfaces very carefully!

EDIT

Here is a link from Bike Bandit showing the picture of the pump, prices, etc for an OEM pump.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...51299#sch96070
    Last edited by Ironheadziggy76; 02-06-2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Added link
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Luis,

How did you determine that it's the water pump? I ask, because it's not a common failure and other less severe issues with the cooling system are more common.

Richard

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    Luis,

How did you determine that it's the water pump? I ask, because it's not a common failure and other less severe issues with the cooling system are more common.

Richard
    I agree with Richard in that they are not a common failure item.

To see if it is in fact the water pump that has failed, there will be coolant leaking (dripping) from a small weep hole underneath and up in rear portion of the water pump, which requires you to either raise the bike up, or lay on the floor and look up underneath the water pump to spot.

It is not uncommon for there to be a small amount of leakage in freezing weather like we are having, with the different contraction rates of aluminum/rubber/metal clamps and some coolant will leak from a hose fitting and run down the front/side of the water pump, fooling owners into thinking the water pump is leaking, when in reality it may just be a rad hose clamp needing to be tightened.

You have changed the coolant in your bike since owning it, right? I change/flush mine every 2 - 3 years due to the amount of miles I put on every year.

I am still running my original water pump on my bike with over 257,000 on the clock
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

(Threadstarter)

Thanks for all the advise, I own a 2002 GL1800 it currently has 53,000 miles, bought it 2 1/2 years ago with 16,000 miles.
    The temperatures up in the North East has been in the 10's, 20's and some 30's, I took the bike for a short ride on Thanksgiving day and that is when I started smelling antifreeze. I removed the antifreeze tank for a closer look.
    I would like to post a video for the more familiar techs on the Gold Wing but I'm not sure how to do it here.

+1 on double checking. I would remove the side covers first, and start looking for coolant seeping down from higher up than the pump. If you see signs upstream from the pump, it's more than likely it's just a hose clamp leaking (more common), or a pinhole in a hose (less common). Whatever it is, you deserve a more thorough check into the symptoms. Although it may not be a hard job to do, if it's not the pump, it's $$$ and time wasted.

Good luck!

Luis,

I'm pretty certain that your problem isn't your water pump. The cooling system on the 1800 is known for those minor little leaks from loose hose clamps. Most often the ones that cause the smell that you spoke of are the 6 or so that sit in a cluster, right below the fuel tank and the top of the engine. You didn't mention if your coolant level was low or not. If it were me, I'd check the level, at the fill neck (not the overflow bottle), and keep an eye on it until you have a need to pull the tank for some other reason, unless you are showing a lot of coolant loss. Your rear shock and preload assy are under there too. When you do get into it, you're likely to find that the tightening nuts for the clamps are not in the most convenient location. Be sure to adjust them to the best angle as you tighten them. Be aware that you can crush the connecters by tightening them too much. I think riding in cooler weather will sometimes make it easier for this to occur.

Richard

You can read more about this situation at www.gl1800riders.com. That board has lots of info for GL1800 GoldWingers. Search on waterpump.

Our Favorite Roads, Until the Next Trip!
    Follow The Adventures of Lemonade

(Threadstarter)

Thanks for all the input, as for now I have to wait for the weather to get better up here. We are getting another 12" of snow this week and we already had 40+ inches so far. I really want to ride but with all the poth holes and black ice, is not going to happen any time soon.