Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does your State require a tag for your Camper?

Re: Does your State require a tag for your Camper?

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Traveler
    I've a friend who spent the $$$ on a Uni-go and could not believe the plate size was for a cage. He refused to put anything that size on the Uni. What he did was have a really nice photocopy made the same size as the one on the bike. It now looks right and you wouldn't know it unless your in the know about plate size.

He's had it on there for sometime now without any problems.
    There are quite a few Wingers in Texas that I'm aware of have done the same thing. Laminated it and have never had issues. I'm sure if a cop wanted to be picky he could site it as some sort of counterfeit but seems like most don't even know it should have one...
    Joe (My Travels) 2014 Super Tenere

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow
    There are quite a few Wingers in Texas that I'm aware of have done the same thing. Laminated it and have never had issues. I'm sure if a cop wanted to be picky he could site it as some sort of counterfeit but seems like most don't even know it should have one...
    Before I sold the Unigo, that's what I did and I don't think anyone cared. I did keep the plate itself in the trailer in case someone did care. And the cracked holes should have helped in case the LEO wanted more ammo as to why I didn't have the real deal on instead of the couterfeit one.

I have pulled a trailer behind my Wing from South Carolina to Alaska, and much of Canada, and all of the continental US states. I have never been stopped or question about the lack of a license plate behind my Escapade trailer. South Carolina does not require license plates on trailers either.

I have also towed my pop-up camper across many states (but not as far) with no license plates. Never a problem either.

bill
    greenville, sc / waynesville, nc

(Threadstarter)

Smile Re: Does your State require a tag for your Camper?

I may have solved my own problem. Here is what I am going to do. I will try to find some kind of plastic vanity tag to run on the trailer until I leave for Alaska next June. My personal car (an old 94 Chrysler New Yorker which my wife hates to drive) has my Tennessee ham tag on it. During the 8 to 10 weeks I am gone the car will sit idle. I will install the ham tag on the trailer and I can verify it with my ham license in my wallet. That should cover me. When I return the tag goes back on the car and vanity plate back on the trailer, done deal!

If I understand you correctly, you are going to switch a "vanity" license plate from a car to a trailer.

I would think twice about "switching" license plates between vehicles, trailers, etc...

In many states that can cause you some serious problems, including a very expensive ticket and/or arrest.

Just my .02, but do what makes you happy.
    Last edited by msscull; 10-10-2007 at 11:49 PM.
    2005 Silver Goldwing

A Bad Day Riding Is Still Better Than A Good Day Working!

I have to agree with Msscull. When you cross the border, they have cameras that read your plate. If that plate is for another vehicle you have been had. In your case the trailer plate will be a big red flag and you will spend some time tallking to some very tough folks. Don't what the fine would be, but it won't be cheap.

(Threadstarter)

Smile Re: Does your State require a tag for your Camper?

Quote Originally Posted by motomac
    I have to agree with Msscull. When you cross the border, they have cameras that read your plate. If that plate is for another vehicle you have been had. In your case the trailer plate will be a big red flag and you will spend some time tallking to some very tough folks. Don't what the fine would be, but it won't be cheap.
    OK, OK, uncle, I give up on that idea. I have heard of scanners for tags but did not know they were already in operation or that they had them in Canada. I guess I will just have to go back to license bureau and try again for a tag. One big problem I am going to have is that the original owner of the Lil B never registered it or put a tag on it. He is the Ast. Police Chief in a medium size Alabama town so I guess he could get away with it. Now I have to go back to him and ask him to register it and send the registeration to me. Well, that will wait awhile, in the meamtime I will run a plastic tag with my ham call on it.

Not necessarily going into Canada, but coming back from Canada, we sure do have scanners!!!

If Tennessee does not require tags for a trailer, just go (keep a copy of the law/some documentation from the DMV indicating such if that will make you feel better). Additionally, if they do not require a tag for the trailer, then I doubt you will be issued one.

I feel very confident that you will find one state cannot enforce another state's registration & inspection laws.

Speeding, seatbelts, lighting, equipment, etc... are a different matter.

If you still are not satisfied, go to or call the local Highway Patrol Troop & visit with them.

Oregon gives you a lot of options. First, no plates required for any trailer under 2000 pounds loaded weight. Then, you can register it and receive a title for a one-time fee, still no plate. Third, you can register and license it, and get a title and two year registration for the one time title fee, and an bi-annual license fee of $15.

Motorcycle trailers are about a third each way. I prefer the license plate route because some states - WA, CA, and Canada - get a little sticky with no plates. Just avoiding the hassle.