Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Charge Toys

Re: How To Charge Toys

I have a Goldwing and I charge my cell phone while riding in the front left pocket. I have a hot plug in the rear trunk where I charge my laptop and book reader. I can also plug in my coffee cup to make hot water should I suddenly become too lazy to use my alcohol stove. I too stop and McDonalds or Starbucks to use the internet every couple of days or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Some of the primitive campsites might have a electrical outlet in a washroom that you can use while monitoring that nobody makes off with your device(s) while it/they are charging.

Quite often I'll stop in at a Mickey D's to jump on the internet while I'm touring

and some (not all by any means) provide an electrical outlet by the table that you can use to recharge

I mostly just use one of the 4 12 volt outlets (1 on my dash, 1 in the left fairing pocket and a double in my trunk) I have wired into my bike (1 wired 'Hot' directly to the battery with a 30 amp in-line fuse while the rest are tripped by a 40 amp relay to be hot when the ignition is turned on) for that purpose and a 100 watt power inverter to charge things up while I ride. I also have a 12V DC charger for my netbook that seems to charge it quicker than when using the inverter.
    I have my GPS hardwired to the bike.

Dusty
    Dusty why do you have 2 positive wires going to your Lighted cigarette lighter with glow ring?

I also charge on the go. My wife also pack one of these with her just in case.
    http://www.sfcable.com/SF-PB-017.htm...FQmDfgodlwkAHg
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

I too have the power converter from my cig lighter I had to have on in Korea in our trucks to run laptops

2014 Ultra Classic Limited
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

Quote Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
    Dusty why do you have 2 positive wires going to your Lighted cigarette lighter with glow ring?
    Would love to know how you wired the outlet to the tour-pak and the GPS

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
    One for the actual cigarette lighter and the other is for the 12v bulb that lights up the inside of the lighter, which inturn lights up the 'glow ring' on the outside of the lighter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails illumiated cigarette lighter.jpg   cigarette lighter.jpg   cigarette lighter 1.jpg   cigarette lighter 2.jpg  
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

The weather here in St. Louis cleared up yesterday which allowed for an hour ride after work. It was sure nice to get back on the bike even for a short ride. Once back in the garage I start thinking about some of the ideas all of you had and how they could relate to my situation. I hadn't considered putting a cig socket in a saddle bag till now. Last fall I installed a pig tail to my battery allowing for a quick connection to a 4 stage battery charger. One of the un-used components in the kit was a wire with a quick connect plug on one end with alligator clips at the other. It also has a (7.5) fuse in the middle. I plan to cut the alligator clips off and properly splice the ends to a fixed mounted cig socket in my saddle bag. Now I can plug that to the hard wired pigtail used for charging the battery. This allows me to remove the saddle bag when needed and allows me to charge the battery when necessary utilizing the same pigtail wired to the battery. I still need to work out details for the cig socket behind the windshield. Should any consideration be given to protecting the wires when routed under the tank. Engine temps get pretty hot. Again thanks for the impute.

I was wonder how well teh converter works I always worry about a short or fire or something bad when I can not see it.

One for the actual cigarette lighter and the other is for the 12v bulb that lights up the inside of the lighter, which inturn lights up the 'glow ring' on the outside of the lighter.
    Why not run both to the same fuse? The light can not use much juice

I have a battery tender plug that connects direct to battery. Is there a converter plug that goes into that end and allows a cig. plug charger?
    Lets Ride