Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Charge Toys

How To Charge Toys

My past experiences with camping goes back 15+ years. All this done with plenty of trunk space for bringing everything but the kitchen sink. We would always select a site with electric. Gotta keep the wife happy. This spring I'll begin camping (one up) with the bike and a cargo trailer. Obviously with down sized equipment. I'm trying to figure out a way to not need electric at the campsite. From researching campgrounds that interest me I find a significant cost savings by selecting sites w/o electric. Small electronic devices seem to last about a day or two before charging is required. How have some of you addressed this. Do you simply charge while in route with a 12V plug on the bike? I will carry GPS, Cell Phone and I-Pad. I was giving some thought to installing a charging port in the trailer for the I-Pad. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Re: How To Charge Toys

You didn't mention what type of bike you have, but on my 2010 Wing, I installed a hot socket in the left front farine pocket and I picked up a 3 port bar that I installed in the trunk. That gives me 4 cig lighter ports that I can plug items into for charging. I have them wire to a keyed fuse so that I don't forget and leave something draining my battery when I get off the bike.

Ritchie
    Ritchie & Lyn
    Proud Parents of a Marine, a Solldier and a Salior
    2010 GL1800 Champion Trike, 2013 Aspen Classic

Simply "charge while in route" is how I do it. I ran a power outlet to the trunk of my Goldwing and take turns powering my phone and tablet during the day and night, as needed. Works great for me.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Some of the primitive campsites might have a electrical outlet in a washroom that you can use while monitoring that nobody makes off with your device(s) while it/they are charging.

Quite often I'll stop in at a Mickey D's to jump on the internet while I'm touring

and some (not all by any means) provide an electrical outlet by the table that you can use to recharge

I mostly just use one of the 4 12 volt outlets (1 on my dash, 1 in the left fairing pocket and a double in my trunk) I have wired into my bike (1 wired 'Hot' directly to the battery with a 30 amp in-line fuse while the rest are tripped by a 40 amp relay to be hot when the ignition is turned on) for that purpose and a 100 watt power inverter to charge things up while I ride. I also have a 12V DC charger for my netbook that seems to charge it quicker than when using the inverter.
    I have my GPS hardwired to the bike.

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Thanks for the good advice. Sorry for not mentioning the type of bike. I need to update my Signature Line. We have an 05 Yamaha 1700 Roadstar. I have both hard and leather bags and do swap them out from time to time. With that in mind I'd probably put a double plug behind the windshield wired (w/fuse) to the battery and another in the trailer that would be switched on/off with the running lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Road Star.JPG   Trailer.jpg  

They have little power backs/ battery packs now that are rechargable and you can plug it in to charge all your little USB devices. I have one and have found it to be very convenient.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

I have the same trailer as you do. I charge on the road. Your phone can charge on the bike without the bike running without any problems to your bike battery so I have one of my 12 volt outlets wired directly (fused) to the battery.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

think about a solar panel. Just a thought. Zipp

I added a Powerlet outlet to run my GPS and other electronics but when I got a iphone 5 they didn't have a cable for it so I installed a heavy duty 2 port USB socket that can charge about anything.
    Bill & Sharon - 2007 Triumph Tiger

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Solar is also interesting but from what I've read it always rains when camping. All great ideas. Now I have something to do while waiting for the snow to melt.