Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How To Charge Toys

Re: How To Charge Toys

Quote Originally Posted by limericc View Post
    I have a battery tender plug that connects direct to battery. Is there a converter plug that goes into that end and allows a cig. plug charger?
    You can find the pig tail cords /plugs, like on the Battery Tender cords, at many auto parts stores, or at Radio Shack ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

You'll want to run 12g wire as a minimum, if you plan on using an inverter. 10g would be best.
    When I run my wiring along the bike, I use appropriately sized split flexible wire loom to protect it, just as I did with the wiring in my trailer build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Junction box on the underside of the trailer at the rear showing grounding nut welded to frame.JPG   forward running lights are pigtailed together.jpg   LED Trailer lights wiring.jpg  
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Dusty, beyond the split wire wrap is there any need for further protection from engine heat when wiring under the tank?

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Other than the odd zip tie to keep it close along the frame rails and off of the engine/exhausts, no.
    Use some shrink wrap on the ends where you make your connections to the male/female quick disconnect terminals/splices.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Got it Dusty. Thanks again to all that contributed. I've now got my weekend plans set.

Quote Originally Posted by limericc View Post
    I have a battery tender plug that connects direct to battery. Is there a converter plug that goes into that end and allows a cig. plug charger?
    try one like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200953121145?lpid=82
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard

I bought a 12v plug from Amazon that connects to my battery tender plug. It works just fine.

I keep the 12v socket end in my tank bag and plug a USB adapter into the socket. My USB adapter has two outlets, so I can power/charge both my GPS and phone at the same time.

Keep in mind that 12v sockets and plugs have a pretty sloppy fit, unlike a powerlet plug. The adapter tends to work loose enough to lose the connection. A little creative work with a rubber band usually solves that problem.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

If you are using a battery tender type connection, be aware that it is fused and sized for 3 amp service. I wanted to use a 12 volt inflator for the air mattress and my Coleman required 10 amps. I got this:
    http://www.powerlet.com/product/heav...ry-lead-24/107

It's fused and sized for 15 amp service. I ran this from the battery under the seat towards the right hand saddle bag. I also put together a kit similar to this
    http://www.powerlet.com/product/lugg...te-sockets/291
    so that I can unplug to remove the bag. Nervous drilling a hole in the hard bag, determine where exactly it won't interfere and then tape both sides before drilling for the bag mount. I think it took a 3/4 inch hole. Now I can charge a phone or device and have it locked away if I'm away from the bike or

Then when I put it on the battery tender, just open the bag and plug it in, no hunting for the end of the cable.

Ground Camper

Quote Originally Posted by GailForce View Post
    My past experiences with camping goes back 15+ years. All this done with plenty of trunk space for bringing everything but the kitchen sink. We would always select a site with electric. Gotta keep the wife happy. This spring I'll begin camping (one up) with the bike and a cargo trailer. Obviously with down sized equipment. I'm trying to figure out a way to not need electric at the campsite. From researching campgrounds that interest me I find a significant cost savings by selecting sites w/o electric. Small electronic devices seem to last about a day or two before charging is required. How have some of you addressed this. Do you simply charge while in route with a 12V plug on the bike? I will carry GPS, Cell Phone and I-Pad. I was giving some thought to installing a charging port in the trailer for the I-Pad. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Install a standard dual 12 Volt outlet. None of those items you listed will drain enough to cause any issues.

I'll charge in route and then I have no problems charging at the site off the battery either. All of those devices draw 1 amp maybe 2 tops, the GPS draws something like a quarter to a half amp.

My friend Mike replaced the batteries in his 4 wheeled scooter/wheelchair and gave me one of the deep cycle batteries he removed. Made an aluminum holder with a handle and put a cigarette lighter receptacle in the end of the handle.

For charging more than one item at a time I bought a spitter that also has a USB plug. I Keep it charged between trips and have never had it go dead on me even on 3 nighters. Keep it in the tent under the cot where I can plug things in at night before going to bed.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211